1966 Dodge D/Dart ~ 'Mystery, Myth and Misconception'

-
The Musser brothers sold Bonzai in '66 to Rotunda who painted it green and renamed it Shotgun. A second Reading area Corvette Buckshot took the record away in 1968, driven by 19 year old Larry Lombardo. Don't know how the D/Dart would have been classed in later years?

Buckshot was recently restored and appeared at the 2012 York Reunion.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHuti_ZItgE[/ame]

Photo of Shotgun and Buckshot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 480
C L Roads

1966 Dodge D/Dart 273/275 HP

NHRA Class

* 1966 ....... D/S ......... 10.60 to 11.29 Wt/Hp
* 1967 ....... C/S ......... 10.60 to 11.29 Wt/Hp
* 1968 ....... F/S ......... 10.50 to 10.99 Wt/Hp
* 1969 ....... G/S ........ 10.50 to 10.99 Wt/Hp
* 1970........ H/S ........ 10.50 to 10.99 Wt/Hp
* 1971 ....... H/S ........ 10.50 to 10.99 Wt/Hp

Unfortunately, the D/Dart was 'not' the right choice for that class.

Best Cars

* 1961 Corvette ~ 283/270 HP ~ 'Dual-Quad'
* 1965 or 1966 Mustang ~ 289/271 HP ~ 'K-Code'

The '61 Corvette was down in the low 12's by '68. Not just weight and horse power, but look how clean it is underneath, and from the front. The '61 Corvette wheelbase was in between the the Dart and Valiant. We saw the A/FX cars and what they were trying to do with weight distribution, not just total weight, although acid dipping and aluminum front ends helped, along with lead weights ( with Chrysler factory part numbers) wrapped around the rear axle probably helped the big hemi's. Chrysler could have done some more with the D Dart, even to compete with the Mustang.

1961 Corvette

One of the Pennsylvania Corvette's.

Originally owned by Richard 'Dick' Hare out of New Jersey. Campaigned in Delaware,
New Jersey, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Sold to Paul 'Pauley' Albert out of Reading, Pennsylvania who set the NHRA 'C/S'
National Record in mid-1964 with a {13.73 @ 104.65 MPH}.

Later, was sold to Bill Travis who campaigned the Corvette in 'D/S' in 1966.

'Rapid Rabbit'
Color; Jewel Blue
Engine; 283/270 HP ~ 'CU Code'
Engine by; Roger Sinistri

[URL="http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/VerneFrantz/VLFPrivate/RapidRabbit61-1.jpg"][URL="http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/VerneFrantz/VLFPrivate/RapidRabbit61-1.jpg"][URL="http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/VerneFrantz/VLFPrivate/RapidRabbit61-1.jpg"][/URL][/URL]

[/URL]

Posted by Richard Hare's son on the stangfix.com
http://www.stangfix.com/index.php?t...-history-warning-corvette-stuff-in-here.5303/

Hey everybody.

I thought I would share a little family history.

My father was a drag racer back in the early days. He grew up in Delaware and raced all over the east coast. He mostly raced corvettes from 57 to 61. In 1961 he won the nationals in Indy in his class. He was racing a 61 Corvette called the Rapid Rabbit.The name comes from our last name which is Hare, and everyone said that he was "quick out of the Hole, like a bunny" The car had a 283 fuel injected motor and was putting out about 315 HP. He used to race against Grumpy Jenkins and even knew Don Garlits. He had tracks pay him to come and match race there so they could bill him as a main attraction. One time the Atco NJ track even had a party to honor him and Don Garlits at the same time.

I have spent the last 25 years searching for his 61 Corvette, hoping maybe someone knew what happened to it. After years of searching I finally have the answers I was looking for. Here is the short and sad story as told to me by the engine builder who rebuilt the motor for the next owner. I found him on a forum a few weeks ago and him and his son are still building engines in PA. He called me and told me everything he knew about the car and it's history.

