1968 Dart speaker options

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
So I'm wondering what rear speakers people have put in their ragtops. I have fronts in lower kick panels. Looking for rears with top down. I was thinking of fabbing some rear bucket seat panels to mount speakers facing rear passengers. I know there is a cut retangular hole on the rear face of door that lines up with the back area but not going to cut my door panels.
What's in your Ragtop ?

upload_2020-5-7_9-6-19.png

In mine I got two tweeters in the stock dash location, rounds in the kick panels and a single amped sub in the trunk. Sounds great and you can hear it fine unless your on the highway with the top down. You don't hear the sub too much then but still hear what's up front. My cars kinda loud so that doesn't help though. Years ago on another conv I put them standing up on the rear floor. The bottom of the rear seat overhangs the floor pan. I pretty much enclosed most of that area mostly flush with the back seat, like a small speaker box and cut the holes for the speakers. They face forward so the sound mostly stays in the cabin.

Last edited:
We had some indoor/outdoor bookshelf speakers in my son's Dart, just mounted to the trunk floor. Couldn't hear them with the top down, but was fine with the top up. I haven't decided what I'm going to run in my Barracuda.

My 67' already had 4" Pioneers cut into the plastic side panels near level with the seat bottom. I wouldn't have done that, but since the previous owner already did... And they sound fairly good, by 50-yr-old car standards.

I also have a pair of 4x6" in the kick panels up front, and an under seat 10" subwoofer to try and overcome the bass loss with the top down. Haven't installed it yet, though. Worst case, I figure could install one under each side (the benefits of a bench seat).

vm

I have 6x9s in speaker boxes wired in with quick connectors. Have them on the rear floor, and can hear them with the top down. I cam put them in the trunk at shows if I want to.

They make really thin powered subwoofers that you might be able to put under a seat. I bought one for my Firebird Trans am convertible, but couldn't figure out a place for it. Might try it in my cuda.

-
Back