1968 Dart 2dr post RESTO (father/son)

-
Thanks from me too! You aren't cluttering up the thread, its helping me out a ton. I'm glad I have an idea now as to where and how to put in some plate. I like the tow hook idea under the skid plate, too. I may very well borrow that. Did you put any metal on the opposite side of the box, the mounting surface side?

You are right about the welding being fun. I think I rewelded most of the factory welds just because a. they looked worse than mine, I think it was welded in 1971 by a man with either horrible eyesight or a bad hangover, and b. I was just having fun welding.

I think I will do the washer-pivot reinforcement just because its out and laying there. I like overkill lol. Thanks again for all the help!

This can be done to spool k frames also correct?

Yes sir it can! Actually, looking at his pics, his is a spool. Mine has the mout pads, and is solid across the bottom.

I just remembered something. The K that is in my Dart Sport is the one from the early stages of 76orangewagons build, it is reinforced as well. The Dart Sport is sitting right in my driveway...doh!

You thinking of doing an a-body K-member? If you want, when I make my templates, I will hang on to them and send them your way.

Check out these factory welds (the one bead across the bottom is mine, I had started to weld and forgot the before pics. Where I welded, there had been barely any weld holding it! The poor eyesight, hungover factory welder had missed most of the seam and welded beside it.)

Attachments

• IMG_20131008_165828.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20131008_165842.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20131008_165912.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 306
Wow, you're a quick study. Nice work.

Not sure if you've tried sheet metal yet but I think you'll want gas for that. It's more finicky but you'll pick it up real fast.

Thanks! My teachers always said that, and my bosses always said I make their job easy lol. I appreciate the compliment!

I have tried sheetmetal, but only with flux core. It is kinda rough, but it didnt turn out too bad. I already put some filler over it to smooth it out, or I'd snap some pics. I was just talking to my dad yesterday about wanting to try mig welding and buying gas, but I don't have a garage so I am afraid it won't work so well outside, or so I have been told. My brother just got a tank a couple months ago and has wanted me to try it.

You can weld outside with gas. If its windy, just make some kind of shield. Breeze is fine.

Thank you! Hearing stuff like that makes me want weld even more! You know, since I need more wire anyway, and my welder came with everything to set it up for mig, I may just try to get a tank. I am SUPPOSED to have my 360 sold today, so it might just work out.

Does outside temperature, and metal temperature, have any effect on welding? Say, if it was 40 degrees and I was welding in subframe connectors?

I'd say minimal if any effect. Steel melts at about 2700 degrees so starting at 40 or 80, not much difference :)

The wind blowing will affect the argon.

Cool thread.on this note:
I have tried sheetmetal, but only with flux core. It is kinda rough, but it didnt turn out too bad. I already put some filler over it to smooth it out, or I'd snap some pics. I was just talking to my dad yesterday about wanting to try mig welding and buying gas, but I don't have a garage so I am afraid it won't work so well outside, or so I have been told. My brother just got a tank a couple months ago and has wanted me to try it.
Please do.The Co2/Argon helps SO MUCH.Seems to keep the weld pocket cooler,and less spatter. The money spent on gas assist,is worth tenfold on sheetmetal work. Flux core works,not even close to gas assist.

Ok, you guys convinced me. I sold my magnum I had built for this car, so I will go get some argon, mig wire, new tips, new gloves, and maybe a auto-darkening helmet. I probably won't have much of a chance to do much this week, I have an appointment with an oral surgeon wednesday, doctor thursday, going on a 3 hour each way trip to get my new heads probably on tuesday, and I have to finish porting the magnum head and get that engine together for my friend.

Next on the list for the Dart, is to 1. Make the gussets for the k-member and finish it up, and get it painted. 2. weld in the pass side inner fender flange I made, weld a patch on the drivers side inner fender right where the shock brace is (not big, maybe 3" square), and a few other small spots. 3. I may make my own firewall to inner fender braces, similar to the ones by us car tool (I think thats who makes them?). They go in the wheelwell from the firewall to the shock tower.

I doubt I will get to spray the engine compartment this year, since the cold weather is coming. That will make a nice springtime project, after I get all the bugs worked out and I know I am done changing stuff lol.

cool project car, and nice to see a post car!

Thanks! I have to say, I wasn't a big fan at first, but it is really growing on me. Once I jacked up the rear just to experiment with stance, it started to look much "meaner", and that is what I like. My son is afraid I am going to like it too much and not let him have it, but I still like my Dart Sport. I will, however, make him build a 273 or STOCK 318 for it when he gets his license. No way will I leave the fast stuff on there!

Ok, engine plans changed again. He feels guilty putting my stroker in it, he says "but you got that for your car". So, he wants to work on the suspension and rust repair, and this spring find a stock 318 or slant 6 and put it in, after we detail the engine compartment. Kind of proud of him, shows me he has patience and wants to do it right. Whenever this crappy rain lets up and I can finish putting together the magnum I sold, I am going to jump back on the welding. I cant wait! I will get the front suspension back in, brakes working, etc, and concentrate on stiffening the car up.

Ok, engine plans changed again. He feels guilty putting my stroker in it, he says "but you got that for your car". So, he wants to work on the suspension and rust repair, and this spring find a stock 318 or slant 6 and put it in, after we detail the engine compartment. Kind of proud of him, shows me he has patience and wants to do it right. Whenever this crappy rain lets up and I can finish putting together the magnum I sold, I am going to jump back on the welding. I cant wait! I will get the front suspension back in, brakes working, etc, and concentrate on stiffening the car up.

You must have taught him something.

Is it done yet? :geek:

Haha I wish! I don't have any new updates, other than the change in plans for the drivetrain I sort of detailed in another thread. Its on hold for a few days, have to finish up the magnum head and get the 5.9 buttoned up for my buddy's truck, then I have to dig out the small block stuff I won't be using and sell it. Well, clean it up first lol. Some cool goodies (untouched Strip Dominator, 750 dp with a new Holley kit, barely used comp cams solid custom grind/lifters, who knows what else I may find!)
Then, its back to welding...I can't wait!

You must have taught him something.

:D Thanks! I've had custody of him since he was 2, I like to think I played a little part. Unlike alot of kids his age, he cares about other people.

I think the 68' is on hold indefinitely, between the holidays approaching, remodeling/repairing the house, and the fact that I can't stand working in the cold. I will probably try to pick up where I left off when the weather warms up. Unless the boy changes his mind, in which case I'll be selling it.

Thanks for the info! Man, that is really, really tempting for the price. Especially for my Dart Sport, to get it out of the weather.

I may have spoke too soon about not getting to work on it. I helped a buddy get an electric drier out of his basement (They are really light, and with it strapped to a big dolly, all I really did was hold the doors lol), afterwards we went to the service station he inherited from his grandfather, I happened to ask him if he knew of any small blocks for sale cheap, lo and behold he had a 1972 318, carb to pan, points dist, etc, sitting in the corner. He says, that ran when I got it, been sitting a while, you can have it for helping me. SWEET!

Now, to resist the urge to modify...because that costs money and I won't have that for a while. I do want to change the timing chain, oil pump, rear seal, valve seals, check the bearings, put a car pan on it, freeze plugs/flush/water pump, and probably rebuild the carb. I already have a new pan and pickup, rear seal, valve seals, so I will probably be under $100 on this one. Works for me! Also still have my brand new set of headers. Although, I wish I still had a drivers side a-body manifold, I would honestly just like to build something bone-stock for once. I have never had a stock V8 mopar.

-
Back