1968 440 GTS Darts (Only 6 Built)

-
Those car's were bad ***, I have done a lot of reading on these cars, and to say the least, they shocked the competition. Chrysler was already good at that though.

How dominant were the 1968 GTS 440 SS/EA cars in 1968 in NHRA Super Stock.

Ron Mancini was the Division 3 (North Central) Points winner.

Bob Lambeck (Dick Landy car) was the Division 7 (Southwest) Points winner.

T-Bar,

At the beginning of the 1968 NHRA Racing Season, the SS/EA (8.70 - 9.47 Wt/HP)
class record was a soft 12.18.

We were running a 1964 Belvedere 426-S (365 HP Street-Wedge) in this class at the
beginning of the year. We were competitive, and ran 12.30's.

But, Ron Mancini dropped the record to 12.02 in his 'new' factory built 1968 440 GTS,
and that was it for us. By Springtime, the record was 11.86.

Well, I don't think they are 68's, but I know where there are 2 original 440 darts still in the hands of the original owner. One is red and the other black. I can't remember which is which, but he bought one for his wife and the other for himself. When I saw them last, they were covered in about 300 boxes, as he sells a specific HP part for muscle car guys, and I was picking up an order at his house. Ill bet many of you have bought parts from him too, and you wouldn't know to talk to him that he even has them, but they're real and have been socked away for many years now! He's always telling me that he's gonna get his out one day, but he never does! If I can ever score a pic of them ill post it, we'll, the front end anyway,'that's about all you can see!! Geof

Well, I don't think they are 68's, but I know where there are 2 original 440 darts still in the hands of the original owner. One is red and the other black. I can't remember which is which, but he bought one for his wife and the other for himself. When I saw them last, they were covered in about 300 boxes, as he sells a specific HP part for muscle car guys, and I was picking up an order at his house. Ill bet many of you have bought parts from him too, and you wouldn't know to talk to him that he even has them, but they're real and have been socked away for many years now! He's always telling me that he's gonna get his out one day, but he never does! If I can ever score a pic of them ill post it, we'll, the front end anyway,'that's about all you can see!! Geof

is it a 68 GTS or a GSS

is it a 68 GTS or a GSS

They are not Mr. Norms cars!!! He is a Michigan native and bought them from somewhere here in Michigan, maybe straight out of hamtramck. I know Norm was doing the conversions and talked chrysler into installing the 440's into the cars.

He also has the 440 hood inserts that he never installed, and the 383 inserts are still in the hood!! Ill find out more next time I see him and ask if its ok to post up some pics and info!! Geof

They are not Mr. Norms cars!!! He is a Michigan native and bought them from somewhere here in Michigan, maybe straight out of hamtramck. I know Norm was doing the conversions and talked chrysler into installing the 440's into the cars.

He also has the 440 hood inserts that he never installed, and the 383 inserts are still in the hood!! Ill find out more next time I see him and ask if its ok to post up some pics and info!! Geof

thats a 1969 dart. they have the hood inserts. still a rear car

I used to know a guy that had an original 68 GSS Dart. But have lost touch with him over the years.

1 of 6,

1968 Dart GTS 383, Factory-converted to a 440 with Hooker Fenderwell Headers.

One of the most dominant NHRA Super Stock cars for 1968.

h6150242.jpg

Dick Landy, "I love the smell of a 1968 440 A-Body burning rubber on Sunday morning. It smells like Victory."

4458792106_3f8d6b7e37_z.jpg

All six cars came with the 383 4-barrel emblems. Over a decade ago I heard someone found the Landy car in Minnesota but nothing has ever come of it. I don't think that any of them have been found yet. I know where 14 of the Mr. Norms GSS Darts are, where are the other 34?

............I think the Landy car ended up in Winnipeg,Manitoba...........kim....

little info i found

Charlie Allen's car was "updated" all the way to 1972 (to look like the current model year) and by the late 80s was owned by Roland Osborne and Crhysler Power Magazine. VIN said 383 and I don't recall the fenderwells being cut out. I have pictures of the car at home.

the kohr's in P.A. have the car now I believe.

http://www.kohrskustoms.com/kyledart.html

little info i found

Charlie Allen's car was "updated" all the way to 1972 (to look like the current model year) and by the late 80s was owned by Roland Osborne and Crhysler Power Magazine. VIN said 383 and I don't recall the fenderwells being cut out. I have pictures of the car at home.

the kohr's in P.A. have the car now I believe.

http://www.kohrskustoms.com/kyledart.html

Dave,

The '6' 1968 'factory' 440 Darts were all GTS 383 {VIN} cars.

