1967 Barracuda Notchback 440 Project

-

bmxican

Mopar Aficionado
Reaction score
Hello FABO,

I don't post much on here, I mainly just read and try not to ask dumb questions, and sometimes I purchase stuff here.

Anyway, I really don't have any Mopar friends (all these damn kids at school with their Honda's :rolleyes:) unfortunately, so it's kind of hard to ask for advice or opinion.

So, I decided to post my build on here, and hopefully you guys won't flame me (kidding! :))....

So the story begins:

I bought this car from Pride Auto Plaza in Kansas about close to two years ago. When I got it, it was a running, original SL6 225 car with A/C.
The rockers where rusted, the quarters where all bondo, etc.

cuda3.jpg

cuda1.jpg

I go to school full-time (automotive technology at junior college), and boy does it save me cash!

I started by doing the quarters in body shop class first, never had done anything that massive before (cutting a car up is scary), but I think I did a pretty good job, considering it was my first time.

driverquarterrepair4-6-09.jpg

I used Goodmark's quarter panels, and they fit quite well (better than anticipated, had to do very little fitting). Of course, everything behind the quarters was eaten up, so I had to fab all that up before I could weld the panels on.

Once I did the panels, I kind of slowed down on the project, since the fish was my daily driver. Now that I have a 72 Scamp and I got my 70 Beetle running again, I've been able to "retire" the barracuda for a little while, and give it new life.

This is what it looks like now, in my little one car garage:

Before
DSC03000.jpg

A week and half later:

DSC03038-1.jpg

It's is actually completely stripped now, no trim, windows, interior, nothing.... A bare shell. I just need a more updated picture.

Anyway, my plans for this car is to be an autocross car. I like launching and speed, but I really want it to handle. This has brought me to re-think my plan for this car (and is also where you guys come in)...

Originally I had these parts for the car:

73' K-Memer, relocated mounts to fit a 440 (DC K-Member).
73' disc brakes.
1.00" torsion bars.
Power steering.
Superstock springs and mopar performance shocks to fit the springs.
A-body 8 3/4.
Aftermarket A-Body correct Strange axles 30 spline.

Since then, I've sold the super stock springs and matching shocks, and I'm in the process of selling the rear end and axles, since I heard it is easier to run a B-body rear end and fit bigger offset wheels (my wheels are mustang rims, cragar style, with 6.5" of backspacing).

I am still debating on what to do with the rear end (Cal-tracs or maybe just go all out and get a street lynx rear end from Reilly). I still need to do the spring relocation, which I'm a bit nervous about.

With the front end, I was just going to run the 73' K-Member until I could afford maybe an Alterkation front end. I have 1.00" torsion bars and of course all new steering and allignment components for the front.

So what do you think? Any suggestions or tips? I still have tons of stuff to figure out, so any help is much appreciated. Also, any local Mopar guys in my area? I live in Vista, CA 92084. Thanks FABO, I'll keep you updated as we go.

PS: If anyone needs any 67 specific parts like the idler and pitman arm, etc, let me know. I'm not keeping most of the stuff I'm removing. Thanks!

PPS: Hopefully one day it looks like this:
1967PlymouthBarracuda.jpg

Hello! That is a cool car you have there! You are doing a good job, keep it up! I'm building a 68 'cuda to handle using stock type suspension stuff as well and I'm using the mustang rims too!

Hello! That is a cool car you have there! You are doing a good job, keep it up! I'm building a 68 'cuda to handle using stock type suspension stuff as well and I'm using the mustang rims too!

Nice, I'm still debating on what to do and what to keep. I have someone coming to look at the rear end tomorrow, I'm pretty sure he might take it.

I just want to make sure a B-body rear end is what I need, I really didn't want to use an A-Body one, long studs and some spacers, sounded dangerous. I really like my rims though, I got a good deal on them, I think they will contrast great with a white body.

Hopefully some more people will chip in. Thanks!

Yes, you are correct on the B-body rear end. I just went through the rebuild of my B-body rear end all through the last couple weeks. I bought a '68 housing and axles complete with brakes and backing plates for $150. I needed new seals and bearings, so I went with the new Green Bearing setup from Doctor Diff. I bought a 742 case 3.55 clutch type sure grip from a guy in San Jose for $420 and started assembly...I had to buy all new drums and shoes and brake hardware though as it all needed to be rebuilt. I had my buddy weld new spring perches on it at the specified length. (moved a 1/2" in on each side)

Very nice project you got there Bmxican ! That has to be one of my favorite A-bodies. Im verrry slowly working on my first mopar project (67 valiant) as money and time seem to be against me right now.
Im just down the road from you in Escondido. I'll Pm you my # and you can give me a call sometime if you like. Im curious to here more about the auto tech courses you are taking and at which school you are at.

Which motor are you going with? Weight should be a consideration. Maybe aluminum heads, bell housing, and trans to lighten it up for handling. Moparaction.com has a link to the "green brick", a 69 Valiant that they took racing. They made it handle well without spending a lot of money.

Nice project, much cooler than ANYTHING YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS HAVE FOR SURE.

Have you considered a small block for weight loss.

There are a couple autocross guys here from time to time.
I think amxauto has a notchback he races.

I considered a small block, but I really want a big block. I'll just lighten it up later as money allows with aluminum heads, intake, water pump and housing, etc. I already built the engine and transmission for this car, 440-3 (industrial) with a mild cam and a 727 with a reverse valve body. Some day I'll get a manual trans. :D

I'm just curious on what to use as far as suspension. Caltracs? Or just go all out and get the Reilly Street Lynx system? I'll have to read some more on other builds. Thanks for the input!

I considered a small block, but I really want a big block. I'll just lighten it up later as money allows with aluminum heads, intake, water pump and housing, etc. I already built the engine and transmission for this car, 440-3 (industrial) with a mild cam and a 727 with a reverse valve body. Some day I'll get a manual trans. :D

I'm just curious on what to use as far as suspension. Caltracs? Or just go all out and get the Reilly Street Lynx system? I'll have to read some more on other builds. Thanks for the input!

The caltracs are for straight line...I'd would definitely go with the RMS street linx kit for handling...I have the RMS stuff on my 70 dart..

I see a need for sub-frame connectors! Nice ride by the way. So what is better about the B body rear end?

I see a need for sub-frame connectors! Nice ride by the way. So what is better about the B body rear end?

Has the larger bolt pattern, bigger brakes, and a touch wider to run the common mustang bullitt rim 17x8 with 5.72 backspace.

bmxican, it doesn't matter that you do not have any Mopar friends at school. You have almost 13K Mopar friends right here. The project is looking great! Are we going to see you at Spring Fling this year?

bmxican, it doesn't matter that you do not have any Mopar friends at school. You have almost 13K Mopar friends right here. The project is looking great! Are we going to see you at Spring Fling this year?

Where is Spring Fling at? Maybe I'll cruise the Scamp? :D
Thanks for the kind words.

Great build you have going there. I love the 1967 440 Notchback Barracuda's, I am a bit partial though.

Has the larger bolt pattern, bigger brakes, and a touch wider to run the common mustang bullitt rim 17x8 with 5.72 backspace.

Sweet, perfect for the wheels I have. Now to find one.... Hmmmm.....

I have sub-frame connectors, thinking roll cage next. :D

Great build you have going there. I love the 1967 440 Notchback Barracuda's, I am a bit partial though.

Partial as far as? What you suggest or think? :)

-
Back