1968 Dart

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
The center shaft of the column is different between power and manual. If you get the proper one, get it with the coupler.

are you talking about the steering shaft coupler? It looks like a retangle box that attaches the steering shaft to the steering box?

It houses 2 wedge shape shoes and a band spring, and it has a cover plate and a gasket

mopar charlie

Yea, it's the bell shaped part that connects the gear box to the steering column shaft. I have converted to power sterring. The manual spline on the gear box is smaller

Yes, the power steering coupler has a smaller splined hole than the manual steering coupler but the shaft is shorter too. Get them both together from a donor car.

damn i hate to hear that. i now have 2 colums and neither fit.. but it looks like i will find another. easer said than done. what years can i get to fit. thanks

As a whole column, '67-9 will interchange on the floor shift cars and 3 speed manuals on the column cars. For just the center shaft w/coupler, I think it's just '68-9. If I remember correctly, the '67 uses a different lower bearing. I'll try to verify tomorrow. On the column shift autos, '67 and most of '68 have the backup light switch mounted on the column whereas real late '68 and '69 don't. Same deal on the center shafts as the floor shift/3speed columns. Which one do you need? I'll take a look for you.

The column has only one switch just inside the firewall. I think it is the nuetral safty switch but i have been screwed up before. The column shaft is 3/4 in. Thick.

The neutral safety switch in in the transmission. The switch on top the column down close to the firewall is the backup light switch. '67 and '68 were the last two years that used that setup. The shafts are all the same diameter but they're different lengths depending on if it's a manual or power steering column.

I did find a 69 dart p/s, pulling the 318 this weekend. Hopefully i can use parts from it. I appreciate you replys. I will let you know what happens. Bud

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back