1966 dart bench seat cover rant......

-

hosehead

Reaction score
So, as my 66 becomes closer to hitting the road, I am in need of a recover job for my split bench. I guess no one makes the dart 170 split bench covers. I would love to get legendary but they show nothing. I have found some brand I've never heard of but Im leery of the quality.
Anyone have any experience with 66 dart two door bench seat covers?
And for my secondary rant.......
I am new to the Springfield Missouri area so I don't have "a guy" like I did in California. I used to get a bench seat recovered that looked nice for under 500 bucks. I have called three interior shops here that have quoted me between 1500-2200 bucks to recover JUST THE FRONT seat!!!
All three have said the same thing. Since I just have a bare frame, it is expensive as they have no pattern to go by with the old seat cover!
I thought thats what these people did for a living?? They can't put new foam and make a seat cover for less than 1500 bucks??? Has this really gotten that expensive??

Thanks for any help. Rant off. lol.

So, as my 66 becomes closer to hitting the road, I am in need of a recover job for my split bench. I guess no one makes the dart 170 split bench covers. I would love to get legendary but they show nothing. I have found some brand I've never heard of but Im leery of the quality.
Anyone have any experience with 66 dart two door bench seat covers?
And for my secondary rant.......
I am new to the Springfield Missouri area so I don't have "a guy" like I did in California. I used to get a bench seat recovered that looked nice for under 500 bucks. I have called three interior shops here that have quoted me between 1500-2200 bucks to recover JUST THE FRONT seat!!!
All three have said the same thing. Since I just have a bare frame, it is expensive as they have no pattern to go by with the old seat cover!
I thought thats what these people did for a living?? They can't put new foam and make a seat cover for less than 1500 bucks??? Has this really gotten that expensive??

Thanks for any help. Rant off. lol.
Reality is setting in. It's a numbers game for the bench covers. Not enough call for them and no one makes the material if it's fabric. Oh and yes, it costs a lot to have a seat made from scratch even if you have the frame and springs. These guys get paid $100/hour and it would take 2-3 days to make what you need.

My guy in Tucson will do the entire interior including door panels cheaper than that. You have left the part of the country where the old world Mexican craftsmen are that do a great job for a fair price.

My guy in Tucson will do the entire interior including door panels cheaper than that. You have left the part of the country were the old world Mexican craftsmen are that do a great job for a fair price.
No more $500 Tijuana jobs?

I was quoted $700 each for the front and rear seats for Vixen. That was them making the covers. Not bad in the overall grand scheme of things, but I'm glad I found some good used seats. lol Upholstery.......GOOD upholstery work isn't cheap.

My father sold his 66 Dart for $50 back around 1980. Interior was perfect. If I had only known.

I’m guessing that classic industries uses one of the bad Chinese companies? They show a cover for a convertible

I paid a local shop here in NE Ohio $600 (labor only) to recover the front seat for my 63 Dart 170 in 2020 with material I purchased from SMS Interiors out of Oregon. They also make complete covers but it will cost you and take a long time. They charged $500 for the rear.

Waiting for Dartwizer to respond to his red X.

Finally! Found an old school guy in Springfield.
He cleaned and painted the frame, redid the foam, made and installed the covers for 600 out the door. That included enough vinyl to redo the rear seat as well once I find one!
I am pleased. Lol.

7078B2DC-361F-4A4F-9CE0-553E0B860486.jpeg

in visiting local to me upholstery shop, front and back seats, (56 chevy wagon) orig was ok, just worn,
quoted 1500 2000, plus door panels,
then 6 mos later, nothing done, I check in every 3-4 weeks,
then he tells me plus foam, and etc,etc,
said closer to 2500 -3000.
so I picked up my stuff, and left,
maybe I'll learn upholstery?

SMA has the fabric, but be prepared to pay $$$$$$$$$$$$ and then wait for a while, I order 1 to 2 years in advance for some Lincoln orders I do.

SMA has the fabric, but be prepared to pay $$$$$$$$$$$$ and then wait for a while, I order 1 to 2 years in advance for some Lincoln orders I do.
Yep. I’m aware of sms. This was just a simple cover needed for a driver car. Not a resto or anything.
Looks like if found my guy here.
I’m installing the seat tomorrow.

-
Back