At the 61 NHRA Nationals in Indy, my dad ran 13.73 at 104.65 mph and took the trophy for his class. In late 62 he sold his corvette to a dealership, because he was expecting his first child, my oldest brother. The car was then purchased by a man named Paul Alberts and brought to an engine builder in PA named Roger Sinistri. Sinistri rebuilt the motor then they took it to Indy for the 63 nationals and were disqualified due to the battery having been relocated to the trunk to make room for the homemade headers installed by my Dad and his mechanic. OOPs.

In 63 it made two record runs at 129.22 MPH to set a national speed record. They then reworked the car again and made it to the 64 nationals Et of 12.73 and won the class.

The car was then sold again to someone else and raced for 2 more seasons. Then it was put away in a garage and destroyed by a fire. The only thing left was the frame and the roll bar.
:cry

This is the sad ending to my dream to some day find and own my dad's 61 corvette. But at least now after all these years of searching, I know what happened to it.

My Dad moved to WI for work in the mid sixties and in 69 made a brief return to drag racing. He bought a brand new 69 Camaro with a 427 Big block and reworked the motor to 600HP and started racing again. He was running mid to high 9's in the quarter mile at about 149 MPH. Shortly into the 69 season he blew the motor on the car and gave the car to his mechanic and crew chief and walked away from racing to raise his family.

Now if I haven't bored everyone too much with my novel. Here are some pics of the car. Cause I know the :rulez.

My dad after winning 61

Thanks for letting me share.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 375
The '61 Corvette's left a lot in reserve.
Moroso's '61 was slightly more modified than Bonzai/Shotgun, Rapid Rabbit, and Buckshot, but he was good at lowering the record for additional points

From corvette form
Ed was one of four partners when Stahl-Moroso was formed. It was Jere Stahl, Dick Moroso, Ed Hedrick and Bob Duffy (of Duffy's Performance, Red Bank, NJ). Duffy lasted about one month and got out. Dick sold his business in Stamford, CT and moved to York with his wife and young son, Rick (who now owns Moroso Performace). They lived above the shop in York. Dick lasted about a year with Stahl telling him what to do every minute of the day. Dick packed up everything one night and headed back to CT to open Moroso Performace out of a 1,500 sq ft store front in Greenwich - The rest of that is history up to today's business in Guilford.

Dick ran head to head with Ed for a couple of years, but always remained good friends. As Dan noted back then you could have a highly competitve car for a couple of thousand dollars. Dick paid $1,000 for his '61 (a 315 hp f.i. car) and in the mid 60s ran mostly a 290 ci engines. Modifications were not extensive back then. The engine had forged pistons (often 12:1), modified heads (Mondello), re-worked crank, and often an Engle Roller cam. Ignition was a modified vette 340hp unit. Headers were Stahl's, Trans was a Muncie and rear was a 1958 Olds unit with 6:17 gears. Back then, stock classes and M/P classes could only run 7" wide slicks. Best times I recall for C/MP was around 11.70 and in D/MP around 12.40 to 12.50. Back then extra points were awarded for breaking the ET record and the MPH record. The trick was to re-set the record by the smallest amount possible. This was through the course of a season you could gain a lot of extra points. You never ran all out to kill the record because in eliminations, when running against cars of other classes, you needed to run a close to your record without exceeding it by 1/10th of a second (if you did you lost. It prevented sand bagging). When you ran against a car in another class the slower car was handicapped against the faster class car. For example, if the record for one class was 12 seconds, and for the other 11 seconds, the slower car got a one second head start. The lights were set to reflect the difference. You can imagine the difficulty in watching a car be a quarter of the way down the track before, before your light went green ! Dick Moroso was one of the best for timing the lights and for applying the brakes at the end so he didn't "run out of the bracket" by running too far below the record. He always had an uncanny knack for setting the record a fraction lower to gain the extra points.

