1968 Fastback

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
Well guys, I sold a fairly clean 65 Dart convertible and bought a very dirty 68 Barracuda Fastback and I couldn't be more excited. My father in law saw this car in 2007 while on vacation and has been knocking on the guys door every year ever since. Of course at the time the car was not for sale and he was going to get to it, but low and behold 9 years later he called and was ready to sell. He was the original owner and ordered the car. Original title, window sticker, and all sorts of documentation. Unfortunately the car has been sitting since the mid 90's so it needs a full resto. The great news it is 100% complete and all the trim is in very good shape. It is going to be a long process but this thing will be pretty sweet when it gets there. A little about it: 68 Fastback Electric Blue w/ Black interior 318 2 barrel 4 Speed on the floor 8 3/4 w/ 3.23 SG Power brakes Manual Steering 16:1 HD suspension package w/ sway bar Came disc but he changed to drums I plan on getting it "cleaned up" and ready to take the suspension and brakes apart this weekend. The plan is to get it back on the road and driven while I save for body and paint. I'll be doing the body myself (with help from a skilled vet) and will have a good friend paint the car hopefully winter of 2017, but we all know how that goes.

Attachments

• image-3309920131.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 675
  • image-345106380.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 647
  • image-159089180.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 628
  • image-2233784516.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 633
  • image-561027752.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 642
  • image-705726787.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 645
This thing is oozing with potential... On the outside that is...

Any motor and interior pics? Do you by chance know the condition of the floors?

Looks like a really nice starting point! Good luck.

This thing is oozing with potential... On the outside that is...

Any motor and interior pics? Do you by chance know the condition of the floors?

Not any good ones but I will get some this weekend, the front seats need redone, the top dash pad needs replaced, carpet in passenger area, and a headliner, however the rear seat and fastback area are in good shape and will just need to be cleaned up.

Fantastic score! i scored a similiar deal on my 68' FB. nice getting a car that hasn't been cut up, modified and lost factory parts.

A ton to do on this car and the more I take it apart the more I find to do, as expected. Been way too cold to get anything done in the garage so I decided why not pull the dash and start in on it. Going to convert the ammeter to a voltmeter and update the tach while I have it out. He hacked the dash to put in a cassette player and I figured I would take a page out of Rani's book and go radio delete.

Attachments

• image-1118483043.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 532
That is a fantastic car to start out with!!!
I'll be watching for sure. Good luck and PLEASE... Keep us all posted on your progress and PLEASE........... Post lots of pictures.

I"m restoring a 1968 Fastback also, I really need to replace the front fenders especially the driver side. Can you tell me if 1967 fenders will fit my car? I know that the side lite is different.

wow! great project. not suse bout the 67 fender? maybe same except fixing the marker light?????

I been lusting for a 67-9 FB Cuda for a while, for B B sorta clone, found a pair , one great shell with no vin and other hit hard in a** end, but cheap!!!! ha

maybe a small bank loan and road trip!!????? ha

I"m restoring a 1968 Fastback also, I really need to replace the front fenders especially the driver side. Can you tell me if 1967 fenders will fit my car? I know that the side lite is different.

The fenders will fit, but you will not have your side markers unless you cut the holes yourself

wow! great project. not suse bout the 67 fender? maybe same except fixing the marker light?????

I been lusting for a 67-9 FB Cuda for a while, for B B sorta clone, found a pair , one great shell with no vin and other hit hard in a** end, but cheap!!!! ha

maybe a small bank loan and road trip!!????? ha

Where are they at? Maybe I make a road trip???? :D

Where are they at? Maybe I make a road trip???? :D

ha! now every time I try to sell one of my cars, .... guys that are far a way as you always say: "W ow! great car and price! wish you were CLOSER!" ha

only reason I didn't go after these before, the guy was busy with his boss' harvest, AND I never could get all the answers I want. not just a short run to get them, plus 2 trips. plus, I don't believe in reboding, and unless you probably spend $1000 at frame machine doing the wreck, that is what it takes!

ha! now every time I try to sell one of my cars, .... guys that are far a way as you always say: "W ow! great car and price! wish you were CLOSER!" ha

only reason I didn't go after these before, the guy was busy with his boss' harvest, AND I never could get all the answers I want. not just a short run to get them, plus 2 trips. plus, I don't believe in reboding, and unless you probably spend $1000 at frame machine doing the wreck, that is what it takes!

Further south than you are?? LOL

Sorry to the OP for hijack..........:prayer:

Finally a break in the weather and got some work done this weekend. Got the interior ripped out which helped with the smell. Got floor pans ordered for the front. But the frame rails are all rock solid which is a a huge win. The windshield needs replaced so I'll yank that then pull the whole dash out to sand a paint. The top dash pad is toast but the bottom one cleaned up like new. No cracks in the steering wheel just dirty.

Attachments

• image-3435121322.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 328
  • image-1574744258.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 320
  • image-3611692329.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 325
  • image-1333334758.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 326
  • image-2752553289.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 315
  • image-15170350.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 306
  • image-2570764704.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 305
  • image-3261735178.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 319
Wow, I'm in looove!! Awesome project, is it green on the outside but originally blue?? Looks like a fun project, congrats!!

Wow, I'm in looove!! Awesome project, is it green on the outside but originally blue?? Looks like a fun project, congrats!!
Thanks! originally Q code Electric Blue, which it will go back to. But it was hit on the drivers rear quarter and was painted K code mist turquoise with very low quality paint. Actually the paint under the new paint and primer is in better shape!

It's an ice and snow storm outside after being 70 degrees out last weekend. So I did some polishing. Toothpaste worked wonders on the a pillars.

Attachments

• image-3102379590.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 260
Started ripping the front end out this week. It actually is acting like it wants to come out which is a bonus. The car originally had KH Disc brakes on it but he ditched those for drums in 1985, but for some reason he had 9" put on front even though the rears are 10". Its getting disc brakes again but I am using a bracket designed by my father in law who was a Chrysler engineer, which should be getting water jetted in the next few weeks. Going to be powder coating front end pieces before they go back. If you have had pieces powder coated do you ask them to leave threaded portions alone? Planning on powder coating strut rods, upper and lower control arms.

Attachments

• image-1261527438.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 223
  • image-2932758272.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 220
-
Back