1968 - Dart GT - Need Wheel & Tire Suggestion

-

Prodrive789

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm finally getting my 68' Dart GT that's been in my family since new and passed down to me years ago moving. Time to get it from the barn and down to my house. I've finally gotten my garage / shop renovation done and my Street / strip 68' Valiant needs a friend!

It's a 273 car (40k orig miles), Burgundy w/ black vinyl top and black vinyl/leather interior and console shift. The car is like a time capsule and in amazing condition since it's been covered and on stands since the 80's.

Over the years, we've changed out rear suspension to super stock springs, had it re-painted about 5-6 years ago and kept up engine maintenance, fluids..etc I've got the Mopar electronic ignition distributor kit to swap into it this weekend.

It has factory 13" Factory steel wheels with caps, but they have been sitting and not on the road since the mid 80's. This will be a weekend cruiser / nice weather only car that will remain in stock form.

I want to keep it factory/period correct, but wouldn't mind having 15" Rallye wheels ( 15x7 rear & 15x6 up front) But also the factory steel wheels with caps are a great look as well.

Any suggestions on wheel / tire size combo, I would love to hear them!
I've got lots of big pattern wheels kicking around, but nothing small.

I'm inclined to go the Rallye wheel route, since I have steelies on my Valiant but I am very open to suggestions.

I don't have any pictures right now, but will snap some this weekend.
Here's a few of the street / strip Valiant for now!

Shaun - Valiant.png

Shaun - Valiant2.png.jpg

If it came from the factory with steel wheels and dog dish type hubcaps and you like the look, you can get 15" steel wheels and caps.

On the other hand there are some cool looking hubcaps out there, might not have been an option on your car, but if you like it...

My car is also a one family car bought new and it has the original full size hub caps on the OE 14" wheels, a few more miles 318,000! But I get the time capsule aspect and keeping it stock is kind of an important thing for me.

Hello,
I'm finally getting my 68' Dart GT that's been in my family since new and passed down to me years ago moving. Time to get it from the barn and down to my house. I've finally gotten my garage / shop renovation done and my Street / strip 68' Valiant needs a friend!

It's a 273 car (40k orig miles), Burgundy w/ black vinyl top and black vinyl/leather interior and console shift. The car is like a time capsule and in amazing condition since it's been covered and on stands since the 80's.

Over the years, we've changed out rear suspension to super stock springs, had it re-painted about 5-6 years ago and kept up engine maintenance, fluids..etc I've got the Mopar electronic ignition distributor kit to swap into it this weekend.

It has factory 13" Factory steel wheels with caps, but they have been sitting and not on the road since the mid 80's. This will be a weekend cruiser / nice weather only car that will remain in stock form.

I want to keep it factory/period correct, but wouldn't mind having 15" Rallye wheels ( 15x7 rear & 15x6 up front) But also the factory steel wheels with caps are a great look as well.

Any suggestions on wheel / tire size combo, I would love to hear them!
I've got lots of big pattern wheels kicking around, but nothing small.

I'm inclined to go the Rallye wheel route, since I have steelies on my Valiant but I am very open to suggestions.

I don't have any pictures right now, but will snap some this weekend.
Here's a few of the street / strip Valiant for now!

View attachment 1715588571

View attachment 1715588572
That is really sweet lookin'

If it came from the factory with steel wheels and dog dish type hubcaps and you like the look, you can get 15" steel wheels and caps.

On the other hand there are some cool looking hubcaps out there, might not have been an option on your car, but if you like it...

My car is also a one family car bought new and it has the original full size hub caps on the OE 14" wheels, a few more miles 318,000! But I get the time capsule aspect and keeping it stock is kind of an important thing for me.

So many options!
Very cool on the one family car, its so great and feel very fortunate to have it in the family and will be with me!

Oregon Blue plate?
Yes, Purchased it for a fellow in Oregon.
Car came with the original plates in 69.

I've got a WA collector plate on the rear and am torn on keeping the Oregon plate up front. I really like that its original to the car and goes with the aesthetic nicely. WA only sends one collector plate per vehicle, so no WA front plate. Thought about a Mopar plate of some kind but the OR plate ties it together.

I only drive it on weekends or nice days around town.

Wheel Vintiques (small bolt pattern) and Cooper Cobra's

215-65-15 on 15x6 front
245-60-15 on 15x7 back

Need to cut the 15x7 trim rings down to fit the 15x6
(they dont make trim rings for the 15x6 for some reason)

dart56.JPG

dart57.JPG

I think it is available on mymopar.com but there is some sales literature that shows accessories available. One is hubcaps and wheels

Rallies, cop car wheels with hub caps or Road Runner style with just chrome lugs. all good choices for a stock feel

DSC01472.JPG

I kinda shop for 5 on 4 for my barracuda.
I've found Boyd coddingtons in 17", us mags makes a polished 5spoke torque thrust lookalike, American racing and us mags make 15" slots, cragar makes 15" (And I think 14") chrome ss's, and American makes a black centerline lookalike in 14x7
The above run anywhere from around $100 to $400 each
The steelies with caps, and rallies you know about.
Frankly, there is more selection for 5x4 out there than I thought.

Rocket Racing Wheels has a great site with 5 on 4 bolt pattern wheels. They have a "wheel Visualizer" where you click on the wheel type to get an idea of what they look like on a car. They don't show a Valiant, only 2nd gen Barracuda's but You get an idea any way. The set I like are the R23 Fuel Gray paint centers and machined outer. Reminds me of the torque thrust wheels.

Last edited:
No Rallye wheels! 15” Wheel Vintiques steel wheels painted body color with correct 68 Dodge bottle caps.

-
Back