1966 Hemi 4 door ?

-

65-440

Reaction score
Just found out that Dodge put out 2 1966 Hemi Coronet 4 door cars. I've never heard about these before. Anybody have info or pics of these ? Wonder where the hell they are today !

Back in the late 70's I had heard a rumor about one of them being parked in a pasture in mid Kansas.

Mopar Collector's Guide,did an article on an light blue one.It made it's way overseas,IIRC,Norway.Being restored. I heard of four built.

one was in Mopar Muscle I believe a few years back. It was an FBI car. a 66 4dr Hemi 4door Dodge Coronet.

Light blue one is -67 Plymouth Belvedere and it was sold new in Finland. And still is in Finland. Supposed to be one of one 4 door Hemi Plymouth.

_full.jpg

I asked about this when I first joined, the answers I got are "rotting away somewhere or long gone" or alternatively "Chrysler used that as padding for the numbers on the Hemi"

The unspeakable things I would do to drive a 4 door Hemi car...

Didn't they put them in the 66's back then and were called HP2

Ma Mopar made alot of things that never were. I guess if the right boxes were checked off on the order sheet,, they would build it.
Since we are into A bodies, Only once in Denver did I see a 67 Dart 273 hypo 4 door. The car was not restored and the owner had the paperwork/buildsheet with the car. It was for sale at a swap meet back in 2000.

There was a number of them made,the first time I heard of them was a article on the red one found in Kansas driveway. It still had a plaque on the dash with the original owners name on it that the factory put on it. Seemed he wanted a 4-door with dual 4-barrels and Dodge was the only ones that would build it, or so the article said.
I've seen pictures or articles on 5 or 6 4-doors, there was 1 wagon built, years ago it was in Ohio, the guy was racing at the Mopar Nats, it was white and he had the original Hemi stored away.

That's some good info guys, from what i read yesterday they built 2 '66 4 for hemi coronets. Had something to do with nascar guidelines and just to show the public they could put a hemi in a normal car not only race cars. Wonder if grandma drove conservatively in one of those !

Just found out that Dodge put out 2 1966 Hemi Coronet 4 door cars. I've never heard about these before. Anybody have info or pics of these ? Wonder where the hell they are today !

I've seen both Dodge Coronets in person.
The red one under the trees at Spring Fling in 2005 (I think). That was the year I lost my camera so I'm not sure if I have a picture.

And the other 2 years ago at an open house at BE&A. I have quite a few pix of the one being restored by BE&A as it was on a lift and spent the whole day going up and down. It was very close to being completed.

I just fell in love with that 67 Belvedere!! Pretty sure I'm gonna need to get one someday!! And now I'm REALLY kicking myself for not stopping at Don Garlitts museum last week!!

I have been to the Drag Race Hall Of Fame in Ocalla Florida and somewhere I have pics of the Hemi 4 door I think it is white if I remember ?
Anyone who likes drag racing needs to go there !!!
Jim

Here is one in action :glasses7:

Attachments

• b75.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 294
they made more than four, another was in Omaha in 1966, dark blue. I filled it every Saturday, at .29 cents a gallon working at my Dads Mobil station. better yet, recently my 76 year old brother casually reminisced about my dad welding a receiver hitch on a good friend's 66' Hemi coronet wagon in order to pull their Bass boat to Minnesota. It had been ordered new just a year before before my dad passed away. No pictures, but Dodge would order anything you wanted back then, and was poor on paperwork, it did exist never the less. I'm going through my dad's old paperwork for the station to find that friends family, and see where that car went. A labor of love.

in wichita ks in the late 60 a local racer ordered a 1966 4 door. he had to have a car with 2-4 bbl. in 66 the only dodge engine was a hemi. thats the story i heard back then.

-
Back