1968 Dart 270 Hardtop, buying questions!! (VIDEO ADDED)

-
So...you buy it yet? :)

Lol I wish. ..The kid still has it and is looking for another car to drive...next issue is I need a secure place to park it. I live in an apartment and can get parking for it there but I can't really do any type of mechanical work on it there.

Yep 2K is a good price.

Just wondering though, if its really a 270, why it doesn't have the trim along the sides, and across the back of the trunk.

Some pics of my 68 270 (I've since removed the side trim)

My 270 didn't come with the side trim either...I suspect this was one of those things that could be deleted when ordering the car?

My 270 didn't come with the side trim either...I suspect this was one of those things that could be deleted when ordering the car?

Maybe, I am not sure, the kid said when he had it painted, he had them remove the side trim. The VIN# on mine is a "H" on this car indicates a high level price package, so maybe it was optional I am guessing.

Heres what I got from the Fender Tag, the color comes up what the current owner said it was, originally green.

CAR: Dodge Dart 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 318cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: March 08.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Split Bench Seats. Green Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Light Green Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Racing Green Metallic Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
14: Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings
89: Unknown Option

ABC OPTIONS:
S1: Air Conditioning
Q1: Unknown Option
R1: AM Radio
Y2: White Convertible Top
Z4: Unknown Option

abc OPTIONS:
p7: Unknown Option
t6: Unknown Option

original vinyl top car. make sure there is no rust hiding there.

that quarter looks to be filled with bondo. not fixed properly which is why it is poping like it is now.

that interior is going to take a lot of $$$ to get right. they ruined the door panels by cutting those stupid speakers in to them..

2k may be an ok price. would know better seeing it in person. but it is far from a clean original car in my opinion. gonna take a ton of $$$$ to get that thing right.

i'd rather save longer and find something nicer.

original vinyl top car. make sure there is no rust hiding there.

that quarter looks to be filled with bondo. not fixed properly which is why it is poping like it is now.

that interior is going to take a lot of $$$ to get right. they ruined the door panels by cutting those stupid speakers in to them..

2k may be an ok price. would know better seeing it in person. but it is far from a clean original car in my opinion. gonna take a ton of $$$$ to get that thing right.

i'd rather save longer and find something nicer.

BTW, I HATE the way I sound on video, I can't believe I talk with such a drawl sometimes, lol, but I guess thats the east coast PA accent still in me?

You make so very good points, I know the inside needs allot of work. I guess by original, I meant that the motor/drivetrain is original to the car. The current owner has new door panels for it, and allot of the parts for the inside, he has the original radio too.
The roof looks good, I checked inside the trunk area underneath the rear window and didn't visibly see any rust. Along the drips sills look good too, so I don't know, but it looks OK to me. I am wanting my neighbor too look at it, take it to his shop where he works and have them pop it up on the lift to check the underneath of the car also to make sure everything is solid on the Frame.

AND<the current owner did tell me straight up that quarter panel was bondo filled, so he has been honest with me I think. NO major leaks that I can see, it sits at our work all day and leaves no stains or puddles, but I know, that doesn't mean it isn't leaking something somewhere, all old cars seem to leak something lol

I am looking around...but for $2000 it is hard to find anything that is even in running condition, let alone be able to legally drive it on the road as this one. My neighbor just scored a 1998 FORD Mustang 4.6L V8 with dual custom exhaust, custom intake for $2000 with 112K on the clock...I know I know, thats a bad word lol, but he let me drive it and I tell you it has some get up and go, but not too good on the torque side of things. But I don't want a Ford, I want an old MOPAR!!

I did find this "B" body 1970 plymouth Roadrunner, it is a 383 stroker according to the dealer and 4 speed pistol grip and new green paint, power steering, NO power brakes and I test drove it.
I didn't have allot of time to really, really look at this car, as I was at work, and took a quick break just to take pictures of it, and ended up spending about 30 minutes looking at it and driving it.

It drives nice, pretty good power and acceleration, but None of the gauges work, and the odometer doesn't work so the true mileage is unknown. The "beep beep" horn doesn't' work or is non-existent. Reverse lights are missing.
The left quarter panel seems to have been bondoed also. Some of the dash pieces are loose, the parking brake doesn't' work properly, the wires under the hood look like spaghetti. The air grabber hood is not functional but appears to have all the parts there.

