Legendary Member
Reaction score
1968 Match Race

'383 Road Runner'
383/335 HP

versus

'Cutlass Ram-Rod'
350/325 HP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 68' 383 Road Runner was highly marketed as a low-budget
'Econo-Racer'.

Less the 'bells-and-whistles', a new 383/335 HP 'Road Runner Engine'
was put in the light Belvedere.

With a few graphics, and a non-functional vented style Power-Bulge Hood,
the Road Runner was a bare-bones low-priced Street Performer.

On the other side, the 1968 Cutlass 'Ram-Rod' was a little known
'performance car' offered up as a less costly version of the Oldsmobile
4-4-2.

Did the 383 perform poorly against this one to?

At the Drag Strip, the Cutlass 4-Speed {#3271 lbs.} devoured the Road Runner 4-Speed {#3422 lbs.} in E/Stock.
{Shipping Weight}

It wasn't even close...........

'No Frills', as both cars were marketed as 'low-priced' Econo-Racers.

1968_road_runner_overview.jpg

th

I would say the Olds had the 383 beat on tourque & was lighter wieght.
The 383 would have needed to be spooled up.

Frank,

This is no knock on the 383 Road Runner,

1968 Cutlass 'Ram Rod' Coupe {674 built}
350/325 HP
4-Speed {Only}
Shipping Weight #3271 lbs.
Weight-to-Horsepower {10.06} = 1968 NHRA Class = E/Stock

* 11.0-1 Compression Ratio {Flat-Top Pistons}
* Special #5 Casting High-Flow Rate Cylinder Heads {#397742}
* 2.00" Intake Valve ~ 1.63" Exhaust Valve
* 60.6 CC {Minimum Combustion Chamber} {64 CC from Factory}
* Hydraulic Camshaft {Part #402194} {.474" Lift ~ 308* Duration ~ 86* Overlap}
* High-Load Rate Valve Springs
* Rochester MV Carburetor {800 CFM} 'specially calibrated'
* 'OAI' Outside Air Induction {Under Front Bumper Fresh-Air Vent Scoops}
* Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner

* 3.91 or 4.33 Gears
* M-20 {Wide-Ratio} of M-21 {Close-Ratio} Transmission

* Special Calibrated Single-Point Distributor
* Special Large Harmonic Balancer
* Heavy-Duty Radiator
* 6-Blade Fan
* Fan-Clutch

Specialty Items
Engine Internals {Rods and Pistons} were 'Select A' components.
Cylinder Walls {hand-honed} for additional Piston Skirt clearance {.003" to .0035"}
Plastic Inner Fenderwells {weight savings}
Manual Brakes 'only'
Exhaust Piping {2 1/4" Primary ~ 2" Secondary}

if only those olds werent so ugly! thats probably why they didnt catch on lol

Good work gentleman,

Not too many knew about the 1968 Cutlass 'Ram Rod' 350/325 HP, as
it was a real high-rev sleeper.

The 1968 Cutlass 'Ram Rod' was #239 lbs. lighter than the Oldsmobile '4-4-2' {400/350 HP}

The 350 could pull up to 6000 PM's without a problem.

Came out in mid-year {January 1968}.

Small Combustion Chamber, Big-Valve Cylinder Heads, with a long Duration Camshaft.

To bad Chrysler sat on there hands and never really "tuned up" the 340 to compete
Against other hot sb.

I would say the Olds had the 383 beat on tourque & was lighter wieght.
The 383 would have needed to be spooled up.
apparently you haven't been around many 383s or that thing wasn't running on all 8 back in the day that 383 would have packed his lunch unwrapped it and been there waiting to feed it to him.an I don't care what was dun to that 455 :finga::finga: them I was there to whuch man were they a joke it happen............:thumblef:........Artie

To bad Chrysler sat on there hands and never really "tuned up" the 340 to compete
Against other hot sb.
and I can see you were just born to........................get your history books out kids.................................just another:newb::newb::violent1::violent1::burnout:..Artie

You guys think that Olds is ugly? Looks pretty good to me, not much different than a Chevelle, Skylark or GTO of that era and I like all of those too.

Even looks a bit like a Duster if you squint

Against other hot sb.

I don't get it. The 340 had pretty much everything that that Olds motor had, plus special swoopy exhaust manifolds which the Olds didn't. I would like to see what a bone stock '71 340 (with the T-quad and a '68 manual-trans cam) would run against this Olds. Can't see how anyone wouldn't consider the early 340's a top-to-bottom comprehensive factory performance motor.

Or.....were you just trying to stir the pot? :D

How right you are! I was just reading up on this particular Olds and it was one comprehensive and wicked package for a small block!! I'll never understand why they weren't more popular......

