1967 Dart GT Trim along top of fenders - How do the clips and trim go on?

-

wawarnick

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of how the trim clips and trim go on the top of the fender all the way to the back of the car? I got the car without the trim on it. I have the clips and the trim and would like to get it on without screwing up the new paint. Thank you.

WHERE did you get the clips? Last I knew they were "unobtanium"

IIRC most of the clips go on from the outside of the car, and have a pin that inserts in the center to spread the fingers of the clips like a walk anchor.

There is also a small o ring that goes on around the post that is not supplied with the clip kit.

I believe a couple clips have a screw holding them on but don't quote me on that.

IIRC most of the clips go on from the outside of the car, and have a pin that inserts in the center to spread the fingers of the clips like a walk anchor.

There is also a small o ring that goes on around the post that is not supplied with the clip kit.

I believe a couple clips have a screw holding them on but don't quote me on that.

The end clips for the door and quarter and possibly the fender trim use the metal clips that have a sheet metal nut on them.

Do the two tabs on the clip face toward the car or away from the car? TIA

It will be self explanatory once you have the clip in your hand. The barrel at the bottom of the clip goes into the hole in the body and the two tabs capture the trim against the body.

I was thinking that he had clips with broken posts which would make placing them a 50/50 option

Just re-did the clips on a couple trim pieces and actually managed to take some pictures. I wasn't sure about a few things when I got started but it was pretty straightforward.
  1. I did the front quarter and the back quarter. Not the door.
  2. Rear quarter had one metal clip with a screw at the very back. The rest were the plastic clips.
  3. I used the plastic clips from R/T in the link above. They sell singles and full kits.
  4. I blew it on counting the number of clips for each piece but I'd say about 9 for rear and maybe 6 for the front.
  5. The clips go on the car first then the trim hooks on the top edge first then push to snap in the bottom.
  6. Reverse to remove. Pull from the bottom. I used a wide plastic trim tool.
  7. Some of my clips did survive removal so I reused them.
  8. Clean pieces of old clips out of holes.
  9. Add rubber washer to clip. I made some out of a bicycle inner-tube with a couple punches - 3/16 and 3/8".
  10. Place new clip in hole with the two wings down.
  11. Place the peg in the clip to secure it. I gave it a couple light taps with a rubber mallet to make sure it was all the way in.
  12. With all clips insered, position the trim piece and hook from the top and snap in at the bottom. Make sure if there is a metal clip involved that is be positioned in the trim piece and the hole before you get too close to that end.
Hope this helps. It's actually pretty easy.

IMG_8542.jpg

A couple punches and a bicycle inner-tube used to make the rubber washers.
IMG_8543.jpg

3/16 and 3/8" punches to make the washers. The 3/8" punch has a custom centering piece I make on the lathe.
IMG_8546.jpg
IMG_8549.jpg

Broken clip position after removal and installed new R/T clip.
IMG_8552.jpg
IMG_8553.jpg

The rear hole on the rear trip uses a metal clip with a 3/8" acorn nut.

Thank you all for your replies, for some reason I was not getting updates when you all replied. Thanks again.

-
Back