1966 Valiant...should I part or fix it?

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I haven't been on here much in the past few months, working alot and trying to straighten my life up. Finally putting my Dart in storage so it isn't sitting outside anymore, at least until I get another garage. That leads me to my Valiant.
I have a 66 Valiant, slant six, 3 on the tree, 3.23 geared 7 1/4. I put a set of Barracuda grilles in it, and replaced the front fenders. I have a mint set of K-H discs for the front (off of my 72 Dart), some really nice 14x7 aluminum slots, and a set of 65' buckets. I wanted to make a fun little car...until I saw the subframes. They are completely gone where the upper control arm bolts up. One of the uppers is actually almost broke loose so I can't even drive it. The rears are a little thin where the rear springs bolt up in the back. Typical places... but do I want to spend the time to fix it? Is it worth it? It already needs front floors and one rear floor, passenger side front inner fender, quarter panel work,new springs, shocks, etc, the seats and carpet are shot. It needs alot. I can't decide if its worth fixing or not!!! Help me out guys...you will have first dibs on parts if thats what it comes to. Oh, and I already have a set of front subframes, and some back ones are available for free.

If you decide to part it out, I'd like to talk to you about your Barracuda grill. I've got one in my '66 Valiant, but the driver's side has been bent (thanks to my daughter). It looks straight, until you install it.

Russ.

Part it !!!! We need parts ;)

I might be interested in the tail lights and quarter panel area right around the driver side tail light...

I really love '66 Valiants but I have to admit that their dollar value just does not justify doing too much work to one. My suggestion is that you concentrate on having one really nice car (which I assume would be your Dart) and just part out the Valiant. And it looks like theirs interest in some parts already.

I think thats what I'm going to do. Russ, I'll get some pics asap for you of the grilles. Greenhornet, same for you. It may be a day or two, my dryer just quit so I have to go get a new one. Its always something. Anyone else? The only thing I'm keeping is the rearend. Oh, its got a blue radio delete plate in it too. I gotta get some pics.

I think thats what I'm going to do. Russ, I'll get some pics asap for you of the grilles. Greenhornet, same for you. It may be a day or two, my dryer just quit so I have to go get a new one. Its always something. Anyone else? The only thing I'm keeping is the rearend. Oh, its got a blue radio delete plate in it too. I gotta get some pics.

I can send you some pics of the quarter panel section I need, it would be real easy to cut off, looks like someone hit mine right on the tail light (and bondoed it back)...

I don't want to start anything here, but is this the same bunch of guys who were so passionate about the need to save a ratty 67 Fury cop car on another thread?

Thanks metallidart. If you have it on your car now, you'll know better than anyone if it fits square and lines up like it's suppose to. I already have one that looks straight that isn't.

lrazor, if your talking to me or including me, the answer is no.

Russ.

I don't want to start anything here, but is this the same bunch of guys who were so passionate about the need to save a ratty 67 Fury cop car on another thread?

Sounds like you're jumping the wrong azzes BUDDY... WHAT 67 FURY COP CAR????????????????????????

I'd keep it and do all of the things you mentioned that it needs and make it into one badazz little car...but that's just me. Sounds like you can get some of the items it needs for free and purchase some items along the way until you are ready to cut out the rust and replace the floors and frame rails...but that's just me. In the mean time, find a nice little smallblock to warm up with a few goodies, get some Schumacher mounts and a couple other items and get it setting there to make the switch when you have it all stiuched back together... but that's just me!!! You do what you want, but it sounds like a fun little project, Geof

I'd keep it and do all of the things you mentioned that it needs and make it into one badazz little car...but that's just me. Sounds like you can get some of the items it needs for free and purchase some items along the way until you are ready to cut out the rust and replace the floors and frame rails...but that's just me. In the mean time, find a nice little smallblock to warm up with a few goodies, get some Schumacher mounts and a couple other items and get it setting there to make the switch when you have it all stiuched back together... but that's just me!!! You do what you want, but it sounds like a fun little project, Geof

Putting 5 or 6K in a 2 to 3K car doesnt make much sence to me, not to mention all the time and labor re-doing the the frame, floors, quarter etc... By the time you got the frame, floors, quarter finished you could have bought a decent 68-69 dart or cuda body.. Uni-body rust issues are a totally different ball game than full frame cars.. On a 66 you don't have to use Schumacher mounts to install a small block... Based on what hes said about it, I wouldn't fix it...
...until I saw the subframes. They are completely gone where the upper control arm bolts up. One of the uppers is actually almost broke loose so I can't even drive it. The rears are a little thin where the rear springs bolt up in the back. Typical places... but do I want to spend the time to fix it? Is it worth it? It already needs front floors and one rear floor, passenger side front inner fender, quarter panel work,new springs, shocks, etc, the seats and carpet are shot. It needs alot.

If you have more than one project going now, and your resources are limited, I would suggest you consolidate down to one car. Focus on one car at a time.

Reality check: the Valiant sounds like like a base model stripper rustbucket with a few nice parts bolted on. This is a case where the whole is worth less than the sum of it's parts. The parts you listed, grilles, fenders, brakes, seats, wheels, together might get you $1000 or so. How much would that help your 72?

I would normally say save it,but if the frame is that far gone at the control arm then just part it.It looks like you could help out some members with Early -A,s.Good Luck!

Sounds like you're jumping the wrong azzes BUDDY... WHAT 67 FURY COP CAR????????????????????????

See Bluedart's Mopar Cop Car thread, under general discussions.

