Status
Not open for further replies.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Contact seller
The 68 GTS I sold at spring fling is back on the market

Needs restored but nice car for the price nearly 99% rust free and all original numbers matching car with power steering, AC, PB,

Better not think long if you like it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/2737585001.html

Attachments

• 68 Dart GTS 003 (Small).jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,463
  • 68 Dart GTS 011.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 68 Dart GTS 018.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,472
  • 68 Dart GTS 027.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,474
thats the problem even with a car that stock,the resto cost will kill you if you dont paint and body yourself, were in socal did you find it?

thats the problem even with a car that stock,the resto cost will kill you if you dont paint and body yourself, were in socal did you find it?

Picked it up in Palm Desert really wanted to get it running and just drive it as is for a while. I went through the fuel system and the brakes. I did drive it for a couple weeks to work and back about 6 miles a day but it had a cylinder with low compression so I decided to just take it to spring fling to see if there was any interest in it. I could of sold it 4 times at spring fling. Car has nice build sheet fender tag it's all there.

i think it was priced for 8500 at the fling,still a nice car but in todays market if you can afford a done one thats the way to go,i was born and raised in socal and i own 5 gts cars now dont remember that one but then again i remember a lot of swinger 340s and not a lot of gts cars.

Wasn't it priced less than this at Fling?

It was priced as Andy remembers and I wouldn't have taken a dollar less. So I guess what I'm saying after picking up and storing the car. I don't see the new owner as flipping it to really make money or at least not much.

i think it was priced for 8500 at the fling,still a nice car but in todays market if you can afford a done one thats the way to go,i was born and raised in socal and i own 5 gts cars now dont remember that one but then again i remember a lot of swinger 340s and not a lot of gts cars.

I agree but there is something to be said for a car with a known history back to the original owner and being 95% unmolested is a huge score. IMO Other than say plug wires, hoses. exhaust, and a missing gts emblem for the drivers seat. I would say this car is nearly 100% as it was sold in late 1967. I would probably bet money the engine has never been bored.

Yes, I agree....pretty awesome. Just don't know if you'd be upside down on it after you did the whole 9-yard resto on it. Aren't mint GTS's going for around $20~$24K? It IS nice knowing it started out with such a virgin car though.

Well, it's still for sale.

IMHO, it show's it was price right to sell at Spring Fling.

Sometimes it may seem you could sell something many times over, but if priced just a little more it will not move very fast.

Well, it's still for sale.

IMHO, it show's it was price right to sell at Spring Fling.

Sometimes it may seem you could sell something many times over, but if priced just a little more it will not move very fast.

You might be right. But it's not like he is pulling out all the stops to sell it. I have only seen it on craigslist for less than a week. I think it would do well on ebay and/or moparts. Haven't checked but I think somebody would of mentioned if it was advertised in either of those places. I really believe a properly restored GTS with the correct parts will pull in good money $35,000 plus with good documentation and quality work even in this crappy economy.

We all talk about low values me included, but really at the end of the day I do not see many good examples of GTS cars available in the $20,000 to $25,000 range. The ones I see usually lack correct parts, build sheets, and fender tags. IMO the 1968 cars you need the build sheet to authenticate the car options. Since the fender tag only ties the car to the sales order number not the vin number. Is that correct thinking on my part? To match a fender tag to a 1968 model year car you need to match the S.O. on the fender tag to a build sheet (broadcast sheet) or an original window sticker.

Then when we go the other way to the project cars. You can buy either a rust bucket or a car missing so many parts you only know its a GTS by the vin#. lol... Then they still want $4,500 or more for that car in that condition because it has a GTS hood without inserts. lol...

Please don't take this wrong but you have to ask yourself this,can you come up with $9000 cash right now to purchase a project car?And then you need $$$ to go forward with the car.I am not knocking the car as I think its a sweet car but as a guy who owns a real 68gts,one that I offered up for sale and got slammed by every cheap MFer on the face of this earth.Its a tough sell this time of year(holidays)and throw the economy in with that,well that leaves very few potential buyers that can actually afford it.I wish the best to the seller.

