1966 Formula S Leaf Springs

-

dschem

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1966 Formula S that at present has a set of the Super Stock leaf springs from Direct Connection. I am interested in trying to find an original set of leaf springs for my car.

The build number of the leaf springs is 804 which from what I understand should be the last 3 digits of the leaf spring part number.

I at present have a set of A body leaf springs with the part number 3400081. Are these the same as what would have originally come on my car?

Thanks

Dave

The build number of the leaf springs is 804 which from what I understand should be the last 3 digits of the leaf spring part number.
Someone else may be able to help with what type of number was stamped or painted onto the leaves by the factory.
When I've looked through the part books, there is a part number for the main leaf,etc, and also a part number for the assembled spring packs.

I at present have a set of A body leaf springs with the part number 3400081. Are these the same as what would have originally come on my car?
I don't think so. That's probably a 70's part number.
From the Rally chapter in the Direct Connection Mopar Chassis book, the '65 (maybe 66) Formula S springs were 2495 086.
By 1967 most of the A-body leaf packs have a part number starting with 2808 except 225cid equiped cars which get 3004 575 and 6.

Searching Stengel Bros website they cross ref 3400081 to 78-609, probably made by Stanley (although Triangle uses the same numbering system). Unfortunately no specs and not stocked.
78-609 Leaf Spring Assembly
However that crosses to 78-611 which is a Plymouth a-body spring.
78-611 Spring

Here's their listing for Barracuda Springs
Plymouth Barracuda Leaf Springs - Stengel Bros Inc.

and Valiant
Plymouth Valiant Leaf Springs - Stengel Bros Inc.
so 78-611 is their replacement for 1970-72 with V-8 or heavy duty optioned slant six.
free arch and spring rate (infered from load), leaves and pack thickness are the things to compare.
The barracuda has more weight on the rear than a comparible Valiant so might need a little more spring rate (load) or a little more free arch to end up sitting at the same hieght. They might have run it a little lower, just as the FSM specification for the front ride height of Barracudas was lower than other a-bodies (at least for '67-9).

No luck with 2495086 but you might want to verify that with a parts book anyway as the DC manuals have lots of typographic and editing errors.

Hello,

I talked to a restorer and he said that the number on my build sheet should correspond to the last three digits of the part number on the spring. My build sheet says 804 for the leaf spring on both sides.

So working off that information.

Dave

Hello,

I have a 1966 Formula S that at present has a set of the Super Stock leaf springs from Direct Connection. I am interested in trying to find an original set of leaf springs for my car.

Thanks

Dave
You should start a wanted thread. You never know what might surface.

Hello,

Yep did that and I have a couple of possibilities.

Just wondering here if anyone knows what the leaf spring part number was for the 66 Formula S.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
-
Back