1966 Plymouth Valiant questions

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I have some questions about this car. I am in the process oof building a sweet little 66 Valiant 4 door car. Since it is a 1 year only car I need some questions before I buy this parts donor.I am looking at a 2 door donor car and I know some of the parts are different from a 4 dr and a 2 dr car. I dont have pictures to show what I am talking about but I am sure you can tell what I am asking. The chrome piece that is at the bottom of the back pillar at the bottom. are they the same on 4 dr and 2 dr cars. Also the chrome strip that runs down the top of the back quarters to the tail light. are they the same. The only other thing this car has that may be saveable is the deck lid and front fenders and I am assuming they are the same. Front and rear glass the same on the 4 dr and 2 dr cars. Doors are different. Does anybody repop the chrome strip pieces I mentioned if these are not good. Here are pics of what I am looking for on both sides. Thanks for the info.Bill

DSC03437.JPG

DSC03438.JPG

Last edited:
The top rear quarter stainless can be a different length on the same model: such as a 2dr sedan

The chrome pot metal trim at the base of the rear pillar is the same.

Some 66 cars the top rear quarter spear trim was the same length for both. BUT…I have a pair of 66 2-door sedans, one is an early 66 build and the trim on top quarters is different length between the 2 cars….so one must have 4-door trim on it? Both cars are low mileage and the early one with the shorter trim is a 32k mile survivor so not sure….they must be different and maybe they just slapped it on and didn’t care if the holes and clips are the same? So yes, I’d say that trim is different but they do interchange.

Fenders, hood, trunk, back window, all the same. The doors and glass hardware, side glass are different, side trim is different too on the body. Rear quarter panels are different but you can cut off a lower quarter from either car and make it work if you only need the bottom section, a patch, or wheel opening.

I can tell you this tidbit, too. If you decide to remove the rear glass, save, save, SAVE the rear window gasket. Try to soften it up so it won't tear coming out or back in, because nobody and I mean NOBODY makes them.

I can tell you this tidbit, too. If you decide to remove the rear glass, save, save, SAVE the rear window gasket. Try to soften it up so it won't tear coming out or back in, because nobody and I mean NOBODY makes them.

Good to know

thank you. that is good to know

BTW….I don’t think there is any trim being reproduced for the 1966 Valiant….except for maybe some emblems like the pentastar and PLYMOUTH letters…makes it hard to find nice parts for a 66, most times you need to restore original parts.

I can tell you this tidbit, too. If you decide to remove the rear glass, save, save, SAVE the rear window gasket. Try to soften it up so it won't tear coming out or back in, because nobody and I mean NOBODY makes t
Same thing with the back glass.....don't break it! Made of unobtainium.

The top rear quarter stainless can be a different length on the same model: such as a 2dr sedan

The top molding on the quarter panels are aluminum, not stainless. The 2DR HT, 2DR Sedan, 2DR Convertible, and 4DR Sedan use the same one. Same with the pot metal trim piece at the base of the sail panel (except for the convertible which doesn't use one). The aluminum molding can also be used from the Barracuda. It's the length that is different. Just cut off the front section to get it to the length you need.

The top molding on the quarter panels are aluminum, not stainless. The 2DR HT, 2DR Sedan, 2DR Convertible, and 4DR Sedan use the same one. Same with the pot metal trim piece at the base of the sail panel (except for the convertible which doesn't use one). The aluminum molding can also be used from the Barracuda. It's the length that is different. Just cut off the front section to get it to the length you need.
I was wondering about that. I am supposed to pick up a donor car next sat. that has these pieces but dont know exactly how good they are except from pictures I have seen but if they are aluminum, they should clean up pretty good. thanks for the info. Bill

Those aluminum moldings can corrode and kink easily. I like to pop them loose from inside the trunk rather than trying to pry them up on the outside. One or two clips are bolt-ons....the rest are spring clips. I use a round bar, like a #2 phillips to push the clip up and out. For show, they would probably need to be re-anodized or buffed depending the look you want.

Those aluminum moldings can corrode and kink easily. I like to pop them loose from inside the trunk rather than trying to pry them up on the outside. One or two clips are bolt-ons....the rest are spring clips. I use a round bar, like a #2 phillips to push the clip up and out. For show, they would probably need to be re-anodized or buffed depending the look you want.
Yeah, I just went up and took off the tarp and took pictures. Right side is real good looking but the left side doesnt look pitted but the dumbass sprayed that side of the car black with spray paint. I may be able to strip the paint and buff the pieces but I am still going to look for another set. This car is too nice to screw up.

DSC03438.JPG

DSC03437.JPG

Paint is easy enough to remove with some acetone. Sometimes the paint helps preserve the finish on the aluminum. I'd be more concerned about sanding scratches.

The rear quarter spears are different on our 2 cars…both are 1966 2-door sedans, one measures 35 1/2” long and the one on the low mileage unrestored car measures 31 1/2” long. Years ago I bought a real nice piece of 66 trim, I cleaned and polished it up and when I went to put it on that’s when I noticed it was shorter…so I’ve seen a few now, I’m not sure why there are 2 different lengths?

6B2B5BF0-4D33-49F5-98F5-9C2BC9CAC0A1.jpeg

C0C8220F-31B5-4F3E-9D5D-91772A9AEDA1.jpeg

4E39E641-7779-49B1-98D8-3DF77E273FEF.jpeg

4DA35A36-DC15-4B31-9839-8565D005D076.jpeg

The rear quarter spears are different on our 2 cars…both are 1966 2-door sedans, one measures 35 1/2” long and the one on the low mileage unrestored car measures 31 1/2” long. Years ago I bought a real nice piece of 66 trim, I cleaned and polished it up and when I went to put it on that’s when I noticed it was shorter…so I’ve seen a few now, I’m not sure why there are 2 different lengths?

View attachment 1716049147

View attachment 1716049148

View attachment 1716049149

View attachment 1716049150
I also noticed that the pieces at the bottom of the sail panels are different. If you look at mine it is smooth and yours it has a design in it. it isnt smooth. This car I am looking at to buy has the design in it. Doesnt make sense. my car has the long pieces.

I’m not completely sure either, but I do know that you need the shorter pieces on a convertible, or the trunk lid opens on top of the longer ones and makes a little crease in the trim

I’m not completely sure either, but I do know that you need the shorter pieces on a convertible, or the trunk lid opens on top of the longer ones and makes a little crease in the trim

You must be thinking of the top boot trim? The quarter spear trim shouldn’t come in contact with the trunk lid being they are moved farther out? Still curious why there are 2 different lengths…

You must be thinking of the top boot trim? The quarter spear trim shouldn’t come in contact with the trunk lid being they are moved farther out? Still curious why there are 2 different lengths…
Oops, you’re right. That’s where the trunk lid hits. But, like you, I have a few sets of the valiant top trim, in both lengths. Still don’t understand that either.

Yea this a mystery that has not been completely solved to my satisfaction. My 2Dr sedan spears are the same length as a 4 door I stripped for parts but a quarter I got from another 2 door sedan was drilled for longer spears than my 2 door sedan.

Maybe a plant difference? The part number in the factory parts manual is the same for all Valiant models.

-
Back