Restoring almost any car these days will put you upsidedown. Either you'll have a ton of hours in it, IF you do all the work OR you'll have a ton of money in somebody else's labor. By the time every detail is attended to, the parts may add up to what this car would be worth.

A 68 NEEDS the broadcast sheet to authenticate. My GTS has real nice documentation (two broadcast sheet, fender tag, original owner's manual with date of purchase and original owner's name). The only knock on mine is the original engine has been gone since around 1980, but being such an early SPD (8/28/67) it may not have had the VIN stamped anyway.

Moparclown .... is correct ... Unfortnately ... in this economy it is hard to sell a vehicle needing resto.... if you were not doing body work ... have you seen price of body work....
NOW if it was a NON-AC car and 4 speed ... i think it would be an easier sell ..
BUT STILL ... not knocking car and i hope you get asking price .... NICE car ....

Moparclown .... is correct ... Unfortnately ... in this economy it is hard to sell a vehicle needing resto.... if you were not doing body work ... have you seen price of body work....
NOW if it was a NON-AC car and 4 speed ... i think it would be an easier sell ..
BUT STILL ... not knocking car and i hope you get asking price .... NICE car ....

I mostly agree but also think these stock type cars, especially the GTS and Formula S cars restored or not will still bring in the money. I also think the 4 speed has a bigger draw like you said. But I know for me personally I'm 42. The auto with the AC and power options make it very attractive to me and possible others that are over doing the shifting and might want to actually do some real enjoyable driving with the family.:D

Bingo.....it's also a (removed) vinyl top car as well. I haven't seen it personally though (yet...heh heh).

You might be right. But it's not like he is pulling out all the stops to sell it. I have only seen it on craigslist for less than a week. I think it would do well on ebay and/or moparts. Haven't checked but I think somebody would of mentioned if it was advertised in either of those places. I really believe a properly restored GTS with the correct parts will pull in good money $35,000 plus with good documentation and quality work even in this crappy economy.

We all talk about low values me included, but really at the end of the day I do not see many good examples of GTS cars available in the $20,000 to $25,000 range. The ones I see usually lack correct parts, build sheets, and fender tags. IMO the 1968 cars you need the build sheet to authenticate the car options. Since the fender tag only ties the car to the sales order number not the vin number. Is that correct thinking on my part? To match a fender tag to a 1968 model year car you need to match the S.O. on the fender tag to a build sheet (broadcast sheet) or an original window sticker.

Then when we go the other way to the project cars. You can buy either a rust bucket or a car missing so many parts you only know its a GTS by the vin#. lol... Then they still want $4,500 or more for that car in that condition because it has a GTS hood without inserts. lol...

But I think certain cars top out at a point no matter what you throw at them.

I just don't see a 68 340 GTS Auto A/C burgundy/black car getting to $35K right now. To approach that it would need to be factory primer painted underside with over spray from side. EVERYTHING gone through, no corners cut. Carefully cleaning and disassembly that documents factory inspection marks and then recreating those marks upon restoration.

The thing that will seperate that kind of upper eschelon fresh restoration is knowledge and attention to detail more than money. This level of car could go to Nationals, Spring Fling, etc and competitively place in a judged class.

I rarely see A-bodies done to this level.

Zhandfull .... 42 old ?...... i am 47 and after owning my 4 speed swinger ... i want nothing to do with auto anymore .... The rush of trying to get the correct rpm to shift gears ...
Z unless it has to be sold now ... wait till spring... seems like "original" 340 cars are the in last year or so...

I believe that it was sold today,not sure of the price but even good quility project cars will sell and as an added bonus you can drive it around and enjoy as is.I have 5 69 gts cars and only 2 are restored right now so i threw all my spare parts together to put 1 of my 383 cars on the road sure it needs paint and some interior work but i can know drive and enjoy it,not every car needs a show car resto and i believe the new owner is going to dive this car for long time before it gets a resto and thats whats good about driving project cars with good sheetmetal.

Attachments

• 69383 auto.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 865
  • gts11.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 834
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back