I think one of his crowning achievements was one day at a National Meet at Englishtown. He set 4 records in two different classes (2 ET, 2 MPH) in the one car. The first two were made in D/MP with the car weighing around 3800 to 3900 lbs. In a tweak of the rules, we welded a box to the rear crossmember that contained 100, 7lb bars of lead (the metal box added another 50lbs). In order to launch the car he had to leave the line with foot full to the pedal at around 9,500 rpm ! After setting those two records we put the car back on the hauler and torched the box off the car and got the car reclassified in C/MP. He went out and then set both ends of that classes record. On of the records fell later that day when Ross Gilbert (who ran a '55 C/MP) Chev broke on of them (can't remember which one), but for a brief time Dick held four national records set on one day. Quite an achievement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 430
I'm guessing that is the '68 Stiles Hemi Cuda.

No,

It is Arlen Vanke at the 1968 NHRA Indy Nationals, where he won Super Stock Eliminator.

{1968 Paint Job}

th

Yes,

That photo is from the 1968 Super Stock Magazine Nationals at New York National Speedway {Center Moriches, Long Island}.

Bill Stiles went on to claim Runner-Up in Super Stock Eliminator with his 1968 BO29 Race Hemi Barracuda classed in SS/BA.

Carmen Rotunda won Stock Eliminator with the 1961 Corvette 283/270 HP {Code 'CU'} classed in F/Stock

Note: The F/S National Record was 12.72, but you could dial in your own Index.
{See; 12.82 on the window}

I was there............ July 19, 20 & 21 ~ 1968

Better put up a D/Dart.

If there were no '61 Corvettes around, did the D/Dart have limited local success? Was the 65/66 valiant similar in performance (almost 200 lbs. lighter?/ slightly shorter wheelbase)? Trying to figure out how the Stiles prepped Stahl's '66 Valiant made out and how it was prepped? Were they running the 273's at the higher RPM's in '68 at launch (8-10,000) like the Corvettes. The 273 seemed to hold up well for the Trans Am applications at 300+ horsepower?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 299
1966 ...... D/Stock ........ Top Competitors

#1 ..... 1961 Corvette ~ {283/270 HP Dual-Quad}
#2 ..... 1965 Mustang GT ~ {289/271 HP} 'K-Code'
#3 ..... 1966 Mustang GT ~ {289/271 HP} 'K-Code'
#4 ..... 1960 Catalina ~ {389/348 HP 'Tri-Power}
#5 ..... 1964 GTO ~ {389/325 HP}

Ralph Costa in the Ted Spehar prepared D/Dart was the 'only' D/Dart running in the low 13.00's during 1966.

A few of the other 'prepared' D/Darts were running 13.40's.

On the average, the rest were mostly running 13.70's @ 102 MPH during 1966.

This is a nice publication.
The 283/ 270hp was basically the 315hp with the fuel injection replaced by the 2x4bbl, But the compression ratios were 9.5 to 1 for the 270hp and 11 to 1 for the 275 and 315 hp FI versions. Additionally the car weights look to be 3340 ish (loaded with hardtop)? (2905 shipped) Several racers said they would swap the FI for the 2 x 4 bbl. to run in different classes, but that should have given something above stock 270hp. rating alone. They were typically over bored to 290/292.

From
http://www.vettefacts.com/C1/1961.aspx

CS = 283-cid 315-hp V-8 with 11.0:1 compression ratio, three-speed manual transmission, high lift camshaft, and fuel injection

CU = 283-cid 270-hp V-8 with 9.5:1 compression ratio, three-speed manual transmission, high-lift camshaft and dual four-barrel carburetors

[ame]https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Corvette/1961-Chevrolet-Corvette.pdf[/ame]

Could the 61 Corvette's 270 hp performance (stock) be anticipated - High 12's in 66 and lower 12's by 68 from the stock data published?

Starting back in 1963

1964 ....... C/Stock .. 10.60 to 11.29 Wt/Hp

The 'cars to beat in class' was the 1960 Pontiac Catalina {389/348 HP} Tri-Power
owned by Dick Hill out of Marion, Pennsylvania, and Paul 'Pauley' Albert in the
1961 Corvette {283/270 HP} out of Reading, Pennsylvania.

