1968 Barracuda Notch 340

-
Work got stupid and this fuel leak sidelined my determination for awhile. Relocated leaf springs and a factory tank don't play nice. Following through with original plan for a cell in the trunk

20221027_104813.jpg

20220917_080446.jpg

20221027_104804.jpg

20221027_104804.jpg

I really like this, and can't wait to see the finished product. If someone told me this was a Brazilian, or Australian Factory model, and I didn't know better, I'd believe it!
Thanks Johnny. Body paint and interior sure seems far off, gotta keep pluggin away!

After a 6 month hiatus, I'm close to rolling again. Got a 20 gallon Stark tank on Amazon in Jan. for $175. Ram Jet speed shops selling this exact tank for $484. Plastic Center fill cap and sender are junk. Found a sturdy adjustable ohm correct sender and fabbed that in as well as a center cap. My buddy Austin welded in a barbed 2" nipple, its set towards the rear to avoid the trunk hinge. pressure tested tank. I really wanted to retain the flip flop cap inlet, you can see there's not much slope to tank, got a check valve in there down stream ( lone single hose clamp) fingers crossed. Trunk floor necessitated some spacing on the front mounts that are in that valley, rear mounts set flush to trunk and welded in. Got a layer of coroplast between the tank and trunk floor. Reworked the strobe mock up on C pillar. I also installed the windshield with a new gasket. First ever windshield install and against what ive read I did it by myself, not a big deal.

70070.jpeg

20230317_145515.jpg

20230423_072048.jpg

Screenshot_20230424-055930_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20230421_163850.jpg

20230423_103128.jpg

20230423_103042.jpg

20230421_163902.jpg

20230328_105041.jpg

20230421_163902.jpg

Just curious why you didn’t cut the trunk floor and drop the bottom of the cell down to the bottom of the spare tire well?

Just curious why you didn’t cut the trunk floor and drop the bottom of the cell down to the bottom of the spare tire well?
i wondered that, it obviously won't have a spare in there. plus the filler 'nipple' could've been right at the top of the tank side then too, it looks like you won't be able to completely fill the tank as it is.
also i'm sure someone would love to have that nice spare wheel well and you could've welded in a recess to properly fit the new tank while also keeping some useable trunk space.
neil.

You're going to laugh. I like the look of the car from the rear with a full view of the diff, tires etc. Anything hanging down was in the way.

i wondered that, it obviously won't have a spare in there. plus the filler 'nipple' could've been right at the top of the tank side then too, it looks like you won't be able to completely fill the tank as it is.
also i'm sure someone would love to have that nice spare wheel well and you could've welded in a recess to properly fit the new tank while also keeping some useable trunk space.
neil.
Yep, there's a 100 ideas that ran through my head. The main goal at this point in time is to get it back on the road so I can continue to work any bugs out. I don't plan on long cruises so a spare and trunk space is not a priority, at least now. If it becomes a priority in the future, I'll make changes.

You're going to laugh. I like the look of the car from the rear with a full view of the diff, tires etc. Anything hanging down was in the way.
Well, that’s a valid reason. That said, I think I personally would’ve still dropped it down as low as possible without hanging out under the rear bumper. Even 2-3” would’ve helped with the filler tube having more slope.

Well, I think maybe I got lucky maybe not. The check valve, at least when filling from a gas can, is a liability in a tube with an angle this shallow. The tube fills up, overflows and you can hear it just trickling past the check valve into the tank. Removed check valve, problem solved, seems to be plenty of slope for side filling ,maybe a ride in the a.m. gettin warm here in Phx.

enough slope to side fill, also not enough to stop fuel running out on right hand bends unless the cap is a sealed one (not a breather cap). i totally get the rear view, but the spare tyre well's still there so having the tank no lower than that would be no different. i really think the filler tube angle will cause issues cornering, but you knew that already as you'd fitted the check valve. and as i said before you can't fully fill the tank as it is. your car, your call.

I had to ditch the check valve to gravity fill from a gas can. I can't imagine filling at the pump would improve opening the check valve, maybe. Anyway, I'm not that familiar with the factory flip flip cap but it is spring loaded and venting occurs down stream from the cap. Im certain I'll find out what the slosh factor is soon in right hand turns.

You make a decent right turn with that tank like that and check valve out, and fuel is gonna spray out from under that fuel cap

You make a decent right turn with that tank like that and check valve out, and fuel is gonna spray out from under that fuel cap
Thanks Matt, as it turns out fuel flow in at the pump is a pain even with the check valve out so I used the tank top cap, I'll put the check valve back in tomorrow. Sure was fun to have it on the road for a bit this morning.

Had time for a burn around the block, all systems go and this little 340 hauls ***! Too much fun right now to think about body and paint.

20230504_113647.jpg

brought the Cuda home for the weekend. Burgers and hot laps for my patient family. Good times.

early birthday and Christmas gifts from my older brother. My car is not painted so these are based off of my current paint scheme plan. I was blown away. He's asking for a redo of the realistic rendering since the rear quarter looks way too E bodyish

20231023_110457.jpg

20231023_110427.jpg

Recent progress:
4 spd leak fixed, the wrong bearing retainer clip was used. New reverse light switch leak fixed. Correct U Joints installed. Shelving the Flow Master 10's for 40's. New E brake system installed. New speedo cable in. Re working exhaust for 40 series Flow Masters. This includes creating room between the spare tire well and leaf springs for the rear valance exit points already in place. After exhaust im fabbing in '71 Cuda front fender gills. Im not ready to give up the car for paint yet so I might use the factory color and squirt all the fab work raw metal, then weather/ blend with wet sanding etc. Glad to have this hobby car.

20231230_115720.jpg

219-kit__35145.jpg

20231223_095818.jpg

20231222_093750.jpg

20231231_110627.jpg

20231231_092809.jpg

if you're happy with the fuel tank position as is why not lose the spare wheel well, fab a flat trunk floor and gain a ton of real estate for whatever mufflers you want?
neil.

Food for thought: Other people have fabbed in Cuda gills on non Cuda's, and they tend to be out of proportion, (oversized), in relation to the rest of the car. You might want to consider the ones used on other cars like the 57 Chevy Bel Aire to put them in proper proportion.

-
Back