1966 Dodge Dart GT

-

SassyGrass71

Reaction score
Just brought this home last night. slant six/auto/bench seat car. Had a few questions about it. I am in need of a stock steering wheel, complete setup. This one has an aftermarket wheel in it and it shorted out the horn wiring. Is it a 66 only steering wheel, or are other years the same. Also was wondering about bucket seats/console shift. 1966 only or will other years interchange.

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Just brought this home last night. slant six/auto/bench seat car. Had a few questions about it. I am in need of a stock steering wheel, complete setup. This one has an aftermarket wheel in it and it shorted out the horn wiring. Is it a 66 only steering wheel, or are other years the same. Also was wondering about bucket seats/console shift. 1966 only or will other years interchange.

Thanks in advance,
Sam

NICE car (but I might be biased since I have 2 66's myself:glasses7:)
if you don't need it factory correct then you can use later years console. some have the stripe down the middle and some don't and I don't remember which is which.
this is the 66 interior. but it's a GT style and I think a later console,with stripe. gotta go look at my wife's to make sure. I think hers is smooth. so the dash will look different than the 270 style. steering wheel is a 2 spoke some have just a cap like memikes(I like that style but it's a plymouth thing I think.). shifter linkage is slightly different from 66 to 67 but should work also. my 66 has a oval boot on the linkage and the 67's (I think) have the round one similar to the e bodies
View attachment !BW)QyVQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBKY9bihWcw~~_12.jpg

here's a 68 style interior that I found ion the web. shifter handle is WRONG. and probably a lot more that I don't know about on the 68's
View attachment 1968-dodge-dart-gts-interior.jpg

bucket seats for the 1966 gt have a hard back instead of the cardboard back covered in vinyl. you can see it in the lower part of the first picture.
with that being said if you not worried about going correct. yup you can use (64 65 soft backed seats ) 66(hard backed) dart buckets, I think 64 65 66 barracuda's/valiants but have the softer cardboard backer. 66(maybe 67) chargers also fit but have a wider chrome strip on the hard back and the back fits on my 66 seats(I like the wider chrome strip from the chargers and that's what is going on the wife's restoration of her 66 dart). not too sure about 63' A's though. but they might fit too, someone will know for sure on that. get the stiffening plates with the seat tracks if you can OR make them up from 1/8 steel to STOP them from ripping through the floorboard.

Thanks for the info. Seems like everytime I do a search for 66, I come up blank. lol

Thats a sweet little car. There's a few things that are updated on the 66 a-body that stayed the same up until the 70s. Interior style was pretty much one year only each year (bucket seats were 66-67 models only), and the dash is one year only and also different through the models. It also was the first year for the slip yolke style trans and the first year to get rid of cable opperated transmissions in a-body models. And the first year for the updated door locks.

-
Back