1966 Dirty Dart

-

dirtydart

Reaction score
I recently bought 1966 Dodge Dart GT and here are the basic specs on it.

• 273 V8(Locked up)
  • A904 Automatic Column shift(not sure if it works or not)
  • Champagne color(it is faded so I could be a greenish color)
  • Mostly patina rust no cancer(West Texas car)
  • Bucket Seats
  • Transistor Radio and original dash(No one has cut it open)
  • 13" wheels with original hub caps
  • 4 wheel drum brakes
  • All glass is good with no cracks
Missing parts:
  • Headliner
  • V8 emblem on the left front
  • Chrome trim on front edge of the hood below the word DODGE.
  • Engine and transmission(I recently removed both)
I found the rearview mirror and all of the hubcaps in the trunk.

I didnt go crazy with cleaning it. I pretty much rinsed it off with a garden hose, wiped down the seats, dash and some interior.

After a few beers I convinced myself that I could "unlock the engine" so I armed myself with a breaker bar, cheater pipe and about 5 cans of PB Blaster.
A few days later I pulled the engine and transmission.

It is being rebuilt at Winger Machine in San Angelo, TX. The machine shop says the inside looks great with nothing burnt up and it should be a good rebuild. I decided to go the balanced & blueprined route instead of a stock rebuild. I will provide more details on specs later.

I am not doing a frame off restoration. My main goal is get this sucker running and driving asap. I think it can be done fairly quick.

My friend says my car is a rat rod. I can dig that description.:burnout:

I have been attempting to document this build as best as I can with pictures. I have taken alot. I will upload as I can.

Welcome to FABO from another 66 Dart owner.If you put up ads in the Parts Wanted forum,you should beable to find what you need.Good luck and enjoy the site.:D

Looks like Shitron Gold - at least that was the 66 Plymouyh color (actually Citron). I have a Signet hardtop that color - not for long - going with the dark red metallic over silver.

Does anyone know this card is? Found it inside a pouch in the engine bay.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130506_152333.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,088
  • ForumRunner_20130506_152408.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1,075
finished cleaning the block

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130506_152726.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,088
  • ForumRunner_20130506_152749.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,061
  • ForumRunner_20130506_152801.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,061
  • ForumRunner_20130506_152819.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,086
  • ForumRunner_20130506_152832.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,053
keep that card if it is what i think it is should be a dealer card for keeping track of maitnace and stuff i beleive.....i dont have any......

It is a certi card, for maintenance.
They are very rare to have one with the car, keep it in a safe place.

Yep, it's a Certacard. Keep it safe. I might have to buy it from you. LOL
It looks like its "Gold Poly Metallic" which is a zz1 code on the fender tag. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to FABO. tmm

Attachments

• 074.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,103
i recently bought 1966 dodge dart gt and here are the basic specs on it.

[*]273 v8(locked up)
[*]a904 automatic column shift(not sure if it works or not)
[*]champagne color(it is faded so i could be a greenish color)
[*]mostly patina rust no cancer(west texas car)
[*]bucket seats
[*]transistor radio and original dash(no one has cut it open)
[*]13" wheels with original hub caps
[*]4 wheel drum brakes
[*]all glass is good with no cracks
missing parts:

[*]headliner
[*]v8 emblem on the left front
[*]chrome trim on front edge of the hood below the word dodge.
[*]engine and transmission(i recently removed both)
i found the rearview mirror and all of the hubcaps in the trunk.

I didnt go crazy with cleaning it. I pretty much rinsed it off with a garden hose, wiped down the seats, dash and some interior.

After a few beers i convinced myself that i could "unlock the engine" so i armed myself with a breaker bar, cheater pipe and about 5 cans of pb blaster.
A few days later i pulled the engine and transmission.

It is being rebuilt at winger machine in san angelo, tx. The machine shop says the inside looks great with nothing burnt up and it should be a good rebuild. I decided to go the balanced & blueprined route instead of a stock rebuild. I will provide more details on specs later.

I am not doing a frame off restoration. My main goal is get this sucker running and driving asap. I think it can be done fairly quick.

My friend says my car is a rat rod. I can dig that description.:burnout:

I have been attempting to document this build as best as i can with pictures. I have taken alot. I will upload as i can.

View attachment ForumRunner_20130622_155658.jpg

View attachment ForumRunner_20130622_155616.jpg

Found a engine dressup kit on the shelf at Pepboys for cheap. I got a set of hooker headers on Amazon about 200 cheaper than Jegs and summit.

Yep, it's a Certacard. Keep it safe. I might have to buy it from you. LOL
It looks like its "Gold Poly Metallic" which is a zz1 code on the fender tag. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to FABO. tmm

toolmanmike;
did you add those red stripes to the tail panel or were they already on there?
oh and can I get a full shot of both tail lights and tail panel? I'm thinking of adding led's in that area on mine for running lights and the pic's might help me decide if I'm going to or not. BTW my convertible was originally gold poly metallic and gold interior also! now "cool" vanilla/hint of gold pearl and brown interior.

dirtydart NICE find on a great 66! mine didn't have patina it had RUST but it's getting there.

My engine being pieced back together now hoping to do the breakin and dyno next week.

So I'm headed up to Fredericksburg, TX to a huge swap meet in hopes of scoring some sweet mopar parts. It's a weekend long event.

This was supposed to be one of the biggest and best swap meets in Texas. I was told that this would be a great place to score some good parts, I only found a set of worn out 273 heads and roller cam for a 340. Everything there was either for a Chevrolet or Ford. I got alot of strange looks when I asked about Mopar, Dodge or Chrysler parts. Several people were shocked that I was actually putting a rebuilt 273 back in instead of a big block.

This was supposed to be one of the biggest and best swap meets in Texas. I was told that this would be a great place to score some good parts, I only found a set of worn out 273 heads and roller cam for a 340. Everything there was either for a Chevrolet or Ford. I got alot of strange looks when I asked about Mopar, Dodge or Chrysler parts. Several people were shocked that I was actually putting a rebuilt 273 back in instead of a big block.

Ha I know what you mean about being in chevy country. down here in Webster Florida they have a Sumter swao meet monthly (except July/August,wusses can't take the heat) and I go every month to find some mopar parts and my buddy goes to look for the ford stuff(hey he's my friend) and I put up with a LOT,but he's pushing it with the ford thing . About every 5 or 6 month someone forgets and brings a mopar or ford part,I did score a washer bottle for the dart at the july show for 5 bucks. it was laying in a bunch of poncho parts and sort of caught my eye by looking so out of place! but I think it was because they don't know what it really went on anyway. Ohh and visit Waggin at his spot to see how he's doing.

Balanced, blueprinted and ready to be installed.

Attachments

• 20130905_143046.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 874
  • 20130905_143107.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 896
I may have a video of it being run on the dyno, one of the shophands filmed it with his iphone. The shopowner says he will look into getting it for me since I missed out.

Update:

Due to a miscommunication about the final cost of the 273 build by the machine shop/engine builder the engine install had been on hold since September.

Total cost of 273 rebuild: $9236.64

It made 314 HP & 306 TQ @5900 on shop dyno.

Ever feel like you've been cheated?

-
Back