1968 Dart GTS Convertible project

-

Paul_G

Reaction score
I am looking at this Dart GTS as my next project car. I am a B body guy, this would be my first A Body if it comes home with me. Before I get serious about doing it I need to know more about this model car, it's real world value as a finished car, GTS rarity and how to tell if it is a real GTS. And any other valuable 68 Dart info.

Description;
1968 dodge dart GTS convertible project car. An original 340/automatic gts. Was a nice running and driving car before restoration started. Have basically all the parts and over $65k invested to this point. Basically mostly all new sheet Metal, almost no Miles on rebuilt 383 with a mild cam. Had a manual transmission but was going to put a correct automatic back in. Many parts still new in box. 90% of body work done and all panels fit perfectly to the car. I have all the parts and it’s basically pretty complete.

Some pictures of the car:

nc_ohc=ZcrQNvhjI5AAX93_hub&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.jpg

nc_ohc=IQIUuGqxrCwAX8Ji2FZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.jpg

nc_ohc=ThTdCe63ByQAX9XpCu2&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.jpg

nc_ohc=sb2luYZ46KkAX8KgV6x&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=ZliRr-jw5UYAX__sVHC&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=OuS9055YMhoAX_HDD8X&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.jpg

jteDbblPHDn_1mzsnXCB7VvXpB&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=6Qdom8dOV-cAX9imfFt&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.jpg

nc_ohc=J6id0noX2_oAX_yAqdQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=U_Ac7I0gjxsAX8MK9MV&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.jpg

nc_ohc=2cSG8GUb3nEAX9-tk1r&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.jpg

nc_ohc=tFJqfsbRec0AX-DoDjG&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.jpg

nc_ohc=VnfPdjLQg4YAX_kT8bv&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.jpg

So it has a vin tag which indicates LS27, which is a good start. Means Dart, high trim, convertible. The S.O. # I can't see but if you can read it and find it on the rad core support and the driver's side rear trunk lip then again positive results. Then you have to determine if they are original to the body or have been strategically placed there ??? There are other places on the body that the P.O.# appears that I'm not as familiar with but possibly another member will elaborate. As far as what it's worth when finished is hard to determine. It will depend on how close it comes to being correct and of course the quality of the restoration. 340 auto maybe in the 50 and up range as it sits hard to say as there's tons of work to be done. Ad says 65 k invested and it doesn't look close to finished. Roughly 300 built I believe. Just my initial thoughts. Wish you luck if you purchase.

If it was me, I would put the manual transmission back in. The fender tag should be able to tell you exactly what you have. The closer you stay to the original equipment the better the value of your car. Numbers matching is a huge part, then date code correct. I don't think that it's a good idea to add or take away from the original build of the car especially if value is a concern. Good luck with your car.

IMHO, all they did was buy and hang as much AMD repro sheet metal as available. High probability this car was very rusty at one time. With 68 cars the only thing that ties the vin to the body is the build sheet. Better have SO# stampings on radiator support and trunk lip.

I thought there was issue with AMD repro dart bulge hoods?

This is a FF1 green auto GTS vert. Maybe $60-70K done quality in todays market. Of course, by the time it’s done who knows where the market will be. Buildsheet and non #’s motor/trans will hold it back.

I see a $20k-$25K car tops. Some of the “new” stuff won’t be used. That top seems new, but it hasn’t been sorted right and it should have a glass rear window. white skins look messed up. Does this car even get white interior? The conv rear interior quarter prices need reconstruction. I can see chunks missing.

Hope they didn’t loose the conv only transition crime pit metal piece between the upper belt trim to convertible well trim.

Pay attention to the seams on the tops of the quarters, where they cut a hardtop quarter and put it on the conv near the top trim. It appears that they just plug welded it every few inches. It needs to be a solid welded joint or it will crack later on. Whoever is footing the bill for the resto is already WAY upside down in that one if they have $65K in it! I'd sell the 383 and put a 340 back in it if I were fixing it.

IMHO, all they did was buy and hang as much AMD repro sheet metal as available. High probability this car was very rusty at one time. With 68 cars the only thing that ties the vin to the body is the build sheet. Better have SO# stampings on radiator support and trunk lip.

I thought there was issue with AMD repro dart bulge hoods?

This is a FF1 green auto GTS vert. Maybe $60-70K done quality in todays market. Of course, by the time it’s done who knows where the market will be. Buildsheet and non #’s motor/trans will hold it back.

I see a $20k-$25K car tops. Some of the “new” stuff won’t be used. That top seems new, but it hasn’t been sorted right and it should have a glass rear window. white skins look messed up. Does this car even get white interior? The conv rear interior quarter prices need reconstruction. I can see chunks missing.

Hope they didn’t loose the conv only transition crime pit metal piece between the upper belt trim to convertible well trim.
If you see a 25k car, then mopars are cheap were you
are. Most 318 A bodies here in Missouri have asking price of 28k to 43k. Guys think that A bodies are a gold mine. The last one I saw for sale the owner was asking 28k and it had rust around the wheel wells

If you see a 25k car, then mopars are cheap were you
are. Most 318 A bodies here in Missouri have asking price of 28k to 43k. Guys think that A bodies are a gold mine. The last one I saw for sale the owner was asking 28k and it had rust around the wheel wells

$25K as the rolling tack-welded-together blown apart shell that it is right now. And the boxes of parts that hopefully aren’t missing very hard to find convertible only parts.

QUOTE="autoxcuda, post: 1974323896, member: 4432"]
$25K as the rolling tack-welded-together blown apart shell that it is right now. And the boxes of parts that hopefully aren’t missing very hard to find convertible only parts.
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a adventure, but rewarding project. Good luck with the direction you take

I am taking a wad of cash, my trailer, and a buddy tomorrow morning to go see the car. More than likely it will come home with me. I asked the owner for the build sheet, he said it did not have one. He said he has owned it for 15 years doing the resto slowly. He owns a restoration shop and is closing the doors and retiring. His asking price for the car and all the parts that go with it is $12000.

I am taking a wad of cash, my trailer, and a buddy tomorrow morning to go see the car. More than likely it will come home with me. I asked the owner for the build sheet, he said it did not have one. He said he has owned it for 15 years doing the resto slowly. He owns a restoration shop and is closing the doors and retiring. His asking price for the car and all the parts that go with it is $12000.

That sounds more like it. Check for numbers on the trunk lip. Big project. I'm sure missing parts over the 15 years and in a body shop.

Yes that's much better price than the "I got 65 k invested " statement. Probably does but that's the way it goes. 10k is a nice round number that he might go for. Best of luck on your new project.

I did not buy the car. It was not as far along with the body work as it looked. The quarters were tacked on but not finished, big gaps in the trunk extensions, core support not original to the car and not finish welded in place. It had lots of new parts, but still will need a lot. I dont do body work, so even if I completely disassemble everything from the body myself and put it on temporary rollers, I estimate the cost to send it to a restorer to finish the panel install, make everything look and fit right, then paint the entire body back to the original color will be from $25000 to $30000. The car is just not worth the restoration cost even if he gave it away.

Someone will take it, no doubt. Makes a huge difference between doing it yourself and farming it out, you're probably a little low on the cost estimate IMHO.

In the Craigslist description it states original this and that "you know what they say only original once" . Also says power steering and disc brakes but not on the fender tag. Disc brakes musta been added which I personally don't mind but not original untouched. States only seat covers replaced in another description. Still I like it.

-
Back