I don't want anybody getting hurt feelings; I just think that parting an old car, any old car, is something that should be thought through completely before a decision is made. One man's "parts car" is another man's dream project. I don't even want to think of the list of cars that I have parted out over the years, thinking that after all, they're just cars, the junk yards are full of 'em.

See Bluedart's Mopar Cop Car thread, under general discussions.

I don't want anybody getting hurt feelings; I just think that parting an old car, any old car, is something that should be thought through completely before a decision is made. One man's "parts car" is another man's dream project. I don't even want to think of the list of cars that I have parted out over the years, thinking that after all, they're just cars, the junk yards are full of 'em.

Dude you need to get your FACTS straight before you try and start a pi$$in' contest!!!! Theres not a one of us that has posted on this thread that posted on the COP CAR thread... GO BACK AND READ IT.....

Is it something in the water in North Carolina or are you always so hostile?

At no time have I meant to criticize or impugn anyone on this thread or the site as a whole. If you did take the time to read all of the other thread, as I did, then you know that in that case, I was in favor of parting out the car.

I like this site and enjoy the time that I spend reading the threads. What I don't understand is the animosity that pops up from time to time among certain posters. I for one consider my cars (and Jeeps) a hobby from which I derive a great deal of pleasure and relaxation. I participate in sites like this as an extension of my hobby and to learn from other hobbyists and occasionally offer whatever information I may have on a particular topic.
That being said, I look forward to continued participation on this site and will try my best not to abrade the sensibilities of thinner skinned members.

Is it something in the water in North Carolina or are you always so hostile?

At no time have I meant to criticize or impugn anyone on this thread or the site as a whole. If you did take the time to read all of the other thread, as I did, then you know that in that case, I was in favor of parting out the car.

I like this site and enjoy the time that I spend reading the threads. What I don't understand is the animosity that pops up from time to time among certain posters. I for one consider my cars (and Jeeps) a hobby from which I derive a great deal of pleasure and relaxation. I participate in sites like this as an extension of my hobby and to learn from other hobbyists and occasionally offer whatever information I may have on a particular topic.
That being said, I look forward to continued participation on this site and will try my best not to abrade the sensibilities of thinner skinned members.

Don't ACCUSE people of saying stuff that thay didn't say and no one has a problem here..... I'm sure the other guys didn't like your total unfounded statement either... Do you not read the posts and see who said what before you start shooting off your mouth?? You must not because none of us guys posted on that COP THREAD you ACCUSED us of...

Simmer down!! haha. I didn't check out the cop thread, so its kind of irrelevent to me, I just check this thread to help me make a decision about my car. Nobody on here is going to hurt my feelings, so all of you guys are fine!! I really would like to practice my welding skills, fabricating skills, etc, but...between my fiance' and I there are 4 kids, all under age 9, a dog, and full time work, not to mention I will be going back to school (at age 31) soon. So, I won't have much time to fix the Valiant. I would love to see it with minitubs, relocated springs, one of my extra 360's and a 4-spd...but I think it will rust away before I get to it. By the way, I don't have a garage. That is what is bothering me the most...I see potential in everything, and I hate to part it out because that just means one less 66' Valiant out there, but then again, money and more time for the kids is always nice. I think I am still leaning towards parting it out.

using it to "practice my welding skills, fabricating skills, etc," sounds like a good idea, and you may end up with" a fun little car"

Less rustbucket 66's out there won't make the world a worse place. Where would you get the pieces to fix that car? A rust free body? Why not just start out with a rust free body? No, really, once "the big piece" is worn out weigh your options carefully.

It sounds like you have your plate pretty full with family, school and life in general. Cars are only transportation appliances, and old cars are just a hole in the driveway to throw money into. Kids only grow up once, and women resent the competition. I was in your situation not so long ago myself, although I parted a 66 Val and a 72 Dart, to focus on the 65 which sits behind my garage waiting for me to get the time and money to put it together. It will still be there when I get to it. Or, if it isn't, I'll find something else then.

I'm not trying to sell your stuff for you, but as a "reformed pack rat" I can tell you that launching stuff is somewhat liberating. My wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary by getting rid of half the stuff we had, and with our 20th coming soon, I look forward to doing it again. My cheap *** figures it's free square footage, but if that doesn't work for you here's a couple others. It's better that the parts are used by somebody than if they sit rusting. Or, the more projects you have, the less chance you'll actually finish one.

Part the 66, spend most of the proceeds on the 72, and the rest on her, you'll be happy you did.

Tell ya what, I've got what's left of a '66 4 door Valiant floor and subframes. I was gonna use the sheet metal flooring for my '65, but the subframes were just gonna go...well, somewhere. I've got a plasma cutter to get this all cut down, and if you want the front and rear subframes for practice on your '66, you're more than welcome to them for the price of shipping them out to you from California. They only have some surface rust on 'em, otherwise they're good and solid.

PM me if you're interested :)

In taking my leave of this thread, I am quoting my original post.
Allow me to point out that it is in the form of a question and not as someone seems to think, an ACCUSATION.
Furthermore, it was an attempt at levity. To those who didn't understand that, I apologize.

Allow me to point out that it is in the form of a question and not as someone seems to think, an ACCUSATION.
Furthermore, it was an attempt at levity. To those who didn't understand that, I apologize.

No hard feelings, it just sounded more like an accusation then it did a question, I'll part out anything.. When its time for a car to die put it out of its missory, kinda like shootin' a horse with 4 broken legs...

junk the cop car save the valiant!
o.k. save them both!!

-
Back