1967 barracuda formula s info

-
This should clear up what is part of the 1967 Barracuda Formula S package.
The Factory 1967 Plymouth Data Book
Img_4913.jpg

Img_4912.jpg

Alan

he found a 318 for a good price so that is the plan. What is the best bang for the buck to make the 1977 318 run good, cam choice, milling of the heads (how much ?) he wants to preserve the original 273. I'm just trying to help him get his parts in order, so far, the clutch choices & the pilot bushing have been very helpful, the motor is in unknown running condition. thanks for the input >

Definitely preserve the 273 Commando since he has a 67 Formula S. First, upgrade clutch set up to a 68 to 71 318/340 flywheel, clutch and bellhousing. For a 318 read 318willrun's posts on 318 upgrades. I would not do anything till you take the 318 apart and discover what you have, casting numbers and all. Or are you wanting to throw a camshaft, timing set, seals and run it?

Last edited:
Gears are easier than an engine swap. Later 318 are very low performance engines. You are going from a 273 with over 200 hp to a 318 that might be 150 hp. Good luck.
As to gears; I absolutely agree with you. Swap in an 8.75 and start collecting pumpkins.

As to the engine comparison, IMO, that's not fair;
How can you argue with 16.6% more cubes.........
The 318 makes tons more torque at low rpm and if neither combo spins off the line; the 318 will be quicker to at least 3000 rpm, more like 3600. With 3.23 gears you could be looking at 27mph. With 2.76 gears, more like 32.
And this is exactly what the OP is looking for.

I can tell you that my winter-motor, back in the early 2000s, was an outstanding winter combo. That was a 1973 smog-era 318, with nothing but a 4-bbl, headers, some valve springs that let her buck, oh and dual full-length 3" pipes..
Some winters I ran an A998(2.74 low) with a 2800TC, and other winters I ran the Commando 3.09 low gear with a clutch.
The rear gear might have been anywhere from 2.76 to 4.30 depending on my mood, or if the GVod was also on there.
There is nothing slouchy about a 318 if you let it breath and rev it up. They get their slouchy reputation because they are usually saddled with ridiculously high starter gears,very-low stalls, and grossly retarded timing; which would only kill the Commando 273, even worse. After 3600 or so, that low-compression Scr is not a real big handicap.

If you already have a 318, any 318, then I vote using it, with a 4bbl on a smallport intake, and give her a low-restriction dual exhaust. If you can find some small-chamber heads, great! but that is not a big deal. Then lay a curve in the distributor and have at it.
For best results, absolutely for sure, treat her to some rear gears.
jus my opinion

As to gears; I absolutely agree with you. Swap in an 8.75 and start collecting pumpkins.

As to the engine comparison, IMO, that's not fair;
How can you argue with 16.6% more cubes.........

I always argued with even more cubes, sometimes up to +100 and mostly won. Not stock, never was. Learn how to tune and take advantage of what you have. He already has a 4 speed, an 8 3/4 rear with, guessing, 3.23 gears, as well as the heavy duty suspension.

Just how quick were the 273 Commando's in the Quarter-Mile.

67' Barracuda 273 (Camshaft Results at the Track)

Here is the 318 & parts just obtained , I’ve sent a message to 318willrun as I didn’t find his thread. Thx for the info so far

A4EC2C12-FF69-4FDA-AAE9-48FC6213CBEB.jpeg

-
Back