1967 dodge dart 340 engine headers

-

67 NITRO

Reaction score
Hello All , I am building a 340 mopar engine for my my 1967 dodge dart. The headers that I previously had on it were not very user friendly and pain to take out when i removed the 273 V8 i had in it. In addition they scraped the bottoms of them when going over even low bumps in the road. Does anyone know if the tight fit headers will work ?

Thank you

They make a lot tighter header these days try the dougs or the TTI

IMG_5971.jpeg

Hi, welcome to the site, lotsa knowledgeable friendly folks here.
Mtrhead has named the 2 newer design headers with improved ground and spark plugs clearance.
This question is asked very often, so a quick search of "exhaust" will lead to a lotta helpful threads .
Keep in mind, there are exceptions to every rule .
Good luck, cheers.

Anytime my friend ..glad to help welcome to the site!!

Welcome aboard! Another alternative is 340 hipo manifolds(#2863549 and #2863553)...I bet they would be comparable in price to tti or Doug's headers with less headaches.

Hi, welcome to the site, lotsa knowledgeable friendly folks here.
Mtrhead has named the 2 newer design headers with improved ground and spark plugs clearance.
This question is asked very often, so a quick search of "exhaust" will lead to a lotta helpful threads .
Keep in mind, there are exceptions to every rule .
Good luck, cheers.
Hello there , well received, I will use the "exhaust " thread as recommended.

Best Regards

Welcome aboard! Another alternative is 340 hipo manifolds(#2863549 and #2863553)...I bet they would be comparable in price to tti or Doug's headers with less headaches.
Hello 4spdragtop, that's something new to me , I will check out hipo manifolds , thanks for the tip.

Best

No sweat, those manifolds are pricey. Usually around $500 range, and we're used from 68-71 340's I believe. 72/3 also had them but they were different numbers.
In my opinion less headache with manifolds vs headers.
I'm doing same thing, 340 into our 67 cuda.
Here's some glamours shots
Good luck.
Hello 4spdragtop, that's something new to me , I will check out hipo manifolds , thanks for the tip.

Best

20240508_113012.jpg

20240508_113037.jpg

20240427_175834.jpg

There are really no "user friendly" headers for a Mopar. I wish I had better news. lol I will say the Dougs are the best fitting I have ever tried, have plenty of ground clearance and can support probably 500HP give or take. IMO, they are fairly easy to install, provided you READ and follow the instructions, have the correct motor mounts and they are in good shape with your engine in the correct location. Remember, I never said they were a FAST install. lol They are time consuming. Also, if I remember correctly, you must use the small, newer Dakota style starter. I did, but I cannot remember if it was necessary. I believe that it was, because they come closer to the engine. This was probably about 1994-1995, so my memory is a little vague. But I did the install in my back yard on the ground on jack stands with hand tools and did it in less than a day.

No sweat, those manifolds are pricey. Usually around $500 range, and we're used from 68-71 340's I believe. 72/3 also had them but they were different numbers.
In my opinion less headache with manifolds vs headers.
I'm doing same thing, 340 into our 67 cuda.
Here's some glamours shots
Good luck.

View attachment 1716252053

View attachment 1716252054

View attachment 1716252055
Wow those look amazing! And far less hassle. The only thing I might have a little concern with is loss in horse power. I am building a nitrous motor. I went with a scat rotating assembly, 3.58" stroke crank all forged steal rods and crank , and forged aluminum "icon" pistons. I'm building this one to hopefully 650 to 700 hp with the 200 to 250 nitrous shot, will manifolds still let it breath properly?

Thanks, sorry I missed what your intentions were with your motor. I thought you were going stockish. Definitely go the header route. From what I've read Dougs/TTI may be the best route.
Good luck with your build! :thumbsup:
Wow those look amazing! And far less hassle. The only thing I might have a little concern with is loss in horse power. I am building a nitrous motor. I went with a scat rotating assembly, 3.58" stroke crank all forged steal rods and crank , and forged aluminum "icon" pistons. I'm building this one to hopefully 650 to 700 hp with the 200 to 250 nitrous shot, will manifolds still let it breath properly?

Car bottoms and bumps a natural born adversaries. The driver makes the difference!

You might wanna go with a slip tube race header 1 7/8 with that much power....

20240520_205936.jpg

There are really no "user friendly" headers for a Mopar. I wish I had better news. lol I will say the Dougs are the best fitting I have ever tried, have plenty of ground clearance and can support probably 500HP give or take. IMO, they are fairly easy to install, provided you READ and follow the instructions, have the correct motor mounts and they are in good shape with your engine in the correct location. Remember, I never said they were a FAST install. lol They are time consuming. Also, if I remember correctly, you must use the small, newer Dakota style starter. I did, but I cannot remember if it was necessary. I believe that it was, because they come closer to the engine. This was probably about 1994-1995, so my memory is a little vague. But I did the install in my back yard on the ground on jack stands with hand tools and did it in less than a day.
Yes, the smaller starter is a must with those headers. The Dougs were the easiest I've ever installed. The problem came when I upgraded my torsion bars to fatter ones. Now I had interference issues so had to pull the headers and put some dings in them. Frankly, there are pros and cons to changing anything on our cars but we still do it because we love doin' it!

Hello All , I am building a 340 mopar engine for my my 1967 dodge dart. The headers that I previously had on it were not very user friendly and pain to take out when i removed the 273 V8 i had in it. In addition they scraped the bottoms of them when going over even low bumps in the road. Does anyone know if the tight fit headers will work ?

Thank you
dougs or tti headers are the answer. both fit much better and don't hang low like the cheap junk you had.

-
Back