1967 273 Will Not run

-

bearwolf64

Bearwolf50
Reaction score
All

Just re-install a 1967 273 (4 barrel, 4 speed) in our Valiant. I can not get the thing to start. Can I get some schooling on sitting up the ignition timing. I am at TDC on the crank, and I verified it watching the number cylinder open and close.

Thanks
Bear

Sounds like you're making progress

You mean you looked at the no1 valves?

You can also stick your finger in the no1 hole and bump the starter until you start to feel compression, then look for the marks to come around

I would not set it at TDC, if it's a stocker, set the marks at anywhere from 4-10 BTC.

Then look at the dist. and see where the rotor points. Rotate the dist. a short distance clockwise to close the points (retard), then slowly rotate counterclockwise (advance) until the points just open.

If you are to the point that you have power to the coil, you can look/ listen for a spark at the points, or put your test lamp on the coil neg. and watch for the light.

If the timing marks are accurate, it should start right up.

By the way, I tore the underdash out of my car today (was having cluster troubles and don't like the stereo) and am starting to "figgure" on putting a NOS Painless harness I bought on Craigslist awhile back. I think I paid about a hundred bucks for it, they get way too damn much money for that junk

hope the distributer isn't in 180 degrees out - changed my manifold on my 273 a couple of years ago and put it back in 180 out, wouldn't start and I kept cranking it, gas built up
in the right muffler and blew the hell out of it(2 months old muffler). The neighbors came
over shortly after to see if I was OK, sounded like a bomb going off under my car port.

Lets assume the oil pump distributor drive is in the correct orientation. So at top dead center the slot in the top of that driver would be striking a line toward the alternator or #5 cylinder. The rotor button would too since it is in line with the drive tang on the bottom of the dist' shaft. From there we can be sure the distributor is either correct or 180 degrees ( 1/2 revolution ) wrong. Position the spark advance parallel with the back of the engine block and it should fire. Slowly rotating the spark advance torward the alternator will advance the timing until it runs.
If it backfires we'll know the distributor is 1/2 turn wrong.

Thanks all

I will get at it again, and let you know.

67Dart273

Ya I know, I paid 160 for my harness.....

Bear

All

Got it running. The dizzy needed rebuilding, but now the only way to turn the motor off is to disconnect the battery. Turn the ignition off does noting. Any ideas.

Bear

Bear why don't you start a post with something in the title like "need EZ harness help" those that are familiar with EZ will hopefully pick up on it.

If you do, post the link to your other post about the backwards battery

-
Back