1966 dart convertible

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
Picked this up from a member on fabo. Pretty excited about it. Pretty much all the hard work is done. Tom bought the car in 1981, drove it for a while. When his son got his license, he drove it through high school. Like I did in my youth, he chopped big holes in the kick panels and installed speakers. But fortunately, unlike my 67 belvedere, the dash remains unmolested. After about three hours of hearing the history of the car, we had it loaded up. We shook hands, and as I drove away I could see an emotional Tom taking his last couple pictures of the car.
The first photos are the hard and tedious work Tom had already completed. As she goes back together, I'll post more. As this is a big project for me, I'll sure ill have lots of questions and any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,018
Hmmmmm? I have to figure out how to load more than one pic at a time:eek:ops:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 943
Had the quarters replaced, a few patches in the floor. Otherwise, this car is rock solid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 919
After the metal was finished, up on the rotisserie. Cleaned the underside and under coated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 925
.030 over, trw pistons, new cam, not sure the sizing, might be a gring card in the file somewhere. Edelbrock intake and a rebuilt avs. Should run good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 923
Sorry Tom.
Not keen on the color. Gonna start the filler/sanding etc. and try to get something done before the real body shop guy gets it. So, pulled the motor and trans out.
Previous owner is an old school mopar guy. Painted the motor complete. At first, I was going to camouflage it as a 273, original motor but not sure now. He had picked tr4 graphic red. But, I think I'm going back to the original color which is a dark plum looking. But, he is looking for the fender tag so I don't have the paint code. I'm sure I could research it. When he took it apart, he also had the protecto plate. I really hope he can find that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 927
Ok. So the engine and trans are out, all the trim is shook out but I have some mystery pieces. Can someone identify them please?
Thanks.
Jim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 883
mystery pieces.
Can someone tell me how to upload more than one picture???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 888
mystery pieces.

Those are bolted to the top frame. Mount length wise. They basicly serve as the place where your seals for the side glass) seal to the top frame.

mystery pieces.

for uploading more than one picture.
go to the advanced messaging and click on the paper clip choose one at a time until you are done or have filled up the list.

try these pic and see if it helps
1 ,2 5 and 6 are door panel top trim in pic # 2
3,4,7 and 8 are top channel trim to put the window seals in in areas marked in pic 3
View attachment !!!!!mystery pieces explained.jpg

might this be red poly??
View attachment !!!!door panel chrome goes here!.jpg

View attachment !!!!top seal chanels.jpg

Sorry Tom.
Not keen on the color. Gonna start the filler/sanding etc. and try to get something done before the real body shop guy gets it. So, pulled the motor and trans out.
Previous owner is an old school mopar guy. Painted the motor complete. At first, I was going to camouflage it as a 273, original motor but not sure now. He had picked tr4 graphic red. But, I think I'm going back to the original color which is a dark plum looking. But, he is looking for the fender tag so I don't have the paint code. I'm sure I could research it. When he took it apart, he also had the protecto plate. I really hope he can find that.

look at the paint chips for that year at.... ummmm.... dang I forgot the name of it but it's a chrysler historical site that a lot of the people here use for specific year info.
they(some one on the internet, not the historical place) makes replacement protecto plate pockets. if you do find your plate you can get a new pocket.I mangled mine trying to get it off.

look at the paint chips for that year at.... ummmm.... dang I forgot the name of it but it's a chrysler historical site that a lot of the people here use for specific year info.
they make replacement protecto plate pockets if you do find your plate.I mangled mine trying to get it off.

Kurt, when I'm finished, not if but when, I'm driving to florida to buy you a beer. Or ten. I did send a copy of the title and bill of sale to the Chrysler archives to get a copy of the broadcast sheet. I was going to get a fender tag made, but I was lucky enough to find it tonight lurking in a box with about 20# of nuts, bolts and fasteners. I should consider myself lucky, almost everything is there. It definately took me longer to shake out than I thought. I would like to find the original protecto plate. I was considering dark red or Turbine bronze, but after re thinking it, I may go back to the original color. I thought it was maroon poly but the tag I think says bright red????
Again, thanks for your help, you'll probably be sick of me by the time this is finished.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 877
I think this is what he was talking about.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

you wont get a copy of the broadcast sheet from Chrysler Historical what you will get is called an IBM card. it is a univac 80 column punch card that needs to be deciphered. This card is what your fender tag and broadcast sheets are made from. when you get it 4 - 6 weeks give me a buzz I would be happy to decode it for you.

Kurt, when I'm finished, not if but when, I'm driving to florida to buy you a beer. Or ten. I did send a copy of the title and bill of sale to the Chrysler archives to get a copy of the broadcast sheet. I was going to get a fender tag made, but I was lucky enough to find it tonight lurking in a box with about 20# of nuts, bolts and fasteners. I should consider myself lucky, almost everything is there. It definately took me longer to shake out than I thought. I would like to find the original protecto plate. I was considering dark red or Turbine bronze, but after re thinking it, I may go back to the original color. I thought it was maroon poly but the tag I think says bright red????
Again, thanks for your help, you'll probably be sick of me by the time this is finished.

hey glad to help.

Sometimes it can be frustrating trying to get parts and things identified and where they go. It's a very good group on here that can help you out.
qq1 paint code, I think comes out as red poly.(the fender tag looks maroon to me but you know designers) I LIKE that color. my 67 was that color. I wanted to paint the wife's dart that color with a pearl white interior and white top but Nooooooo she want's the brilliant blue metalflake(and the white interior) that she had on the custom 65 Satellite I did for her in the 80's (darn near bass boat metal flake) but I'm going a lot smaller flake and try to convince her she was wrong or doesn't remember on the size.:D and I AIN'T doing the panel lace thing again! she loved it but DANG it was gaudy! It had a 440 4 speed and she flogged the heck out of it.

as for being sick of ya...nah, you should have seen me trying to figure out mine! so not a problem.

-
Back