1967 Barracuda 383... non Formula S?

-

DemonDave

Swollen Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 1967 Barracuda 383 for sale which has me a little confused. It is an original 383 notchback still wearing its factory paintjob, but it doesn't have a "Formula S" badge anywhere on it. Instead it has the small "V-EIGHT" badges on the lower doglegs of the front fenders.

Research tells me that all 383 Barracudas were Formula S's in 1967 and this one is equipped as such with front power disc brakes, manual steering, bucket seats and a console automatic... but no emblems. Is this oddball or just normal Mopar quality control circa 1967?

Should have S emblems? How sure are you it has orignal paint? Have you inspected it in person?

What's the vin?

Does the fender tag have the 383 engine code? If it does, does the S.O. number on that tag match the radiator and trunk lip numbers?

Does it have a buildsheet?

Last edited:
In my experience the v eight badges denote 273 or 318. Sounds fishy.

I am looking for a notchback, is this car in BC? If you dont buy it would you share the contact info?

Cheers

The VIN will tell you what the original engine should have been.
The fifth digit needs to be a "H" as this is a 383 with a 4bbl carb.

I have not seen the car in person, only in pictures. It belongs to a friend of mine in Ontario who has had many of these cars (he was a bit of a hoarder for awhile, LOL!) in his collection and he swears it's a real 383 notchback with original paint. It's not a perfect car (a couple of minor dings, faded carpet inside, a few missing window trim bits, etc) but sure looks honest to me.

If the S badges had been stuck on at the factory, I could see how someone could make a sleeper out of one by removing the stock emblems and sticking the V-EIGHT badge in its place, but since they're drilled from the factory, they'd leave evidence behind. There very well could be evidence that I just can't see in the pictures.

Very fishy indeed! :D

I'm going to ask more questions.

20170927_083939_resized.jpg
20170927_083917_resized.jpg
20170927_084001_resized.jpg

I have not seen the car in person, only in pictures. It belongs to a friend of mine in Ontario who has had many of these cars (he was a bit of a hoarder for awhile, LOL!) in his collection and he swears it's a real 383 notchback with original paint. It's not a perfect car (a couple of minor dings, faded carpet inside, a few missing window trim bits, etc) but sure looks honest to me.

If the S badges had been stuck on at the factory, I could see how someone could make a sleeper out of one by removing the stock emblems and sticking the V-EIGHT badge in its place, but since they're drilled from the factory, they'd leave evidence behind. There very well could be evidence that I just can't see in the pictures.

Very fishy indeed! :D

I'm going to ask more questions.

View attachment 1715097207 View attachment 1715097208 View attachment 1715097209

Dave...you need the VIN to be more certain. If he has the broadcast sheet, you can align the VIN with the SO number and check that that SO number is stamped on the body in the "secret" locations.

OK, mystery is solved!

So it turns out that he's got a "his and hers" set of '67 Barracuda notchbacks... one the 383 Formula S car and the other a 273-2bbl car. Same colour on both, it's a pretty cool set! The 273 car is the original paint car but currently is holding the drivetrain of the 383 car as the S body is on a rotisserie getting restored. The 273's drivetrain is in storage. Once the H-code car is done, it will get it's drivetrain back and the original paint 273 car will be reassembled.

I think I was a bit confused when he told me what he had as I thought I heard "original paint 383 car" which in theory, is what he has to drive... sort of. It is an original paint car with a 383 in it after all... maybe I heard what I wanted to hear or maybe the message was just a bit confused. Regardless, there is an original paint Barracuda notchback for sale as well as a 383 notchback. He gave me a price for the pair as-is (driving car with mis-matched body and engine combo, car on rotisserie ready for resto, 273-2bbl drivetrain separate) which is actually pretty fair, but I'm not looking for a resto project, nor do I have space for two completed cars.

Glad that got sorted as it was driving me a bit batty trying to figure out what I was seeing in the pictures! I'm crazy, just not that crazy. :p

Anyway, if someone here has interest in this pair, drop me a PM and I can hook you up.:thumbsup:

What's the color combo of the 383 car? Auto car, rite?

-
Back