I knew about the 350-powered Ram Rods back then because I was a big-time Olds fan until I got my 340 Dart Swinger in 1969.
IMO, the reason the Ram Rod wasn't more popular was because the factory was pushing the 442 so hard as the "performance Olds". 1968 was also the initial offering of the Hurst Olds package and all of those were big-block 455s. Big blocks were the popular items being pushed for performance by each of the Big 3 back then:
  • 396 Chevelles and Camaros, Buick GS Stage 1, Royal Pontiac's 428/Royal Bobcat GTO, 455 Hurst Olds
  • 1968 was the first year for the 428 Cobra Jet Mustang and Torino, and the Shelby GT500KR ("King of the Road"). Also, don't forget Lt. Frank Bullitt's 390-powered Mustang GT.
  • Mother Mopar's 383 Road Runner, Mr. Norm's 440 GSS Dart, and the availability of the 426 Street Hemi starting in 1966
If you wanted to project your drag-racing vibe to the street, you had to have a big block.
But I sure had fun beating up on a lot of those heavier big-block powered cars on the street back then with my quick-revving lighter 340 Dart.

My dad had a 68 442 400 4 speed and with tires it ran mid to high 13s. Thats because it was always busting up at higher rpm.When he changed the carb to a holley and added stiffer valve springs the busting up quit.Ran 13.10s thru headers and cherry bombs.

The 327 cid L79 was rated at 350 horsepower at 5,800 rpm and 360 Ib-fl of torque at 3,600 rpm. The cast iron block used a forged steel crank and rods, aluminum forged pistons with 11.0:1 compression and hydraulic lifters. The L79 boasted "double hump" big valve heads (2.02inch intake and 1.6-inch exhaust) and a high-lift camshaft with .447 lift. A Holley 600 cfm carburetor mounted on a dualplane, high-rise aluminum intake manifold was part of the engine package, along with a chrome twin-snorkel air cleaner that matched the shiny valve covers and oil filler cap. Standard gearbox was the threespeed manual transmission, with a wide ratio M20 or close ratio M21 four-speed manual transmission optional. A variety of rear axle ratios were offered, with 3.31:1 gearing standard in a 12-bolt differential.

Bolted into the 3,100-pound Nova body, the L79 provided a great power-to-weight bargain that, in stock condition, resulted in 0-60 times of 7.2 seconds and quarter-mile performance at 15.1 seconds at 93 mph as tested by Car Life magazine in their May 1966 issue. With some minor tuning, headers and slicks, the L79 Nova could easily go into the high 13s.

Musclecar buyers found the L79 SS Nova to be an attractive alternative to larger, more costly performance cars. Chevrolet's records indicate 20,986 SS Novas (4,675 I-6 and 16,311 V8) were sold in 1966. Of that total, 5,481 were equipped with RPO L79, and 3,547 of them were installed in two-door SS models. The L79 wasn't limited to just the SS option; approximately 200 L79-equipped 100 series Nova two-door sedans were also produced.

Chevrolet L84 fuel injected 327
For years, the Corvette was the proving ground for leading-edge small-block V-8 development. It culminated with the L84 fuel-injected 327, available from 1962-1965. Rated at 360hp in 1962 and '63, and 375hp thereafter, the L84 was not for the casual buyer, thanks to an 11.25:1 compression ratio and solid lifter cam. The Rochester fuel injection system was also costly and cranky, but when in proper tune, turned the Corvette Sting Ray into a world-class sports car.
1968 Oldsmobile W-31 350
The 1968 W-31 "Ram Rod" Olds was essentially a factory-built race car, available to anyone who knew how to navigate a Cutlass order form. Rated at 325hp but producing closer to 360hp, the hot 350 was assembled using hand-selected parts. The cylinder heads were sent to an outside company for installation of larger valves and special valve springs, and the engines were then dyno tested to ensure promised horsepower was delivered. Once installed, the W-31 engine was hooked to a cold air induction set-up to maximize engine breathing. The W-31 option continued for a few more years, still employing the heavy-duty parts, although later editions did not receive the special hand-built attention of the 1968 versions. The '68 W-31 proved to be the hottest small-displacement Olds engine of all.
1967-69 Chevrolet 302
Although Chevrolet wasn't officially involved in racing in the late 1960s, there were still key employees inside the company who didn't want to see their cars embarrassed at the race track, and they found ways to make sure it didn't happen. The original Z/28 Camaro is the best example of this. To compete effectively against the Mustangs, Cougars and Barracudas in the SCCA's Trans Am racing series, Chevrolet needed a compact coupe that handled well and cranked out as much power as possible from the SCCA's displacement limit of 5.0 liters.

Chevy created a 302ci small-block exclusive to the Z/28 by combining a 327 block with a 283 crankshaft. The 302 was stuffed with parts aimed at racers – forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods, TRW pistons, solid-lifter cam with 0.485-inch lift, large 2.02 inch intake valves with 1.60-inch exhaust valves, a windage tray, and an 800cfm Holley four-barrel on an aluminum high-rise intake manifold. The compression ratio was a stout 11.0:1.

