1967 Dodge Dart GT SC 6.4L Swap

-

sirjames

Reaction score
I will be posting some photos of my 1967 Dodge Dart GT with a GENIII 6.4L engine swap. Started BEFORE GMG... Here are some of the components:

Arrington Performance 392 with Magnuson TVS 2300 791TQ 785HP
Holley Dominator EFI
Silver Sport A41 Trans (4L65E with Mopar Bell)
Magnum Force Transformer coil over front suspension
Magnum Force 4 Link Rear
Wilwood 12.9" brakes front
Wilwood MC
BeCool radiator
TTI 2" Headers, 3" with X pipe and Dynomax

And the hood closes! No scoop. Beware of "Grandma's Car"!

Dart Engine #2 Project (12).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (13).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (9).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (15).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (28).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (29).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (83).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (23).JPG

IMG_9634.JPG

Last edited:
final. It can be done! Hope to be on the streets of Denver by the end of this week.

Transmission DipStick Tube.JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (38).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (42).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (82).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (95).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (63).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (64).JPG

Dart Engine #2 Project (65).JPG

BTW, anyone know how to wire that alternator up to my old Dart? If I hook up one of the two pin connector to 12VDC, the alternator continuously over-charges. If anyone know how to control the alternator, I would appreciate your help!

Well ya gots way way more money'n I do. Lookin good

What is this?

"Silver Sport A41 Trans (4L65E with Mopar Bell)"

I mean what are it's roots? I see it's Keisler, is that a Toyota? A41?

BTW, anyone know how to wire that alternator up to my old Dart? If I hook up one of the two pin connector to 12VDC, the alternator continuously over-charges. If anyone know how to control the alternator, I would appreciate your help!

What about the other pin? I was under the impression it was controlled by the ECU, and hooked up the brushes "same as" 70/ later Mopar stuff. If not I don't know......not familiar with this newer stuff

Well ya gots way way more money'n I do. Lookin good

What is this?

"Silver Sport A41 Trans (4L65E with Mopar Bell)"

I mean what are it's roots? I see it's Keisler, is that a Toyota? A41?

Jack Silver bought Keisler out. It is a Keisler setup. They simply have engineered the bell, trans mount, cabling, and some additional items you need to bolt it into an A body, with lots of documentation for a pretty straight-forward install. The GM 4L65E is a 3 speed with OD with no trans tunnel cutting into passenger compartment. There is some trimming to make it fit inside of the cross-brace. It came with a controller, however the Holley Dominator EFI has provisions for this exact tranny and will control the engine and tranny combo.

Great looking build! I have a 67 GT that is 5.7 hemi powered and currently finalizing a 200r4 swap. (Trans in and out 3 times this wk)

You could call our cars twins, but your build is WAY nicer than mine... Keep a lookout for mine around Denver, it's Blue, with most the GT chrome stripped.. I'll be looking for your sweet ride for sure!!!

As far as wiring the ALT, I got my whole kit from Ron Francis, and used his set up. He uses a ford style voltage regulator, one pin off the ALT goes to that, the other goes to ground... I can't remember how the rest of the circuit plays out from there... But I would assume the Mopar voltage regulator would work as well. Let me know if you want me to tear into my kick panel...

Joe

......As far as wiring the ALT, I got my whole kit from Ron Francis, and used his set up. He uses a ford style voltage regulator, one pin off the ALT goes to that, the other goes to ground... I can't remember how the rest of the circuit plays out from there... But I would assume the Mopar voltage regulator would work as well. Let me know if you want me to tear into my kick panel..Joe

My impression is that the late Mopar alternators are isolated field just like 70/ later stuff. The Francis / Ford regulator is essentially hooked up just like the 69/ earlier Mopar. since Francis only uses two wires + ground you might just as well USE a 69 Mopar in that case.

Although the Alternator is controlled by the ECM you can use an external voltage regulator. Here is a diagram on how to wire it up. So you have two thin wires, IT DOESN'T MATTER which one you GROUND and which one you attach to the regulator.

chrysler_external_voltage_regulator_wiring.jpg

I see high 11's @ 127MPH! I would love to see what happens if a Porsche 911 Turbo S (10.7ish 1/4) pulled alongside at 70MPH. You may still break the tires loose!

I tried a ext. voltage reg on mine and it didn't work...I sent my alt out and they made it a 1 wire int reg. works great now...they were in riverside CA. and cost was 80.00 with shipping i think...

-
Back