1968 Barracuda Console shifter and 1st gear

-

richierichpoky

Reaction score
Do all of the factory console shifters have a 1st gear position?? Can they all be manually shifted into 1st?? I'm having a problem getting mine adjusted to be able to manually shift into 1st. Am I missing something here

Loosen up adjuster nut on linkage rod under the car, put shifter in park, set trans lever in park. Tighten linkage set screw. Check all gear detents.

I think I may need to look at shifter under the console as well. The positions on the shifter don't seem to snap into position very well.... they seem sloppy. If you know what I mean. Kind of like the button is partially depressed (is that possible??)) Maybe the notches in the shifter are worn??

Last edited:
My shifter knob screws onto a threaded cable, I didn't mark anything when I took it apart, of course, but depending how far I screw the knob/ handle on the cable would give me trouble with park or first gear. I had to find the sweet spot to get both ( mine has a reverse manual valve body).

It can be finicky to adjust and get all happy. If all the bushings are good and the linkage pieces not worn badly and feel pretty tight, then slowly adjust the length to the sweet spot. Don’t forget to check the reverse lights. In fact sometimes it is best to start there and when in R and the lights are working then single turn either way to bliss.

Do all of the factory console shifters have a 1st gear position?? Can they all be manually shifted into 1st?? I'm having a problem getting mine adjusted to be able to manually shift into 1st. Am I missing something here
Shifter knob should look like this (or center knob a bit higher) when in Park or Neutral to allow shifter cable to enable you to shift to 1st gear...
MD4012.jpg

-
Back