1968 340 Manual Cam

-

VOETOM

Reaction score
Looking for some other letters I needed and i found my receipt from CamCraft for the 2899205 1968 340 manual cam they ground for me in 1977. Note the cost then was $75. i think run-of-the-mill hot rod cams were around $35 to $50.
Sorry it is tough to see the price but this is an old receipt and it was the carbon copy.
Tom Hand

CamCraft Receipt.jpg

Those were pretty aggressive for the day. Heavy on the duration and easy on the lift. Easy on springs and valve train. 284/292° .445/.455 for the 4 speed cam with 60° overlap.
513650195_o.jpg

the 1968 340manual cam, according to Larry Shepard (Chrysler engineer) and everything else I have read, says 276*/284* and .444"/.453"

the 1968 340manual cam, according to Larry Shepard (Chrysler engineer) and everything else I have read, says 276*/284* and .444"/.453"
Automatic cam? I would believe the original sales information to be correct. I Googled the number of the cam on Tom's Camcraft invoice and came up with a link to the poster.

Last edited:
i have been looking for a source for an exact replica of the 68 340 4 speed cam. i recreated the same 68 340 4 sp formula s i had in high school in 69-72 and want the exact same cam that the 68 340 4 sp came with from the factory. do any of you guys know where i could either buy an original NOS cam or have one ground to the same specs?

thanks...

jim coster, pittsburgh

Those were pretty aggressive for the day. Heavy on the duration and easy on the lift. Easy on springs and valve train. 284/292° .445/.455 for the 4 speed cam with 60° overlap.
View attachment 1714997479
A generation,before my time TMM..('85 high school senior).. I like that cam,reminds me of the Crane Hi Intensity hydraulic cams.. They just, flat work...

the 1968 340 manual numbers I posted are cam 2899205 from how to hotrod small block mopar by Larry Shepard. the 1968 auto cam is the same as all 1969-73 340s, 2899206 268*/276* and .430"/.444". Comp Cams can do 276*/284* and .464"/.474" and more, and I know there are smaller cam companies that can do an exact replica, not sure who

There is some guy on the MOPARTS site that i think has them reproduced BUT I am not 100% sure they are exact.

I have that cam in my 73 340 Roadrunner. Very sweet, flat power band from 2500 right through valve float..which is generally where I shift the thing anyway

Contact Bullitt Cams with the specs, they will grind you whatever you wish.

Oregon Cam Grinders has it. Krazy Kuda went to great lengths with them to make it happen. They can grind you one.

thanks for all the info... i will start tracking down a new "1968" 340 cam.

i'll report back after i talk to some of these guys...
thanks again - FABO is the best!!

Any updates JimHarvard?

hey scatpackbee....

well my 340 barracuda of which the stock manual 4 speed cam is intended for has been put on the back burner while my M-Code 69 Cuda is being worked on. that car is down at American Metal Direct right now and it's taking up all my "muscle car" time and effort presently. that car is listed on a post here titled "finally got my m code."

the cam for the 68 will probably now arrive now till mid summer. AMD should have the M-Code finished in about a month.

I emailed Oregon Camshaft, I attached their reply. It looks like what they have isn't a exact copy. Has anyone measured a actual 2899205 cam
1968 340 4 Speed Camshaft Regrind 3-1-18.jpg
with a degree wheel?

I emailed Oregon Camshaft, I attached their reply. It looks like what they have isn't a exact copy. Has anyone measured a actual 2899205 camView attachment 1715024581 with a degree wheel?

i don't want to be disrespectful here but if i received a reply like the one above for a camshaft that had to be "perfect" from an "engineering" perspective, i would tell that company - "thanks, but no thanks." obviously, camshafts must be ground to extreme close tolerances to be correct. if a person at an engine building company cannot even write a coherent reply letter to a potential customer, that does not give me any "warm and fuzzy feeling" about the competency of the guy grinding my cam. maybe that's being unfair to the "shop guys", but no company interested in keeping old customers and getting new ones should at least have a person dealing with new inquiries that is able to write a simple and "correct" written reply.

Ken has both some speech impediment and has overcome some serious early child learning disabilities.

He is a genius with a cam grinder.

i don't want to be disrespectful here but if i received a reply like the one above for a camshaft that had to be "perfect" from an "engineering" perspective, i would tell that company - "thanks, but no thanks." obviously, camshafts must be ground to extreme close tolerances to be correct. if a person at an engine building company cannot even write a coherent reply letter to a potential customer, that does not give me any "warm and fuzzy feeling" about the competency of the guy grinding my cam. maybe that's being unfair to the "shop guys", but no company interested in keeping old customers and getting new ones should at least have a person dealing with new inquiries that is able to write a simple and "correct" written reply.

Ken has both some speech impediment and has overcome some serious early child learning disabilities.

He is a genius with a cam grinder.

thanks for that information. i would not criticize or insult anyone with a disability and i apologize to ken. but to someone like me who had never dealt with this company and did not know this information about ken, you might see how it might be better if someone else at oregon camshaft did their correspondence. again, no disrespect to ken intended.

thanks for that information. i would not criticize or insult anyone with a disability and i apologize to ken. but to someone like me who had never dealt with this company and did not know this information about ken, you might see how it might be better if someone else at oregon camshaft did their correspondence. again, no disrespect to ken intended.

I completely understand. I have talked to Ken for literally hours at the time. I can assure you he is a legend genius when it comes to cam grinding. He is one hell of a nice guy, too.

-
Back