They want 30K for it. They cannot seem to provide me ANY type of documentation of it's originality, what work has been done, receipts, etc. That makes me really, really wary of this car. OF all places, I found it on the back lot of and Infiniti dealer, when I was making a delivery next door to the Airstream trailer sales lot
( I work for FedEx Freight)

It sounds really, really good when running, a nice little lope to it, mostly from the exhaust I am guessing. Looks like someone just gave up on it and traded it in on a new infiniti. Maybe it is 70% complete?? I dunno...

Pics of the Roadrunner:

A quick update on this purchase...I am still buying the car, at new agreed upon price of $2500, with ALL the parts he has for it.
This comes from his Mom, giving him a hard time, telling him, he is getting ripped off, like I am the one trying to rip him off, he offered the car TO ME for $2000:burnout:
I come to find out in chatting with him more about the car, he has the original steering wheel, that he says is in great shape, no cracks, etc. His Dad told him NOT to give it to me, but to sell it on Ebay...:violent1:
BUT, with our new agreement and a firm handshake, he is giving me the steering wheel, the aftermarket edelbrock intake, the 4bbl carb that needs rebuilt, and all and any trim pieces, emblems etc that he has, including the kick panels he removed from the inside, they were originally green, like the cars original color, but He says the previous owner painted them blue, and badly. But he says they are in good shape, just need repainted or something and re-installed.

Anyways, seems like he is content now that he is getting $500 more for the car and parts, and to me, it is still a steal at that price. It needs allot of work, but it has a good foundation, straight body, and is a driver I can fix up as I go.

Anyways, keeping my fingers crossed...worst case is he backs out, if he starts complaining about the price again, I am going to back out and tell him just to keep the car, save my money to buy a Dart that is nicer. I have been looking around, and it seems that for about 10K I can get something really decent, that will not need as much work.

Well, not sure if this deal is going to go through...he informed me today, that some jackwagon sideswiped his car in front of his house at 3am this morning. He said it isn't bad, the guy did stop and knock on the door at 3am to tell him he did it, he said he fell asleep at the wheel.

He said that the fender is not dented, but the drivers side fender it all scraped up from just past the drivers door, all the way to the front but didn't damage the bumper either

He tells me now if they have to repaint the whole car to match, that the price is going to go up. I told him no way, because he won't have to put out a dime for it, so why should I pay more? We already had a deal, shook hands on 2k, and he re-negotiated with me, and now we re-shook hands and agreed on $2500 with all the spare parts he has for it. BEFORE this incident.

To me, a man's handshake is worth his weight in gold, if you can't make good on what you say you will do, and do what you say you would, then you, and your word are worthless and that makes you a liar in my book.

What do you guys think?
Should I just keep saving my money, and buy something nicer? It will take me about 18-24 months to save enough to buy something decent that doesn't' need as much work as this dart does.
I really hate to let it go, because I hate the way this kid takes care of it, or lack there of. It saddens me that he just drives it, never washes it, the inside is a pig pen...I mean, I guess I want to just give it a good home where it will be taken care of.
I look on CL, and here, and see cars allot nicer for about 5-10K that look awesome and have had allot of work already done,
what say you a-body members?
Keep at this deal, or save for something better?
Thanks guys

Lol, after reading your last two posts, if he doesn't follow through in the next few days, I would walk away. It almost sounds like they're stringing you along.

Lol, after reading your last two posts, if he doesn't follow through in the next few days, I would walk away. It almost sounds like they're stringing you along.

Suggest go out & take a look at it to see if you still want the car with the damage. Take photos of damage. See if you can get estimate with photos. Go back with cash ($2500.00 - damage estimate) & offer to take the car as is.

If he doesn't go for it, he's not really motivated to sell.

Most of the 68 GTs I've seen have a side treatment like the yellow convertible. The GTSs have a treatment like the blue hardtop. A chrome rocker panel strip was optional.
Most of the 270s had a side treatment like the one in MileHighDart's post.

