1967 904 Transmission spline

-

MassDart

Lifelong Dart fan
Reaction score
My 67 Dart 270 has the original 904 transmission behind a 273. I'm trying to purchase a converter for my 360 magnum build. Is 67 the changeover year from 18 to 27 spline?

Thanks,

Doug

In a follow up, I'm gonna double check the numbers on my transmission to verify that it actually is the original transmission. If it is, are there any manufacturers that make a performance converter for the 18 spline?

In a follow up, I'm gonna double check the numbers on my transmission to verify that it actually is the original transmission. If it is, are there any manufacturers that make a performance converter for the 18 spline?
Precision of New Hampton. Tell them exactly what combination you are running. https://gopnh.com/

I myself didn’t check on Hampton. I did t know about them. Everyone I ever got in touch with said they couldn’t help me with the low spline coin converter. “NEW parts” seemed to be the issue for them.

I ended up have the OEM converter restalled at ProTorque. Being the odd spline count, I could t find anything anywhere. After a long time searching, I called up ProTorque. At the time, they were right down the block from where I lived. Could have road my bicycle there.

The owner himself took the converter and hooked me up. Once I told him everything about the car and engine, he knew what to do. Tell who ever you go with, everything about the car and your intentions with the car.

These guys will do what ever you need them to do for your converter for your car and your intentions.
ProTorque | High Performance Drag Racing Torque Converters

So I crawled underneath and it looks like it is indeed the original transmission as the number 2801534 shows as 67 273 2 barrel which is exactly what my car was.

I'll give Precision a call and see if they can make one to work on my combination. Failing that, I'll call ProTorque

Thanks!

Way to much money for a converter re-stall. WTH?
The TCI package is nice except one thing, maybe two. That’s crap for stall. Daily driver converter. The 904 has a low power handling @ 400 hp. But it’s enough for a nice ride. It’s just really easy to pass that rating.

Still, not a bad deal IMO. Looks like everything is included.

Kim you know a 71 -up trans is better with the PTK...Junk that pos original trans.

So I may have a line on a late 70's 904. Anything special that I'll have to deal with putting that in a 67? Is the kick down lever different? Parts available?

Kd will work. If u have a consol u may need to change the tail housing. It may be a lock up trans. Then u need a lock up converter. Kim

Kd will work. If u have a consol u may need to change the tail housing. It may be a lock up trans. Then u need a lock up converter. Kim
Great. Thanks! My car is a column shift so sounds like I'll be good. Thanks for the info.

There are a lot of different kickdown arms and variations on the linkage. Start by setting it all the way back when the carb is all the way open. IF it shifts too early or too late, then you have to change the arm. Always start with the arm all the way back at wide open throttle (wot). I wouldn't get it if it's a lockup because the converters are expensive if you ever need one or decide to change it. Look at the front of the input shaft. IF the splines go all the way to the front then it's not a lockup. If the splines stop short about 3/4" and it's smaller in diameter and smooth; then it's a lockup. It's always a good idea to post pics.

-
Back