1966 Optional switches: Rear Air & Hazard flasher. (I need info)

-

brkooduh66

Reaction score
Attaching a photo which shows 2 extra switches under the Headlight switch and the Wiper switch. I am assuming these are Rear Air toggle & Hazard flasher push button.
The photo is from a SOLD nicely restored 1966 Barracuda, so i'm assuming they are not leaving hack switches and wiring in it. I emailed the seller but didn't get a response.

After confirming these switches i want to try to duplicate them in my 1966 Barracuda.

If anyone knows anything that would be amazing to get any info. Regards.

Jeff

link to the car page 1966 Plymouth Barracuda

66 barracuda switches.jpg

Last edited:
I think both were optional accessories. The rear air defroster hardware in the rear will be hard to find; the switch not as hard and the wiring harness can be duplicated.

The hazard harness was constructed with 2 connectors so that the 1 connector plugged into the turn signal harness and the other to the dash harness with a separate wire to the flasher. The other wire from the flasher goes to the fuse block. If you have the connectors, the correct terminals and switch, the harness could be duplicated. I had a NOS assembky. But ended up selling it i made one for a 65 Coronet i had and it worked perfectly. I have everything to duplicate that harness and if I ever got off my lazy butt, I could do it;it’s just a real low priority right now

Last edited:
The original hazard switches are a special oddball. They are 4 terminal, all open when off, all 4 connected when on. One terminal is incoming power from the hazard flasher, one terminal goes to right front, one to left front, and last one to brake light switch line running from brake switch into column turn switch.

You can duplicate that switch action with a common single pole switch and 3 rectifier diodes, say, 5-10A and at least 24V PIV

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/n-o-s-rare-emergency-flasher-kit-1966-barracuda.454853/

browsing on here i just now found this. looks like the light is part of the flasher kit
Interesting. My 66 Barracuda has that light for the brake warning light. Was it an either/or option, or were there 2 lights if you got both brake warning and hazard lights? Or did they use the same light for both? My first 66 Barracuda that I bought in 1976 had hazards, but I can't remember if the light was dual purpose.

Attaching a photo which shows 2 extra switches under the Headlight switch and the Wiper switch. I am assuming these are Rear Air toggle & Hazard flasher push button.
The photo is from a SOLD nicely restored 1966 Barracuda, so i'm assuming they are not leaving hack switches and wiring in it. I emailed the seller but didn't get a response.

After confirming these switches i want to try to duplicate them in my 1966 Barracuda.

If anyone knows anything that would be amazing to get any info. Regards.

Jeff

link to the car page 1966 Plymouth Barracuda

View attachment 1716060630
Looks like that car has the rear defogger system and hand brake warning light. I'm not sure (and have never seen) how things would be mounted if they also wanted the emergency flasher option also. Is there enough room there for all three? Nice looking car with a few changes and upgrades. Some things aren't factory correct for the car if you want to nitpick. It's an early '66, so, it looks like the grille emblem and rear deck emblem have been changed to the later '66 (fish) version. The brake and clutch pedal pads are the wrong year. The upper radiator hose and bypass hose have the wrong clamps. It has a later power steering pump and brackets. Aftermarket antenna. What's the deal with those rear axle lowering blocks? The negative battery cable should be attached to the drivers' side cylinder head, not the intake. The carb accelerator cable stud is for an automatic, not a manual trans. No radio code. but, has a radio. Wrong VIN rivets. Wrong inside rear view mirror head. Mismatched seat belts. Heater hose clamp cushion missing.

Last edited:
Mark, you should be the Go To guy on 66 Cudas like Ulf is for 65 DartChargers

Last edited:
I've had about 20 of them over the years (still have 3 of them), so, I have learned a few things :lol:

i found the instructions for the Mopar flasher kit and i clear describes installing the little red light and the toggle in these exact location as this Barracuda that i posted. Not that some other kit may want the same location, but to me this is the flasher kit on this car.

flasher kit number 20200519_184914.jpg

4a10e464-a263-4137-be04-8e1fbd14ea16-jpeg.jpg

66 barracuda switches.jpg

i found the instructions for the Mopar flasher kit and i clear describes installing the little red light and the toggle in these exact location as this Barracuda that i posted. Not that some other kit may want the same location, but to me this is the flasher kit on this car.

View attachment 1716061152

View attachment 1716061154

View attachment 1716061155
The reason I concluded that it was a rear defogger option is that you can see the air intake grille in the right rear interior panel in one of the photos.

-
Back