Attachments

• 68_00001-vi.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 68GTS2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 106
Well, not sure if this deal is going to go through...he informed me today, that some jackwagon sideswiped his car in front of his house at 3am this morning. He said it isn't bad, the guy did stop and knock on the door at 3am to tell him he did it, he said he fell asleep at the wheel.

He said that the fender is not dented, but the drivers side fender it all scraped up from just past the drivers door, all the way to the front but didn't damage the bumper either

He tells me now if they have to repaint the whole car to match, that the price is going to go up. I told him no way, because he won't have to put out a dime for it, so why should I pay more? We already had a deal, shook hands on 2k, and he re-negotiated with me, and now we re-shook hands and agreed on $2500 with all the spare parts he has for it. BEFORE this incident.

To me, a man's handshake is worth his weight in gold, if you can't make good on what you say you will do, and do what you say you would, then you, and your word are worthless and that makes you a liar in my book.

What do you guys think?
Should I just keep saving my money, and buy something nicer? It will take me about 18-24 months to save enough to buy something decent that doesn't' need as much work as this dart does.
I really hate to let it go, because I hate the way this kid takes care of it, or lack there of. It saddens me that he just drives it, never washes it, the inside is a pig pen...I mean, I guess I want to just give it a good home where it will be taken care of.
I look on CL, and here, and see cars allot nicer for about 5-10K that look awesome and have had allot of work already done,
what say you a-body members?
Keep at this deal, or save for something better?
Thanks guys

Save up for a nicer car.

Save up for a nicer car.

Yeah, this is what I am thinking...it's hard to be so patient though when I see some good deals out there now and I just don't have the cash to seal the deal. I do not want to get a loan or anything, I would rather just save up and get a decent car.

This dart, isn't anything special really, he has removed allot of the stock trim pieces, it needs paint, it's not a 340 car, and the interior need allot of work. The engine, who knows how long it will last.

I work with this guy, so I see him everyday...I am just not even going to talk to him about buying the car anymore and see what happens. If I can get it for a decent price, I will, but I am not going to beg him for it. I am going to tell him, if he brings it up again, which I know he will, I will only give him $2000, if he doesn't want that, then he can sell it elsewhere.

If you don't want to do a lot of racing, and won't cut the car up for weight savings and a drag chassis, then wait and save for a 340 or bb car. The money you put into it will be worth it in the end as long as you don't do a bunch of weird custom crap.

I work with this guy, so I see him everyday...I am just not even going to talk to him about buying the car anymore and see what happens. If I can get it for a decent price, I will, but I am not going to beg him for it. I am going to tell him, if he brings it up again, which I know he will, I will only give him $2000, if he doesn't want that, then he can sell it elsewhere.

Sticky situation with the seller being a co-worker. All the same, IMHO you've made a wise decision.

If you don't want to do a lot of racing, and won't cut the car up for weight savings and a drag chassis, then wait and save for a 340 or bb car. The money you put into it will be worth it in the end as long as you don't do a bunch of weird custom crap.

No racing, no cutting up the car, I just want a nice, original car, or even one that has an upgraded motor from a slant car or a 318 car upgraded to a 340 would be fine also, and keeping it mostly stock, except for some headers and a mild cam, other than that, I just want to stay as original as I can, shoot, I even want it to have a stock working radio if possible, I can still listen to the ballgames on the AM radio!:D

Sticky situation with the seller being a co-worker. All the same, IMHO you've made a wise decision.

Thank you...I have come to a conclusion, and have discussed this with the wife, that I can afford to save $125 per week, at that rate, this time next year I will have $6500 saved, plus the $1000 I have already saved, and I am gathering all the things from my closet and cabinets that I can sell on ebay that I do not need anymore. Watches, Garmin sports GPS watch, old cell phones, etc. Every $1 will help me reach my goal!! So I am hoping, that I can have close to 10K by this time next year, do you think that will find me a nice ride?:dontknow:

And thanks for the replies guys, you have really helped guide me in the right direction, I need that push sometimes! And, hopefully you will let me stick around the forums, even though I do not actually have an A body yet.

-
Back