For a company not officially involved in racing, it all worked out remarkable well on track. Z/28s piloted by Mark Donohue won Trans Am championships in 1968 and 1969. On the street, the 302 helped establish the Z/28 as one of the most enduring nameplates in musclecar history.
1970 Chevrolet LT-1 350
Granted, the performance tricks employed to create the LT-1 350 were well-established by the time 1970 rolled around, but combined with 350 cubic inches of displacement, and dropped in the new Z/28 Camaro and the still-fresh 1970 Corvette, these tried-and-true methods resulted in one of the best small-block powerplants of all time. The LT-1 came with four-bolt main caps, a forged crankshaft and connecting rods, aluminum TRW pistons, an 11.0:1 compression ratio, solid-lifter cam, 780cfm Holley 4-barrel on a highrise aluminum intake manifold, and 2.5-inch exhaust pipes.

As with most serious performance engines, you could forget about air conditioning - it wasn't an option that first year. In 1970, the LT-1 was rated at 370hp in the Corvette, and 360hp in the Z/28 Camaro. The LT-1 continued for a couple more seasons, hobbled somewhat by lower compression, but it was still the most potent small-block Chevy of its time.
1971 Ford Boss 351
The Boss 351 was Ford's last great powerplant of the original musclecar era. Ford maximized the big-port 351 Cleveland's abilities with an 11.0:1 compression ratio, forged pop-up pistons, solid lifters and a 750cfm Autolite four-barrel carburetor. The block was a sturdy four-bolt main unit, and the engine was teamed with the necessary heavy-duty gear, such as a Traction-Lok differential, heavy-duty radiator, ram air induction and competition suspension. Magazine road tests of the time routinely recorded high 13-second ETs. Thanks to encroaching emission control regulations the Boss 351 was a one-year wonder, but what a year.

Easy does it,

In 'NHRA Stock Class' 'only' {4-Speed}

The 68' Cutlass 'Ram-Rod' 350/325 HP was the dominant car in E/Stock {1968} and F/Stock {1969}.

They did a number on the 'Mopar' 4-Speed 340 Barracuda/Darts and 383 Road Runner/Super Bee's.

Automatic, whole different story.

The 68' Cutlass 'Ram Rod' was a 4-Speed Only car.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

1968 Production Numbers

F-85 / Cutlass / Cutlass-S / 4-4-2 .......{36,642}

Cutlass 'Ram-Rod'.................................'674'

I don't get it. The 340 had pretty much everything that that Olds motor had, plus special swoopy exhaust manifolds which the Olds didn't. I would like to see what a bone stock '71 340 (with the T-quad and a '68 manual-trans cam) would run against this Olds. Can't see how anyone wouldn't consider the early 340's a top-to-bottom comprehensive factory performance motor.

Or.....were you just trying to stir the pot? :D

It is a good true factory performance engine, but wish they would have used a solid cam and aluminum 4 bbl intake holley carb on the pre 71's etc.
I have been in a l79 vette, a 70 lt1 Z28 and even been lucky to get a ride in a boss 351, they were all faster than any of the stock 340 cars I have been in or owned.

It cracks me up how defensive some of you guys get over the solid clear cut facts! Just because you despise anything non mopar doesn't mean that they weren't clearly sticking it to mopar as a whole! Mopar was behind the mark when it came to maximizing the potential of all of their performance engines. There was a lot more meat on the bone when it came to cam profiles etc that GM and ford were experimenting with. I understand some of you guys get real defensive over your brand, which I in turn am a big fan of, but its blatantly obvious that mopar was lacking in areas that could have been improved easily that would have had a HUGE impact in the horsepower wars on the street and at the track. An 11.0-1 340 with better valve train and exhaust manifolds in a light A body would have spanked the L79 nova which was an underrated monster in its own right. JMO

So there were 327/350 4 door non ss novas built?

This no knock on Mopars, as I was born with Mopar Blood in my system.

And we 'only raced' Mopars, as my father dealt with the factory in the 'real'
Stocker - Super/Stock Days {1967 thru 1974}.

Mopar did play with around with a 'radical' 340 in December 1967 to run in
SS/F or D/Stock against the 68' Chevy Camaro 302 Z-28's.

But Chrysler Racing was under a strict operating budget, and Specialty Production Planning
could not develop any other 'optional' engine Musclecars.

For instance, the 383/335 HP {Road Runner Engine/383 Magnum} was ridiculously
over-rated, and Mopar knew it. The 68' Road Runner and Super Bee with the 383/335 HP
engine combination was strictly an advertising gimmick, that worked.

Those in the know new all too well, especially Sox & Martin and Dick Landy who
both refused to fully prepare and race 1968 383 cars {Road Runner and Super Bee}
in E/S and E/SA respectively.

It's just sad that their potential was so stifled by the corporation. Unlike GM that had programs like COPO, imagine the cool **** that chrysler could have scraped together like Hemi swingers or max wedge darts or 440 six PAC A bodies? The potential was there just never even attempted to see what could have happened. Sad.

-
Back