1966 Dart GT 273/235 HP 4 speed

-

coalman

Reaction score
What were the standard wheel sizes for this car? Thanks a bunch

A friend of mine bought one new and it came with 13 inch wheels. Didn't take him long to put 14 in mags on it.

What Dart "package" came with 14's? What hubcaps/wheelcovers were available? I haven't seen a 65 or 66 Dart with factory installed 14" wheels.

The GT's had a HD suspension option which included 14x5.5" wheels, sway bar, 6 leaf rear springs. Here is a copy of the ordering information for a 66 Barracuda. The Formula S had all the goodies. My 66 Dart GT has the suspension package also with all the goodies you see listed.

Attachments

• Dart first of october 25.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 1966 barracuda code list page1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 221
Toolmanmike, my point exactly. You listed the Barracuda packages. The many 65-66 Dart's that I have seen came with 13's.

Toolmanmike, my point exactly. You listed the Barracuda packages. The many 65-66 Dart's that I have seen came with 13's.

Because the Darts didn't necessarily have a model like the Formula model, the GT was the one. I believe you had to Order the HP273 and the HD suspension on the GT to get all the goodies. I have some info filed away somewhere about all this but I just found the Formula info on the internet as a example. From what I understand, the Formula package had all the goodies.

So far I know it depends on the front brakes.

If You had disc brakes, You had to have 14'', because 13'' did not fit with disc brakes.

My '66 Valiant had factory disc brakes and therefore 14'' wheels.

And quite rare hubcaps...

So far I know it depends on the front brakes.

If You had disc brakes, You had to have 14'', because 13'' did not fit with disc brakes.

My '66 Valiant had factory disc brakes and therefore 14'' wheels.

And quite rare hubcaps...

That much is true but I have 10" 4 wheel drum brakes with 14x5.5" wheels.

Because the Darts didn't necessarily have a model like the Formula model, the GT was the one. I believe you had to Order the HP273 and the HD suspension on the GT to get all the goodies. I have some info filed away somewhere about all this but I just found the Formula info on the internet as a example. From what I understand, the Formula package had all the goodies.

66 Dart had a Rallye pack which included the heavy duty suspension wheels and tires, as well as the wood grain steering wheel. Just like the Formula S or Barracuda.

http://www.autopaper.com/1966-dodge-dart-sales-brochure-color-original.php

I just looked up my fender tag and build sheet info. I have the "Rallye Package" (#368 on the build sheet) which includes HD rear springs, HD torsion bars, front sway bar, 6.95x14 special Blue Streak tires and wide rim wheels. It may also include HD shocks. I see in the option book that the Formula S package gets you much more and includes: Commando 273 4 barrel with single exhaust, tachometer, HD suspension package (sway bar,torsion bars, and HD leaf springs, Firm Ride Shocks, 6.95x14 Blue Streak tires with bolt on design wheel covers, and 14x5.5 wide rim wheels.
According to that information, the Formula S package was much more complete than the Dart Rallye package. I wonder if you could order the Rallye package on a 273/2 or slant 6 car or whether it had to be a 273/4 GT?

I just looked up my fender tag and build sheet info. I have the "Rallye Package" (#368 on the build sheet) which includes HD rear springs, HD torsion bars, front sway bar, 6.95x14 special Blue Streak tires and wide rim wheels. It may also include HD shocks. I see in the option book that the Formula S package gets you much more and includes: Commando 273 4 barrel with single exhaust, tachometer, HD suspension package (sway bar,torsion bars, and HD leaf springs, Firm Ride Shocks, 6.95x14 Blue Streak tires with bolt on design wheel covers, and 14x5.5 wide rim wheels.
According to that information, the Formula S package was much more complete than the Dart Rallye package. I wonder if you could order the Rallye package on a 273/2 or slant 6 car or whether it had to be a 273/4 GT?

Came with the good shocks also.

Yes, You could.

I have the rallye package on my Valiant Station with 273 c.i - 2 bbl.
But it is a special order car.

-
Back