1967 Dodge Dart GT Power Steering turns all the way to the lock to the right

-

Don Deale

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Dodge Dart GT with the 273 CID High Performance solid lifter engine and Borg Warner HD 4 speed transmission and power steering. I'm having a problem since I bought the car back from my Son, wherein the power steering turns all the way to the lock to the right (clockwise) every time the engine is running. I've never seen this happen on any car before, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Don

There's an alignment procedure for the valve bolted to the top of the steering box in the shop manuals. However, if it had been working ok, and nobody has messed with it, I would be wanting to find out "what changed," something stuck, worn, dirty, etc.

Free shop manuals:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Try adjusting the pressure valve as mentioned above. Make small adjustments & then test by starting the car and watching the movement of the steering wheel. Don't put your arm thru the wheel to start it....

Make sure the power steering hoses aren't reversed!

1. Grab a large breaker bar from your tool box.

2. Find whichever of your son's idiot friends was "working" on the car.

3. Beat appropriately.

Short of that, yeah, give everything a once over and try adjusting the valve on top of the box per the manual.

That block on top of the PS box can be moved when you loosen the bolts, kinda wacky but thats how its done.

Thanks y'all for the advice on my strange steering problem. It's totally fixed now and one more major step towards getting back on the road.

If all else fails, read the instructions, lol. I loosened the 2 bolts holding the valve body and moved it the opposite direction it instructed in the factory shop manual and whalaa..it's fixed. As for the advice about the big breaker bar, good advice..but they're all out of range.

-
Back