Both cars were routinely running between 13.70' s thru 13.90's and could not be beat.

In early-1964, Paul 'Pauley' Albert set the East Coast C/S National Record with a 13.73 @ 104.65 MPH

But by mid-1964, Dick Hill was running 13.60's @ 104 MPH, and was clobbering everybody
at the Points Meets in the Northeast and Ohio.

Dick later captured the C/S National Record with a 13.61 @ 104.90 MPH

And in early-1965, Dick 'smashed' his own C/S National Record with a 13.29 @ 106.88 MPH.

[URL="https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608004534296971354&pid=15.1&P=0"][URL="https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608004534296971354&pid=15.1&P=0"][URL="https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608004534296971354&pid=15.1&P=0"]
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

1966 ...... D/Stock ........ Top Competitors

#1 ..... 1961 Corvette ~ {283/270 HP Dual-Quad}
#2 ..... 1965 Mustang GT ~ {289/271 HP} 'K-Code'
#3 ..... 1966 Mustang GT ~ {289/271 HP} 'K-Code'
#4 ..... 1960 Catalina ~ {389/348 HP 'Tri-Power}
#5 ..... 1964 GTO ~ {389/325 HP}

Ralph Costa in the Ted Spehar prepared D/Dart was the 'only' D/Dart running in the low 13.00's during 1966.

A few of the other 'prepared' D/Darts were running 13.40's.

On the average, the rest were mostly running 13.70's @ 102 MPH during 1966.

-- Ralph and Ted's car was down in the 12.90's @105 at the end of the year.

-- I believe the cars in the 1966 Trams Am Series were built to FIA specs. Supposedly, 500 production Barracuda's were built to race in the series. At least that is what the documentation sent by Chrysler to the FIA states.

Paul,
A while back, I ran across a website that had all the NHRA ET and MPH records listed by year. Any idea where I can find it?
Alan

Alan,

Let's not forget, that Ted Spehar was the 'Guru' on making cars run.

Not everybody had access to his wisdom and 'tricks'.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below, East Coast National Records as of May 15, 1965

scan0001-5.jpg

Thank you for sharing the list. The Shallcross Bros. were Chevy guys (dealership) just south of Wilmington, Delaware. Recognize some of the other names from above discussion.

From Detroithorsepower.com
"And speaking of having a bad day at the track...this was definitely not a good one for the Shallcross Bros. According to the issue of Raceway News that covered the events that took place that spring day in 1970, Sam Auxier Jr.'s Ford Maverick was pulling extremely high wheelstands during that Sunday morning's Pro Stock qualifying session.

The Shallcross Bros. Nova was paired up against Auxier's Maverick in the first round of that day's Pro Stock show. Down came the lights and up, up, up in the air went Auxier's Ford with the car starting to cross the center line veering into the right lane--Fred Shallcross' lane. So, to avoid a nasty collision, Fred was forced to go off the track and ended up parking his car right on top of the wooden guardrail.

Although he escaped unhurt, the car was not as lucky. According to the Raceway News coverage of this incident, all the money that was paid to the winner and runner-up was donated to the Shallcross Bros. in order to defray the costs of repairing the car. A big round of applause to those racers way back when who put their fellow competitor's needs ahead of theirs.
Harry (aka homeuzer)"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 360
Aug/Sept 2014. Trans Am is back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 282
Their latest accomplishment.

https://www.dtcc.edu/about/news/2014/03/27/automotive-program-breathes-new-life-classic-car

So to come up with Frank Adkins/ DTCC info above, I was in a class and the last introduction in the room was "my hobbies are vintage cars and nostalgia drag racing..." Nice! I was able to further my respect for today's nostalgia drag racers. Third one I met this summer from the Cecil Nostalgia drags/ show and he was also at the York nostalgia drags with his front engine dragster.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 241
-
Back