1968 Dart GT engine/tranny reference resto

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has asked me to do a reference resto on his engine, transmission and the front end. It's for a 1968 Dodge Dart GT convertible that was equipped with 273 x 2 bbl, automatic on the column, power top and bench seat.

I will just do the front end for him.

Since I've been into 65s for the last 32 years I need some help from fellow members with 1968 Dart.

The questions right now is;

1. Was the kick-down linkage silver zinc or black phosphated?

2. Was the kick-down bracket on the rear on the left cylinder head the same as on 1965 Dart?

3. I need a date coded distributor for this engine. The car was produced early February of 1968 so late 67/early 68 would do it.

4. The crankshaft pulley, was it painted black or red?

I'll shoot some pictures tomorrow for you.

This is how the engine looks like so far. Still lots of work that needs to be done.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 461
  • 009.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 447
Today I assembled the oil pan and the gaskets. Looks sweet. Started with the distributor. Hope to have it ready on Saturday.

But I need original pictures of 1968 A-bodies with 273 prefer factort color pictures so I can geta clue on how it loooked back in the day. 1968 is to new to me......!

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 430
  • 005.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 419
I got the NOS fuel pump for the engine today. ThenI found out that the fuel pump outlet goes towards the inlet compared to the front direction on 1965 small blocks. Does anyone have a picture of how it looked back in the day?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 398
I got the NOS fuel pump for the engine today. ThenI found out that the fuel pump outlet goes towards the inlet compared to the front direction on 1965 small blocks. Does anyone have a picture of how it looked back in the day?

Behind/under the fuel pump is one freeze plug. I have two freeze plug kits but none of the fit? Does anyone have one for sale?

got a 340 distrib came outa 68or69 gs dart

Thank you for your offer but I have already restored the original one to factory specs.

Today arrived a package from US with a nice looking pair of valve covers for the engine. Don (65dartman) sent me them for free. I really owe you one Don. Thank you so much. I started to round up all the bolts and gaskets for them. Tomorrow night they will be bolted to the block.

What kind of spark plug wire separators do 1968 valve covers use? Was it the single ones or the double ones?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 360
  • 006.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 354
Now it's geeting closer to brake in the engine. I lifted the engine into my super starting setup where it will be until we are finished!

BUT, I need a right side exhaust manifold for the engine. Anyone for sale?

:glasses7:

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 004.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 284
I'm looking for the two plastic spark plug wire holders that goes on the valve cover.

Thanks FABO

I found out that the shop is too small and I need the space. I did some serios work on the engine and now it is in paint. I have started to add up some small items to finish it. But it getting better.......

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 002.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 229
I've got a 68 Dart GT that was an early production car (sold in '67) and fairly original/stock. Let me know if you need any info or pictures. I'll help you best I can. Mine's a hardtop, 273, auto on the floor though.

I've got a 68 Dart GT that was an early production car (sold in '67) and fairly original/stock. Let me know if you need any info or pictures. I'll help you best I can. Mine's a hardtop, 273, auto on the floor though.

Thank you so much!

I need Pictures of the following items;
- kickdown linkage
- fuel line placement after fuel pump
- lower bracket strap for the alternator
- placement of ignition coil
- holder (ring) for the spark plug wires between the cap and the holders in the valve covers.
- what kind of fan did they use in 1968? Is it the same as the 1965 one?

Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you so much!

I need Pictures of the following items;
- kickdown linkage
- fuel line placement after fuel pump
- lower bracket strap for the alternator
- placement of ignition coil
- holder (ring) for the spark plug wires between the cap and the holders in the valve covers.
- what kind of fan did they use in 1968? Is it the same as the 1965 one?

Thank you so much for your help.

I'll try taking a look at it this weekend as I've got a big business presentation to give out this week. Off the top of my head, I believe I have a 7-blade fan, but I'm not sure that's original as the fan shroud is just a little worn/damaged.

I'm looking for two plastic clips on the valve cover holding the spark plug cables to the valve cover.

Thanks FABO

I may have access to a clip or two. We will look. I know they are tougher to find since they typically broke...
Tom

I may have access to a clip or two. We will look. I know they are tougher to find since they typically broke...
Tom

Thanks Tom! Looking forward to hear from you.

Last night I found an NOS carburator for the engine. I just need to find an air cleaner for it!! Does anyone have a Picture how the upper fuel line should look like from the fuel filter to the carburator?

The pulleys are glass beaded and painted. I also found the right lower bracket holding the alternator in place. Now I need to find a date coded alternator!

BTW! What model of fan did they had on the 273? 4, 5 or 7 blade fan?

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 111
Is there a reason the engine is painted orange? Shouldn't it be red?

The kickdown linkage as well as the coil bracket should be silver zinc plated.

It looks like you have the linkage upside down. The piece that goes to the carb should be installed into the pivot from the outside. The bar will then go down and flatten out. The way you have it now, the bar goes up before it flattens out.

Shouldn't the negative batter cable be attached to the front of the head instead of on an intake bolt?

Is there a reason the engine is painted orange? Shouldn't it be red?

The kickdown linkage as well as the coil bracket should be silver zinc plated.

It looks like you have the linkage upside down. The piece that goes to the carb should be installed into the pivot from the outside. The bar will then go down and flatten out. The way you have it now, the bar goes up before it flattens out.

Shouldn't the negative batter cable be attached to the front of the head instead of on an intake bolt?

Sorry but Ithink it's the light! The engine is painted with International red color.

The kick/down linkage will be shipped tomorrow to US for right finish as well as the coil bracket. Thanks for the input. I didn't know the linkage was silver zinc!

The battery cable is in the right place. Checked several early car magazines from 1967 and 1968.

Big block engines had it attached to the intake but I've never seen a small block with it attached there. The 318 out of my 68 Dart has it attached to the front of the head. I'm still learning these A-bodies though. Maybe mine was changed at some point.

Thank you burdar for the detailed picture! Now I know how the last piece of the fuel line looks lika as well as the holder for the heater hoses. Is it the same on the 273 engines??

The date coded spark plug wires showed up today. Now I only need one holder for the wires and two holders for the covers. If anyone have somefor sale I'm ready to buy them if they are for sale! LOL

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 003.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 004.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 91
-
Back