1968 440 GTS Darts (Only 6 Built)

-
T-Bar,

At the beginning of the 1968 NHRA Racing Season, the SS/EA (8.70 - 9.47 Wt/HP)
class record was a soft 12.10.

We were running a 1964 Belvedere 426-S (365 HP Street-Wedge) in this class at the
beginning of the year. We were competitive, and ran 12.30's.

But, Ron Mancini dropped the record to 12.02 in his 'new' factory built 1968 440 GTS,
and that was it for us. By Springtime, the record was 11.86.

ok,,,,,,,

Just got pics of the vin and fender tag from my buddy. Its a 69 M code. One thing though, why does the fender tag state its a 383 HP car??

Just got pics of the vin and fender tag from my buddy. Its a 69 M code. One thing though, why does the fender tag state its a 383 HP car??

Steve,

The way the 1969 'Big Block' Dart GTS or Barracuda 'Formula S' cars that left the line were as
the 'base' 383 'Big-Blocks' cars.

The 440 was a 'special order'.

So the GTS 440 or 440 'Cuda had be ordered with the '383 Group' {Code; A57}, first.

Then the '440 Engine {Code; A13 Package} was added, which replaced the 383 Engine.

In theory, both the Dart GTS 440 and 440 'Cuda were really 383 Engine Cars, and were
then converted to 440 Engine Packages.

Paul

Paul, little confused here, or maybe chalk it up to me still learning. LOL
On my friends 69 M code, nowhere is there an A57 or A13?? There is however the E63 for 383, then M9B for special order 8 cyl(440)

Thanks
Steve

Paul, little confused here, or maybe chalk it up to me still learning. LOL
On my friends 69 M code, nowhere is there an A57 or A13?? There is however the E63 for 383, then M9B for special order 8 cyl(440)

Thanks
Steve

Steve those Codes were on the 'Sales Order Sheet' and 'Window Sticker', not
the VIN Tag.

Sorry about the confusion.

Vin Tag, should have,
Y39......Top line, last code stamp
E63......Bottom line, first code stamp

Paul

The 1969 Dart GTS 'M-Code' had '7' Build Dates,

First Build Date....... December 1, 1968
Last Build Date........April 27, 1969

the VIN Tag.

Vin Tag, should have,

Paul

The later M-Code Darts had A13 AND Y39 on the fender tag while the early ones only had A13. I have a 68 GSS, 69 GTS, and a 68 Hemi Dart and I have 14-68 GSS's in my registry out of the 48 built.

the VIN Tag.

Vin Tag, should have,

Paul

Thanks Paul, it has both Y39 E63 and A13

The later M-Code Darts had A13 AND Y39 on the fender tag while the early ones only had A13. I have a 68 GSS, 69 GTS, and a 68 Hemi Dart and I have 14-68 GSS's in my registry out of the 48 built.

I chkd out a website and it states there were 640 M code Darts made in 69. That sound right??

Thanks
4spdragtop

Steve,

That sounds correct for 1969

Dart GTS 440 'M-Code'............640 {All Hardtops}
440 'Cuda 'M-Code'.................344 {299 Fastbacks and 45 Notchbacks}

Here is my 69' 440' Cuda {from back in the day}

First day out, just testing and going through the 'bugs'.

10" Drum Brakes,,,,,,,,,,sent us through the end barrier into the 'sand-pit'.

Later we added 'Super Trick Wheels' for the front tires, and added the metal
'faux' hood vents to give the 440 'Cuda the proper look.

ceasrine.jpg

Spike,

Mopar 'Dodge' was very secret about handing out any information regarding these 'few' cars in 1968.

You couldn't order one, as Chrysler Racing wanted to own SS/EA in
1968 with their 'factory-backed' cars.

I first saw one {Dick Landy} at the 1968 Springnationals at Englishtown, and had no idea that Dodge was producing them.

Which they weren't.

Dyno Numbers were never released, as they were listed as 'Secret Super Stockers'.

I figured as much, but had to ask. Thanks.

The 'story' about the 1968 Dart GTS 'SS/EA' Super Stock cars all circles around
the NHRA.

The NHRA permitted Ford to build several 428 Cobra-Jet Mustangs to compete
in Super Stock at the 1968 NHRA Winternationals.

Mopar then cried 'foul.

Anyone know what size wheels,tires/slicks were used on these cars? Did they alter rear wheel openings at all for tire clearance? Always liked look of Landy's car.

Dart Dummy,

You can get some really good information on these cars in the

December 1968 'Super Stock and FX' Magazine.

Great article on Ron Mancini's Dart.

Since these cars came though with Hooker 'Fenderwell Headers', 14" x 5" Cragars
were used with 7.35 x 14" tires on the front.

mK2nxBQL8V21F15WnfFFDJg.jpg

Anyone know what size wheels,tires/slicks were used on these cars? Did they alter rear wheel openings at all for tire clearance? Always liked look of Landy's car.

D D,

Front wheels......... 14" x 5" Cragar S/S
Rear wheels.......... 15" x 7" Cragar S/S

Cragar made 'special' S/S Wheels for these Dart cars in 1968.

In Super/Stock, the wheel openings could not be modified after they left the factory.

1 of 6,

1968 Dart GTS 383, Factory-converted to a 440 with Hooker Fenderwell Headers.

One of the most dominant NHRA Super Stock cars for 1968.

h6150242.jpg

Dick Landy, "I love the smell of a 1968 440 A-Body burning rubber on Sunday morning. It smells like Victory."

4458792106_3f8d6b7e37_z.jpg

Found these pictures of Landy's 68 GTS car taken at Minnesota Dragways in 1970, looks like it has a new owner but is obviously his old car.....wonder if this car is hiding in a garage here in MN somewhere under some new paint? Makes you wonder.......:glasses7:

Attachments

• nwi68.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 386
  • nwi09.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 530
  • nwi52.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 388
.............The Landy car is in Canada, it is documented by Dick Landy himself.......it is converted to look as a 69 for the 69 season.......and no the head light bezels don't fit worth a crap...........kim.......

Don't mean to change the subject, but coincidently, it was reported on classracer.com last week that the owner/driver of the Hemi Cuda in the photos, Gary Ostrich, passed away recently.

The best 'Super Stock' car in Division 7 in 1968.

In 1968, this Dart 440 had more Super Stock Eliminator wins than all of Dick Landy's Hemi Cars 'combined'.

The only other SS/EA car to beat this 68' Dart, was Lance Hill's potent 68' Camaro SS 396.

h6150242.jpg

Very interesting and great info...care to elaborate on the race where the slomaro beat the dart? I'm sure it was a staging or asleep at the wheel or something just dont see that happening being all things equal...

Super stock paint schemes make my f-ckn' eyes twinkle.

Landy's color Scheme is nice, but the wings on Mancini's car and the lettering and color combo on Allen's saddleback dodge car make me weak in the knees.

Here is the 'troublemaker'.

1968 NHRA Indy Nationals

1968 Camaro SS396 {396/325 HP} ~ SS/EA

Dick Arons and Lance Hill {Canada}.

ndyNationalsHotRodmagazine1968-vi.jpg

-
Back