1966 Dart GT Roof Trim?

-

coalman

Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct way to remove stainless trim from the roof and sides?? Thank you very much.....

I figured as much, do you have to remove it or just drop it down? How about the side trim? Thanks a bunch for your reply!!!

FYI there are two nuts inside the hole where the visors mount. Need to remove those. Hidden well...The side trim just has screws holding them on...The top trim pieces are locked together like a puzzle. Have to near remove it all...

FYI there are two nuts inside the hole where the visors mount. Need to remove those. Hidden well...The side trim just has screws holding them on...The top trim pieces are locked together like a puzzle. Have to near remove it all...

Thanks, I need to remove the long piece across the rear of the roof. Are you talking about the ones on the sides that are like a puzzle?

These are the nuts under the trim goes across roof. I’m not sure how to remove the side trim. Dustin
018484E1-D5E6-42FA-8781-982DFF21F54A.jpeg

Thanks, I need to remove the long piece across the rear of the roof. Are you talking about the ones on the sides that are like a puzzle?
Yes the sides have to come off first. It all slides together, holds everything.

How many nuts are there, my shop manual is vague on this. How are those protective caps attached? Thanks for the picture and help....
i haven’t messed with the caps before but I’d imagine they would come apart upon removal. I’d estimate 6-8 but can count tonight. Dustin

Those little nuts are rubber, they just unscrew before you remove the fastener. Screws from the top. There is a few bolts and nuts.

Thanks, I am trying to get a dent fixed on the roof located by this piece without taking the whole headliner down. You would think it would be on some molding clips and just slide off after you detach the side pieces.. Thanks again

Thanks, I am trying to get a dent fixed on the roof located by this piece without taking the whole headliner down. You would think it would be on some molding clips and just slide off after you detach the side pieces.. Thanks again
It is not. Will not slide off.....

You snap off the trim off the clips after you remove the bolts with nuts. Those plastic guards are on the screws that hold on the clips. I just remembered....

I was going to try to use black RTV on the clips to reinstall trim. I sold the 66 Dart so it is not my problem any longer. I think the RTV Black will work ok...

I am working on it, I knew right away you could not get them.... This car is far from a show car, but I sure get a lot of complements on it....

I am working on it, I knew right away you could not get them.... This car is far from a show car, but I sure get a lot of complements on it....
The two trim clips that screw into the roof are the closest to the window. The other trim clips are plastic and just scree into the roof. The rubber pieces on the end of the screws are to protect occupants from injury from the sharp ends of the sheet metal screws.
But as others have stated, to access the nuts on the outward spring clips you must pull the headliner down. Plus, when you unscrew the plastic clips the rubber protective pieces fall off.
Dodge made the stainless trim on those Dart GT's incredibly complex.

The two trim clips that screw into the roof are the closest to the window. The other trim clips are plastic and just scree into the roof. The rubber pieces on the end of the screws are to protect occupants from injury from the sharp ends of the sheet metal screws.
But as others have stated, to access the nuts on the outward spring clips you must pull the headliner down. Plus, when you unscrew the plastic clips the rubber protective pieces fall off.
Dodge made the stainless trim on those Dart GT's incredibly complex.

Thanks, I got a body shop that says that it can do it by just taking the side trim off, I hope it works out.

-
Back