They were converted by the 'Skunkworks Team', before being
shipped out.

Dave,

The '6' 1968 'factory' 440 Darts were all GTS 383 {VIN} cars.

They were converted by the 'Skunkworks Team', before being
shipped out.

yes I know that. but what they are saying that his car was change to a 72 dart that was one of the 440 cars. they did this in 72.

Dave,

??? Nobody made under-chassis headers for a 440 A-Body in 1968....

Not...... Hooker, Doug's, Heddman, Jardine, Cyclone, Kustom, Belanger, Stahl,
Tubular or Cragar.

What was going on inside that engine compartment.

How did they get the OK from NHRA to build 6 Ringer cars?

NHRA said they had to have at least 6

here's all 6 I found

The original '6' factory 1968 GTS 440 Darts (SS/EA).
1) Dick Landy (California)
2) Saddleback Dodge (Charlie Allen) (California)
3) Friedman Motors (Des Moines, Iowa)
4) Greater Detroit Dodge Dealers (Ron Mancini)
5) Rockville Center Dodge (Rockville Center, L.I., New York)
6) Bob Banning Dodge (Hyattsville, Maryland)

Good friend of mine swears that a collector/friend he knows has a 68 M code Dart. I said its a GTS with a 383, ir a Mr Norms, but he said nope its a factory 440 car. He is going to get the vin for me, so we will see

How did they get the OK from NHRA to build 6 Ringer cars?

In early 1968 {January} the NHRA was 'flexible', and allowed Ford to build '7' 428 Cobra-Jet cars
for {Super/Stock} SS/E and SS/EA

The {7} 1968 Ford 428 Cobra-Jets {actually a Mustang 390 GT} were shipped to Holman - Moody - Stroppe
in Long Beach, California - and the Mustang 390 GT's were converted to the 428 Cobra-Jet.

Ford built {3} cars for SS/E and {2} Cars for SS/EA, and the NHRA even let them drop '1' in
Stock Class {C/S} and '1' in {C/SA}

Mopar cried foul, and the NHRA permitted Dodge to put together a few {but approved}
68' Dart GTS with the 440 for Super/Stock 'only' SS/EA.

NHRA told Mopar/Dodge that they had to build '6' before the NHRA Winternationals took place
to be {legal for Super/Stock} at the February {2, 3 and 4}1968 Winternationals in Pomona, California.

Dodge quickly put together '6' Dart GTS 383 cars with the 440 Conversion in early-January 1968
and 'Automatic' only.

68DartSS1968Irwindaleontrailer-vi.jpg

ronmancini.jpg

Dick Landy {Bob Lambeck as Driver} and Ron Mancini were 'smoking'
11.70's @ 120 MPH with these cars by May 1968.

Bob Lambeck was the #1 NHRA Points leader in 1968.

#2.................Ron Mancini

Those cars 'flew'. Damn near 'unbeatable'.

What a great thread on more super Mopar racing history and especially A-BODIES!

I was in VN with a guy who had a Mr. Norm's 383 Dart sitting in his garage back home.

So what kind of horsepower were these 440's putting out? Where any dyno numbers ever released? Those were some screamin Darts for sure.

1968 NHRA Winternationals {Pomona} - February 2, 3 and 4

Dick Landy taking down Gas Ronda 'Russ Davis Ford' in the SS/EA Class Championship
on Saturday at the NHRA Winternationals

In Super Stock Eliminator on Sunday, {Butch Leal} drove the SS/EA Dart GTS, and made it
all the to the 'Semi-Finals' with the new 68' GTS w/440 Engine.

ssbook.jpg

What a great thread on more super Mopar racing history and especially A-BODIES!

I was in VN with a guy who had a Mr. Norm's 383 Dart sitting in his garage back home.

So what kind of horsepower were these 440's putting out? Where any dyno numbers ever released? Those were some screamin Darts for sure.

Spike,

Mopar 'Dodge' was very secret about handing out any information regarding these 'few' cars in 1968.

You couldn't order one, as Chrysler Racing wanted to own SS/EA in
1968 with their 'factory-backed' cars.

I first saw one {Dick Landy} at the 1968 Springnationals at Englishtown, and had no idea that Dodge was producing them.

Which they weren't.

Dyno Numbers were never released, as they were listed as 'Secret Super Stockers'.

-
Back