1966 Dart GT Roof Trim?

-
By the way, in case I have to, how hard is it to pull the right roof rail seal & weather strip over the door off?? Thanks

It's not difficult but as someone else mentioned the stainless pieces and the few chrome pieces fit together somewhat like a puzzle. And be careful not to damage the plastic clips that are screwed into the roof.

It's not difficult but as someone else mentioned the stainless pieces and the few chrome pieces fit together somewhat like a puzzle. And be careful not to damage the plastic clips that are screwed into the roof.

Are there are plastic clips under the weather strip over the door window also??? Thanks for the help!

Thanks, I have the RH.rear side pieces pulled, hope that is enough to do the repair.

I just removed mine for paint .
There are screws along the underside of the drip rail that all have to come out.

The weatherstrip has to be removed from the stainless track to access more screws.

There is 1 screw at the forward end of the weatherstrip that has to be removed before starting . It's about 1" back and in the glass run. BTW you can get new weatherstrips form MoparMall.com
Now you have access to the screws in the track, remove all and the track.

Now you have access to remove the drip rail trim.

Remove the sunvisors to gain access to the nut that retains the front over the top part of the side drip molding . You only need to loosen the nut a bit so you can slide the trim outward from under it as you work the trim from the drip rail.

CAUTION : This project takes patience and finesse ! If you get
frustrated , walk away ,
calm down and start again .

Start at the front and work your way to the rear . To remove the trim, it is hooked over the drip rail, gently peal from the underside and work your way to the rear. The side trim is made up of 2 pieces that are spot welded together be careful with it .

As you release the trim past the front cross trim pull it outward to slide it off the loosened clip , then continue to the rear and hope the rear clip isn't so tight that you can barley get the trim to slide outward.

On the GT's the factory worker bends the drip rail inward on the C pillar to bring the trim tighter to the sheetmetal . Before starting check how tight the trim is to the sheetmetal, If its tight it will be a bear to remove.

Once you have the trim released from the drip rail pull it outward to slide out from under the rear clip.

Now the cross trim can be carefully released from the roof clip and slide out of the opposite side.

Now you can start over on the other side if you need to remove all the trim.

Have fun and work slow , Good luck.

I just removed mine for paint .
There are screws along the underside of the drip rail that all have to come out.

The weatherstrip has to be removed from the stainless track to access more screws.

There is 1 screw at the forward end of the weatherstrip that has to be removed before starting . It's about 1" back and in the glass run. BTW you can get new weatherstrips form MoparMall.com
Now you have access to the screws in the track, remove all and the track.

Now you have access to remove the drip rail trim.

Remove the sunvisors to gain access to the nut that retains the front over the top part of the side drip molding . You only need to loosen the nut a bit so you can slide the trim outward from under it as you work the trim from the drip rail.

CAUTION : This project takes patience and finesse ! If you get
frustrated , walk away ,
calm down and start again .

Start at the front and work your way to the rear . To remove the trim, it is hooked over the drip rail, gently peal from the underside and work your way to the rear. The side trim is made up of 2 pieces that are spot welded together be careful with it .

As you release the trim past the front cross trim pull it outward to slide it off the loosened clip , then continue to the rear and hope the rear clip isn't so tight that you can barley get the trim to slide outward.

On the GT's the factory worker bends the drip rail inward on the C pillar to bring the trim tighter to the sheetmetal . Before starting check how tight the trim is to the sheetmetal, If its tight it will be a bear to remove.

Once you have the trim released from the drip rail pull it outward to slide out from under the rear clip.

Now the cross trim can be carefully released from the roof clip and slide out of the opposite side.

Now you can start over on the other side if you need to remove all the trim.

Have fun and work slow , Good luck.

Thanks for all the information, I got the roof dent fixed by just taking the side piece that runs up to the roof trim and drip rail, and the two parts below it. Thanks again....

-
Back