1966 dart convertible

-
Driver side done, sems landau is great stuff. Bright work turned out great. Any idea on speaker placement?

I've looked and looked for a place to put in rear speakers . there just isn't any good ways to put in a 4 inch speaker at all that would look right. a smaller speaker might but what would the sound be like? the lower seat cushion takes up a large part of that panel and the top mechanism takes up most of the top part. I got luck with mine since I'm using 97 sebring seats and have a 6 inch riser panel in the front part of the seat to make it rear wheel drive compatible. so I can stick some speakers in there under the seat.
mine are going here.
View attachment rear speaker locations.jpg

Driver side done, sems landau is great stuff. Bright work turned out great. Any idea on speaker placement?
I love that SEM landau black for painting interior stuff. easy to work with also. Jim, your car is coming along nicely! I really need to make some time to stop by bench race over a few cold ones. Im off next friday and saturday and on days for a week after that. Hopefully we can get together.

I love that SEM landau black for painting interior stuff. easy to work with also. Jim, your car is coming along nicely! I really need to make some time to stop by bench race over a few cold ones. Im off next friday and saturday and on days for a week after that. Hopefully we can get together.

I'd like that. I'm going to be out of town until the 8th. Ant time after that, or the following weekend is good. PM me, I'll get you my address.

So, here's todays issue. I'm trying to get the dash assembled. I screwed the bezel to the instrument, installed the lights, wipers and ignition. Everything looked pretty good but when I put in on the dash, there is a sizeable gap on the bottom between the bezel and the dash. It does not sit flush.
I wonder are the ears bent? Or does the cluster screw in from the back and the bezel from the front?? UGH!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 251
Jim mine is flush to the dash. I'll see what could be wrong . It is going to change shape a little when you mount the dash in the car. I had to flex the dashboard to bolt in the 2 bottom screws that held in the dash on the bottom sides.

BTW the fresh air BOX is AWESOME. I've never had one that works that easily
thank you very much. I sure do owe ya!

I'll post pic's of mine as soon as I get home.

got home.
here's the pic
View attachment WP_20131003_001.jpg

I checked my other dash that's not in the car and it is slightly warped. I'll see if I can get better pic's of it once I drag it out of the rafters and install an instrument cluster

I may have figured it out. Looks like the ears on the instrument cluster housing got bent a little. I tweaked it a little, just have to be careful with the pot metal!

I may have figured it out. Looks like the ears on the instrument cluster housing got bent a little. I tweaked it a little, just have to be careful with the pot metal!

if it's the left lower tab, you probably have the only other one I have seen that's NOT broken. out of the 6 instrument housings I have there is only 1 that's not broken. all the ones on Ebay I have seen are broken too! I just epoxied a little tab on the one in the pic to help hold it in.

THANKS for the Fresh air box, sure do appreciate it, definitely owe ya one! getting ready to put it in this weekend coming up. then to check fit the kick panels from the vacu-former company(hope he got them right this time.:banghead:)

Any idea which screws connect the radio bezel to the dash? The holes in the dash are quite a bit bigger than the post that accepts the screw. I'm assuming this is for adjustment.
Help is appreciated.
Jim

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 232
  • radio bezel.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 243
Any idea which screws connect the radio bezel to the dash? The holes in the dash are quite a bit bigger than the post that accepts the screw. I'm assuming this is for adjustment.
Help is appreciated.
Jim

looks like mine too! it does have a radio delete plate option in the dash. you could put a thin fender washer (or a small disk of metal over the screws and then screw it in) or just use the radio and cigarette lighter (when mounted) to hold the bezel in, looks like the factory did it that way instead of your smaller screws that you circled . almost all of the ones I have seen were done that way.

back of the radio delete plate
View attachment DSCF4190.jpg

largs Nuts there :glasses7: since only the cigarette lighter would be holding the bezel on for a radio delete. and notice (the large nuts):D they are in the radio holes,not the other 2 large holes. so I'd just install cigarette lighter and radio to hold the part in. also it'll give you a little more alignment room.
View attachment DSCF4191.jpg

radio delete plate front side
View attachment DSCF4189.jpg

mine has large holes in there too and was never radio delete.
View attachment DSCF3594.JPG

My intention was to completely assemble the dash and install it. Should I wait to assemble it until I install the dash??
I'm so confused. I wish I would have taken it apart, I'd know how to put it together!!

My intention was to completely assemble the dash and install it. Should I wait to assemble it until I install the dash??
I'm so confused. I wish I would have taken it apart, I'd know how to put it together!!

it's easy to re-assemble it, you just need to know what screws go where.
you've got 2 long screws(no idea why they are so long other than leaving room to move the dash after you screw them in a little ways) that go into the kick panel area that fit into the tabs you have on the bottom of the dash. and if I remember right 5 short screws that got in the top channel to hold that in. (I'll take picks of the screws for ya if you need me to.)

if you completely assemble the dash it going to be "front" HEAVY and awkward to bolt up. it might take 2 people to get it up and aligned to the front window bolt holes (put dash in BEFORE window or you'll have a bear of a time bolting it down). the gasket sit's right over the bolts. my dash went in bare so I could align it and flex it to match all the holes. where I ran into problems was when I tried to put the trim, glove box liner and door panel trim on using new screws (#8 x 3/8 or 1/2) the # 8 of today are smaller thread size than yesterdays #8 had to go to #10 and scavenge any old screws I could. they fit perfectly.

