1966 Plymouth Valiant 200

-

kyler

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just bought a 4 door Valiant 200, 226 6-cylinder and three speed automatic transmission. It is a complete, original car and I drove it sixty miles to get'er home! I am extremely new to the world of Mopar and am happy to be a part of this new community!

My car is complete, but has a few small damaged/incomplete pieces that could use replacing soon. What is a good outlet for parts? I need a passenger side reverse light, the knob ends for the heater controls, and eventually a radiator. I also need some seat covers... any recommendation there either?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 252
Welcome to FABO. Your best source of parts is right here, since nobody really repops anything for those Early A's. As for seat covers, I recommend Legendary Interiors. Great quality stuff that's easy to install.

Welcome from Gig Harbor! There's an excellent source of reproduction parts in Lakewood, WA called Layson's. I really doubt that Legendary makes seat covers for 4 doors. If originality is a priority, SMS Auto Fabrics near Portland will have the raw materials that a local auto upholstery shop can use to make your seat like new. Also, have your original (if it is) radiator fixed at a local radiator shop.

Thanks for all of the great replies! The guy that I bought my car from was actually commuting to Gig Harbor every day in it so I am sure you caught a glance of it at least once!

I have been working on it since I got it and have done all of the minor things that it needed before driving. She is insured and on the road! I drove it to work today which marks the start of my daily commute in the Valiant. The only time I'll go back to my Subaru is when the weather is so poor it is not worth the risk... Or when it is so hot I need that A/C.

The biggest issue right now is that my trunk appears to be leaking pretty bad... Any suggestions other than replacing the gasket? We already adjusted the latch so it closes nice and snug, but not too tight. Thanks!

If the trunk leaks and you can't see anything obvious put someone in the trunk with a flash light and soak the car with a hose, there must be water stains somewhere so you can get them close to the leak, and welcome to FABO.

Hello everyone!

I just bought a 4 door Valiant 200, 226 6-cylinder and three speed automatic transmission. It is a complete, original car and I drove it sixty miles to get'er home! I am extremely new to the world of Mopar and am happy to be a part of this new community!

My car is complete, but has a few small damaged/incomplete pieces that could use replacing soon. What is a good outlet for parts? I need a passenger side reverse light, the knob ends for the heater controls, and eventually a radiator. I also need some seat covers... any recommendation there either?

Welcome to FABO...

Nice car!! Great shape...

Reverse light for new try Layson's or Classic Industries. For driver quality, make a post in the classified parts wanted forum here and see what you can find.

Seat covers go with Legendary interiors or Classic Industries. Classic sells the Legandary covers. Shop for price and watch for discounts. They are sponsors on the site and there are links on the right side of the screen for them on some pages. Remember to get new seat foam also as the old stuff is dry and crumbly...

FYI: It helps to post your wanted parts or questions in the proper forum depending on the subject to get the most replies and best feedback...

Welcome to the site, there are many knowledgeable people on this site that can help you with what you want to know...

Very nice to see, in my opinion '66 is the best year for Valiants, but I am biased because my Mom got one new just like yours only beige and she drove it for 30 yrs...only because it got rear-ended pretty bad we had to say goodbye to it. Your Valiant will keep serving you for as long as you take care of it, hope I find one as nice one day. How bout more pics??

Welcome to the world of Mopar A-Body heaven:coffee2:Nice car!!!

Dave,

Here are some more pictures, these are from the for sale ad, I did not take them. I have since straightened and put on the front bumper guards. I also just bought this seat cover here. (Just an FYI, not sure if the link is going to work... if it doesn't, I'll do a screencap and upload the picture. Or just upload when I get it...)

So far I have been just fixing little things and drying it out, but really I am just shocked that everything works! My last project car took over a month to get road worthy, this one drove home!

Thanks again for the comments and ideas... I think I figured out the trunk deal though. The front and rear window gaskets leak and I think that while part of the water flows down onto the driver side floor in the rear, while the majority flows into the trunk. It is wet all the way up the inside of the fenders and down the hinges so the gasket seems like the less likely issue.

I don't really care. I'm building it a car cover about $200 or $300 from now, whenever that is, and it will live out of the rain. It's been garaged since it was new up until 14 months ago when the previous owner bought it so the little water it has now isn't that long standing.

Sorry if anything I typed was repetitive. I figure it's better to say it twice than not at all!

I will make a post in the classified section, but honestly I'd like to just use it as it is and keep my eyes out for a parts car...

Attachments

• FABO-10.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 145
  • FABO-17.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 156
  • FABO-23.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 157
  • FABO-11.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 149
  • FABO-9.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 163
  • FABO-5.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 185
  • FABO-3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 159
  • FABO-2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 188
  • FABO.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 173
  • FABO-24.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 179
welcome to the fray - nice more door - great people and info here - you should start a wanted thread for those pieces you need

Welcome to FABO. I have a 66 2 door that I am working on. The rear window gasket is not being made , I have tried . The rear window is a one year only size. All valiants body types have the same rear windows which makes finding a used one easier if you need a different gasket. Good luck and have fun driving the 66.

That is a clone of my first car. Bought her in 1970 with only 18,000 miles on it. Classic little old lady car. She said the only time it got washed was when God did so by the rain running off the barn roof. I rubbed it out with some machine glaze I found under the bench at the Plymouth dealership I worked at, it looked like a new car! She traded it in on a 70 Sport Satelite, I had to drive it to the school parking lot and teach her how to drive such a huge car and power steering. That would have made a great addition to my collection. Welcome aboard, I have found 3 of the 66 a bodies I own as well as a boat load of parts on this site. Good luck with your new found pride and joy!

-
Back