1968 A904 Transmission Rebuild kit?

-

Christian1

Reaction score
So I'm told I have 1968 A904 transmission. Cool. I know it needs rebuilt, Check Summit, and everything I see is 1972-1978.... Will that still work? Any modification I can do to make it work? Does anyone know where to get a Rebuild kit for the 1968 A904? I need all new everything. Seals, clutches, steels, gaskets, ext.

On top of that, now that I'm thinking about it, is there anything I should do while the transmission is apart to make it perform better? I'm thinking I'm gonna have 500Hp at the crank MAX. Probably not even that.

for parts: Chrysler 904 Trans - A&A Transmissions

get this book: TORQUEFLITE TRANSMISSION REBUILD MANUAL HOW TO BOOK CHRYSLER SHOP REPAIR | eBay

@VOETOM a member here is the author and i cannot recommend it enough, it's excellent!

you'll probably want a shift kit. trans-go seems to be popular.
Thanks, I'll definitely check out the book and keep the site in mind if all else fails, but I don't see a typical overhaul kit on there... Is that the only option? I really don't want to have to buy everything individual if I can help it... Also I plan on getting a manual valve body eventually, that's the only reason I wouldn't get a shift kit. I've also heard TransGo is decent for them though.

Do some research on 904 kits, most are a mix of parts from various manufacturers. Get a kit with Alto clutches and steels that includes all the lip seals and main shaft sealing rings. Most master rebuild kits include a flex band and gaskets. 65'

if you're looking for an all in one kit you'll wind up with some compromises and a mix-match of components.

with the power level you're anticipating it's better to select individual components that are best suited to the application. A&A can put together a proper kit for what's needed, you just have to contact them.

Another vote for A&A. They answer when you call and will not steer you wrong to make a buck.

I have an old Chrysler transmission video another member emailed me that I used along with Tom's book. If you PM me your email address I'll email it to you. Its great to stop and rewind until your ready to move on.

Most kits like that will work, but I'll add this. You will really like it a LOT better if you get the 71 and up valve body, because they have the part throttle kickdown assembly, which is nice. You don't have to bend the floor with the gas pedal to make it down shift.

So I'm told I have 1968 A904 transmission. Cool. I know it needs rebuilt, Check Summit, and everything I see is 1972-1978.... Will that still work? Any modification I can do to make it work? Does anyone know where to get a Rebuild kit for the 1968 A904? I need all new everything. Seals, clutches, steels, gaskets, ext.

On top of that, now that I'm thinking about it, is there anything I should do while the transmission is apart to make it perform better? I'm thinking I'm gonna have 500Hp at the crank MAX. Probably not even that.
Thanks, I'll definitely check out the book and keep the site in mind if all else fails, but I don't see a typical overhaul kit on there... Is that the only option? I really don't want to have to buy everything individual if I can help it... Also I plan on getting a manual valve body eventually, that's the only reason I wouldn't get a shift kit. I've also heard TransGo is decent for them though.
Don't worry about the suggestion for a different year transmission. He probably did not see your post about a manual valve body.

Skip the transmission "kits." Transmission parts are sold by individual pieces and some small sets, like seal ring sets, gasket sets, and such. The kits you see are parts someone selected as a general one size fits all situation. The model year differences are usually in the, filters, sealing rings and rubber seals, which changed a few times through the years. Also, a kit has one thickness of the selectable components, so you end up spending more to buy additional individual pieces to get your clearances where they should be.

I assume you have little experience with transmissions, so my suggestion would be to order from someone that knows what they are doing and can offer some technical guidance with your parts selection. They will help ensure you get the parts you need for your performance level with less wasted leftover parts that won't work for you.

I have used A&A Transmissions as others suggested and have only good experience with them. Andrews Racing Transmissions is another good option and he is a member here @Duster346 . Locally I have used Transtar because I can walk in and get what I need without shipping, which helps when a single small part is needed.

-
Back