-
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedevore

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
I have some decent grille assemblies, but all the studs broke when removing them from the header panel.
Anyone have some with the studs? I could use just the outer surround & use my inserts.
PM me with what you got.

I use a die grinder to grind off the factory rivet heads. Then the grille will come apart.
Use a hammer to knock the old carriage bolts out. At this point you can install new carriage bolts and weld them to the supports OR use (link below) with these clips they will lock against the frame. Install them and then install the supports over them. rivet them back together. 1/8 in pop rivets work. It takes about an hour a grille.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/trim-clips-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb79e6596&vxp=mtr

We welded regular bolts in. On the aluminum pieces we used jb weld.

I grinded the old stud out, bent out the tab with pliers, inserted a new stainless steel bolt, JB welded it together and then bent the tab & bolt back into position. Looks great from the outside!

Attachments

• Richmond-20130314-00069.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Richmond-20130314-00071.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF5755.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 159
Not to hijack this thread, but....

I have been trying to get my surrounds off the car, and I have one stud on each surround that is free spinning and I cannot get the nuts loose.

Does anyone know how to get them undone?

Thanks!

Without messing anything up. The easiest way is to remove the header panel and grille assy as one unit.
It comes out easily 2 bolts on each of the upper and lower corners. 3 upper bolts and a support bracket on latch assy. You might need to take bumper loose.

First time I did this was about 1982. No internet help available. The studs turning on the perimeter can be cut with a die grinder. If a stud turns in the aluminum grille frame you have to pinch the frame with needle nose vise grips to capture the stud, cut the nut off, whatever. Those little studs aren't easily replaced. Tool scars to be sanded away after the fact.
To replace the perimeter studs I used the same T-bolts that the factory used in the 67 upper and lower trunk lid trim. The odd shaped sheet metal head on those fits right inside the aluminum very well. They are cadmium plated too. I used stainless washers and nuts.
I have done this 3 times now ( 6 different grilles ).
The bumper and brackets have to come off to pull the header panel. I think its well worth the effort to remove the entire assemblies though. The gaps between grilles and header close up better when the header can move some.
One note of caution... Get a helper if you remove the bumper. Those little stabilizers on the ends can scratch fenders in a heartbeat.

Needle nose / vise grips to hold the bolt and unscrew the nut or cut the nut off. Easier said then done once your under the car and with very little space to move around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back