1968 barracuda temp gauge and fuel level inop

-
Unfortunaly, the instrument regulator is built into the fuel gauge on your Barracuda. Since the oil pressure gauge is working there is more likely an open circuit somewhere. Could be at the bulk head connector or on the instrument cluster PC board assembly.

So, just to be clear are you saying there was no pulsing voltage at the temperature sensor wire?

It was very low. And i couldnt get a steady reading...jumped from as low as .04 up to 19.37 and it was erratic...i guess i may not understand why this is happening..I have tested voltage and am great with any other wiring in cars, just having issues with this sensor for some reason. Would anything explain why this would happen?

... Would anything explain why this would happen?
Yes. The gazillion posts on it here about the "dash Vreg". The ebay search words I gave previously used to lead to a vendor with detailed photos of the repair, what the Vreg inside your fuel gage looks like, and how to disable it. Try that.

I don't know how you could measure 19.4 V in a car w/ a 12.6 V battery. Was the alternator outputting (engine running)? Are your values voltage? Always state units with any measurement.

Just to be clear, you are putting the meter in the DCV 20 scale when you do this? A reading of 19.37 is not making sense; should be not higher than 12v. The wire should be disconnected from the temp sensor.

Is the decimal point on the meter display bouncing around as this is happening, or does the display shows a small 'm' or 'mV' to the right of the numbers? Some meters have an 'auto-scaling' function that changes it range automatically with large voltage changes; this might explain the 19.37 reading. (It might actually be 19.37 millivolts.)

As for the limiter, I have to agree with the Pete; if the oil pressure gauge is working, then the limiter has to work. So, it is down to bad gauges or wiring.

Here is an article that migth help you; it has a lot of pix of the cluster related to this.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/interior-electrical/23241-instrument-gauges-repair/

I think it is time to get that 27 or 22 ohm resistor, either one will do. Connect it from the temperature sensor wire to a good ground. With the ignition key in the run position the temperature gauge should read around mid-scale. If not, there is an open wire or the gauge is bad. The next thing I would do would involve getting under the dash board and connecting the resistor right to the gauge terminal to ground. If the gauge still doesn't read it is likely bad, if it does read, you have an open wire somewhere on the way to the engine sensor.

I actually dropped the car off for body work and paint today, gone for a month or so, I will let you know what I find out over the next month......

-
Back