after the dash is in and aligned/bolted down. you put in the instrument cluster first, radio bezel covers the right side screws and just go from there.

here is the pic's of the screws that hold the dash in place

hard to see but the bolt is in there. darn flash wanted to go off every time!
View attachment both dash bolts.jpg

it's hidden by the windshield gasket after you put in the windshield
View attachment upper dash bolt.jpg

lower dash bolt (darn flash!)
View attachment lower dash bolt.jpg

how much flex is in it after I removed the bolt
View attachment DSCF4216.jpg

DA' bolts Boss!
View attachment DSCF4215.jpg
side view
View attachment DSCF4211.jpg

A few pics. Things have been slow going. As stated earlier, took the motor to the local Mopar mechanic and threw it on a run stand. Started right up, broke in the cam, no oil from the rear main. AWESOME!!!! Waiting for the body shop to call for paint, getting antsy. In the mean time, tryin to get everything assembled to best of my abilities.

Attachments

• photovent.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 219
  • photoconsole.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 223
  • photokickpanels1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 207
Turbine Bronze was the color of the '66 Dart GT Convertible on the cover of the brochure.

Looked GREAT ! It also had a Saddle interior.

Attachments

• 2091_1966_Dodge-17_low_res.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 2092_1966_Dodge-16_low_res.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 258
I was so close to the turbine bronze, I love that color but thought I would back per the tag. QQ1 red metallic. But, I sure do like the bronze!

So I was wondering a couple things. I started shaking out the regulators today, no wonder I was confused. I have enough for three or four cars. Got the front figured out, back looks a little more complicated. Got bored and decided to throw in the back seat, can anyone give me a good reason not to install the speakers in this location? 6X9s.
Before I hog ringed the new covers in, I put a piece of luaan in the back that I could wire to the frame?? Has any one tried this?
Next, does this thing belong anywhere on the car???? Found a few more mystery parts, I'll put up later.
As always, thanks.
Jim

Attachments

• speaker locate.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 219
  • photo 1.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 235
So I was wondering a couple things. I started shaking out the regulators today, no wonder I was confused. I have enough for three or four cars. Got the front figured out, back looks a little more complicated. Got bored and decided to throw in the back seat, can anyone give me a good reason not to install the speakers in this location? 6X9s.
Before I hog ringed the new covers in, I put a piece of luaan in the back that I could wire to the frame?? Has any one tried this?
Next, does this thing belong anywhere on the car???? Found a few more mystery parts, I'll put up later.
As always, thanks.
Jim
Just got home from working on a friends car in Georgia.
First of all THANKS!!!!!
I got the parts. DANG they are nice. Thank you very much! don't know how I can make it up to ya though, but if you need anything just let me know.

If you've got room in there then go for it on the speakers. I did a panel for my 97 Sebring rear seat and it's got plenty of room. I have not compared it to the original seat in the wifes car.

the mystery part goes on the door it's the anti rattle piece.. lemme look to see if I have a pic. yup do (not good ones but you'll get the drift)
the wedges go on the quarter panel and they push against the anti rattle wedges in your picture
View attachment DSCF3855.jpg
circled in red
View attachment !!!antirattle piece for door.jpg

hope this helps

thanks again I owe ya big time!

A few pics. Things have been slow going. As stated earlier, took the motor to the local Mopar mechanic and threw it on a run stand. Started right up, broke in the cam, no oil from the rear main. AWESOME!!!! Waiting for the body shop to call for paint, getting antsy. In the mean time, tryin to get everything assembled to best of my abilities.

looking good
glad to hear the motor ran good and no leaks!
I am in the middle of making molds for most of my parts. At least the ones I have that are in one piece anyway. the side panel you have there look awesome. I'm hoping i can repair mine to look that good. nowhere close to getting my engine running yet. heads is in the shop and block goes in next time and money willing! I still have to cut my 2 single barrle air cleaners and graft them together so they look like a mini 2 pack setup for my offy dual single barrel manifold. but that's just 1 step of many to go. it looks like your steaming right along wiht your. should look super good when you get done.

Well Kurt, you're right again. I appreciate the help. I would have never figured those out in a MILLION years. It's getting interesting now, got the front door internal assembled and sorted out, now, I am going to remove them, clean them and set them aside. Got the bucket seat tracks put back together and installed. Leveled them up. Pretty happy with the progress. I wish the paint guy would call.

Attachments

• photoseats1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 205
Well Kurt, you're right again. I appreciate the help. I would have never figured those out in a MILLION years. It's getting interesting now, got the front door internal assembled and sorted out, now, I am going to remove them, clean them and set them aside. Got the bucket seat tracks put back together and installed. Leveled them up. Pretty happy with the progress. I wish the paint guy would call.

Man that car is sure looking pretty. once you get it painted it will look AWESOME. excellent work your doing. I just hope mine comes out 1/2 as nice

Okay.
What do we put inside these channels? There is a huge list of stuff for putting these windows in. Any help is of course appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• doorchannel2.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 210
-
Back