1968 barracuda ignition issue...

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am very ignorant of all things electrical and do not know where to start. I have a 1968 barracuda with a 318 engine and an automatic transmission and it won't start using the key. I turn the key to the on position and bypass the ignition itself by using a screwdriver in the engine bay and the motor turns over, however, using the key in the ignition itself I get nothing. What if any suggestion can you gurus think of? I want to fix this problem myself if possible instead of paying someone else an arm and a leg. Thanks

:burnout:

I can't help diagnose the problem other than make sure all connections are clean and tight.
This is a perfect reason why I carry a spare ign switch with key. If the switch ever fails you can swap your spare in asap.
Each ign switch from 67-9 are different.

If you can read and have ANY mechanical ability, you can likely "fix" this

First, try holding the key to the start position, and pulling the shift lever from park through neutral and back, and see if anything clicks, or it tries to crank

Then go to MyMopar and download a factory service manual, which has a wiring diagram in section 8. You can also download aftermarket, simplified diagrams from the same site. These are sometimes easier to follow, but now always complete

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

"The way it works" is this:

The neutral safety switch on the transmission goes to ground in park or neutral. I don't remember if the 68 switch is one or three terminal, but the CENTER terminal is the NSS. Early models are one terminal, NSS only, newer models are three terminal, the outer two being the reverse lamps switch

Look at the starter relay:

starterrelay.jpg

The two "push on" terminals are the magnetic coil. One of these receives the "start" voltage from the ignition switch, and the second terminal goes down the firewall and connects to the neutral safety switch on the transmission.

WHAT YOU NEED to work on "this stuff."

A digital multimeter, available at any parts / hardware store or even Sears

A bag of alligator jumper leads

A 12 V test lamp, from any parts store

Also a good idea is a spark tester, for ignition / spark problems

Disconnect either "push on terminal" LOOK at the wiring, and determine which one runs down the firewall. The remaining one should come from the ignition switch

Put your meter or lamp on the "other" wire and twist the key to start. You should show voltage, 12V. If not, try the other wire.

Leave the wire which is energized in start (assuming it is so) .......leave that connected to the relay.

Make CERTAIN the transmission is in park, take an alligator lead and ground the remaining "push on" terminal of the relay.

What you are doing, is simulating the ground on the start relay

Twist the key, see if the engine cranks. If so, the trouble is either the wire / connectors going to the transmission switch, or misadjusted transmission linkage, or a bad switch, or something wrong internally in the trasmission "rooster comb."

If it does NOT crank, and you followed directions, then the relay is bad.

Take your multimeter and check continuity of the two "push on" relay terminals. You should show continuity, the magnetic coil.

Also the contacts can be rusted up / stuck in the relay

Wow thank you for all the great information. i will try to work through this problem from simplest to most complex and see if I make any progress.

Post back to this thread as you go, and we'll try and waltz you through this

Any other services been done lately ? reason I asked is dropping the steering column in a column shift car can feck up neutral safety switch adjustment. Seen this posted a few times, "replaced bulbs in inst' panel and now car wont start".

no recent services has been sitting for a long time... however i have only owend the vehicle for a few months. Just trying to get it up and running as a reliable driver car.

-
Back