1967 Dart fuel tank

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My Dart has been collecting rust in the fuel filter.
This sucks because This is 2 tanks in a row that have done this. The original was fine for many years but started to clog the filter frequently. I went up the hill and found a tank that looked good inside and swapped it in. That was just a few months ago. Now the filter is showing rusty gas again. This time I'm getting a new tank.
I bought a new one for my "Jigsaw" Charger since it had no tank when I got the car. Years ago I bought a CHEAP $50 tank from CarParts.com....that tank is in my '72 Duster.
It used to be that tanks were $150 or more. I don't know what I paid for the one in my red Charger in 2001, probably over $200 then.
Here is one that I just saw online:
1967 Dodge Dart Fuel Tank - DIY Solutions TAN00193 - - PartsGeek.com

Who has bought from these guys?
The '67 tank seems to be a one year only design from what I can see. It is the last with the single sideways strap but the first year of the larger filler neck and grommet.

Here is the new tank I put on my '67 Dart, single Strap Mount:

0807171733.jpg

0806171541b.jpg

0801172136.jpg

0805171325a.jpg

Think I bought this one on ebay out of Wisconsin for around 120 + ship 6 years ago. Sending unit I bought from Van's in Wisc. Worked fine.

Here is a '67 Dart gas tank on ebay out of Iowa, free shipping. Seems to me this part number sounds correct as the same one I bought for my '67 Dart.

Screenshot_20210331-183341_Chrome.jpg

Tanks inc do the stock tanks for the 67 as well for the FI setup. Nice powder coated piece. I purchased the strap & sender unit different setup sender on the injection setup to the std as well from them. Tank pad and filler neck grommet from Detroit Muscle.

For a little perspective, the car looks like this:

67 R.jpg

Any replacement tank that doesn't leak and isn't rusty inside will be fine. No need to spend $150 or more.

In November last year, the original tank was pulled because the gas looked like this:

67 A4.jpg
67 A5.jpg
67 A3.jpg

I grabbed a used tank from up the hill that looked decent inside. It seemed fine but ....A few days ago, the filter started looking like this:

Gas tank 3.jpg

The inside of the tank looked like this:

Gas tank 1.jpg

Gas tank 2.jpg

A buddy gave me a used tank. He suggested that I get it boiled out.

Gas tank 4.jpg

Gas tank 5.jpg

Here is the gas that came out of the second tank.

Gas tank 6 - Copy.jpg

Another friend had a very clean tank he pulled from a car that he is building for the 24 hours of LeMons!
I blew out the fuel line, installed the clean tank and put 2 gallons in. Fuel is clean and the car runs great....for a total of $20!

67 A2.jpg

67 R.jpg

Here is the gas that came out of the second tank.

View attachment 1715718397

Another friend had a very clean tank he pulled from a car that he is building for the 24 hours of LeMons!
I blew out the fuel line, installed the clean tank and put 2 gallons in. Fuel is clean and the car runs great....for a total of $20!

View attachment 1715718398
View attachment 1715718399

U running ethanol type gas / Could be that its drawing water , metal tanks now dont have lead in their metal , and will rust if using ethanol fuel , unless its coated w/ something else inside.

What famous bob says is true, & if you don't drive it often, cycling new fuel through it that just compounds the problem.

Well, IF I could run NON Ethanol gas, I would. I cannot find any at the pump here in Northern CA.

-
Back