-
Carter AVS Carburetors

Primary ........ 1 7/16"
Secondary .... 1 11/16"
CFM Rating .... 630

Primary ........ 1 11/16"
Secondary .... 1 11/16"
CFM Rating ..... 750

Cool thanks for that info... fwiw i'd also give the 440 the nod they just make so much more torque everywhere with that extra .375" of stroke.

Mopar 383

Carburetors

Carter AVS {630 CFM} vs. Holley {780 CFM}

The Holley was worth a good {+15} Horsepower @ 5000 RPM's in the Mopar 383.

I'll go with the 440. I know I will offend someone but I spent a lot of time at the track mostly Mopar and nostalgia races and I've never came across a fast 383. Internet people can try to blow my mind with their super fast 383 combinations but I've never seen it in person. Stock for stock my 340 Challenger spanked the hell out my brothers 383 charger. After I drove his car I thought 383's were crap. Too much weight for the the displacement.

I'll go with the 440. I know I will offend someone but I spent a lot of time at the track mostly Mopar and nostalgia races and I've never came across a fast 383. Internet people can try to blow my mind with their super fast 383 combinations but I've never seen it in person. Stock for stock my 340 Challenger spanked the hell out my brothers 383 charger. After I drove his car I thought 383's were crap. Too much weight for the the displacement.

Damn Accurate Analysis

I think the correct term for a Mopar 383 High-Performance would be >

A Durable Street-Performer, but far from a 'Street Dominator'.

Question I have is, I have a 71 Dodge Demon 340 & they say that the screamin little 340 will give the big block boys a run for their money with the power to weight ratio.
They reckon the 340 was a small block that thought it was a big block that's how good the motor was.
Personally this is the first 340 I've owned & I'm bloody impressed with it.

Question I have is, I have a 71 Dodge Demon 340 & they say that the screamin little 340 will give the big block boys a run for their money with the power to weight ratio.
They reckon the 340 was a small block that thought it was a big block that's how good the motor was.

Back in the day, we called them "Giant Killers". There was a reason for that. :burnout:

Yes, they were 'Street Screamers', even in Stock Trim.

My mother bought a 'new' Duster 340 {Bench Seat} 4-Speed, w/3.55 Gears back in February 1970 for $3100.

She would zip past the 'street' Road Runner and Super Bee 383's anytime that she wanted.

Nick - Nack

1968 had '3' different Horsepower Ratings for the 4-Barrel Engines.

383/300 HP ........ Plymouth Barracuda and Dodge Dart GTS

383/330 HP ........ Plymouth and Dodge 'B-Body' and Big-Body cars.

383/335 HP ........ Plymouth Road Runner and Dodge Super Bee 'only'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closer related {True} Horsepower Output

383/300 HP ....... 277 HP

383/330 HP ....... 283 HP

383/335 HP ....... 305 HP

Funny, I never came across a 340 I couldn't beat. but I don't run stock.

Funny, I never came across a 340 I couldn't beat. but I don't run stock.

Back-In-The-Day,

Never saw a 383 Road Runner or Super Bee do anything in Super Stock.

In the early 1970's > And classed in 'SS/I and S/IA' > They were hammered
by the 340's. Just hammered.

In 1969 >

Ronnie Sox was asked why the Sox & Martin Team didn't run a 383 Road Runner.

"We do. It is our Shop Car that we use to go get Coffee and Parts."

Back-In-The-Day,

Never saw a 383 Road Runner or Super Bee do anything in Super Stock.

In the early 1970's > And classed in 'SS/I and S/IA' > They were hammered
by the 340's. Just hammered.

In 1969 >

Ronnie Sox was asked why the Sox & Martin Team didn't run a 383 Road Runner.

"We do. It is our Shop Car that we use to go get Coffee and Parts."

Pretty much, sums it up... Unless a set of really reworked heads,deep gear( 4:30-456 -ish..) ,I like a solid camshaft here, getting up there then..…) Or possibly a custom ground Crower/Racer Brown /Clay Smith hydraulic ,with minimal lift..(. 480" ,or under lift, deep duration.. & matching springs...). & a talented driver.. That makes ,good numbers, & people paid attention..

My buddy's 70 N96 383, 4 speed, 3.91,
8 3/4, pinion snubber, purple stripe (28X/4XX) cam, aluminum intake, Holley 4bbl, headers was a consistent, reliable contender in the cruising around, having fun, "sure, let's go see if your car is faster" occasional street race scene in New Orleans. He was running mid 13s, but it was consistent, and looked and ran great in the hot summer months when the cruising scene was at its peak.
Funny thing was when he would slam that pistol grip into 2nd gear, that would shake the car just enough to make the left turn signal come on from the weight of the metal turn signal lever and it being worn from use/age.

Pretty much, sums it up... Unless a set of really reworked heads,deep gear( 4:30-456 -ish..) ,I like a solid camshaft here, getting up there then..…) Or possibly a custom ground Crower/Racer Brown /Clay Smith hydraulic ,with minimal lift..(. 480" ,or under lift, deep duration.. & matching springs...). & a talented driver.. That makes ,good numbers, & people paid attention..
I miss this guy. I wish someone would replace his avatar with the old yellow coupe one.
The current nerdy one is not the way to remember the Bomber.

I remember that episode of the twilight zone.
So do I.
It was one of their best episodes in my opinion.
It was about a guy who was obsessed with reading books.
You'll all have to look it up and see how it turns out, i won't spoil it for you............

Welcome Biomed.
Thanks buddy!
A member here, mosleyme, is what has a B-Body guy trolling the A-Body forum.
He sent his Weiand P3690982 6bbl crossram intake to F&B for conversion to a 3x2 throttle body DPI EFI conversion, and the damn thing has me dreaming about that setup for my 70 V-code Roadrunner. I have a line on a Weiand 6bbl intake, but there are other things I should be spending that money on for my Roadrunner, like brakes and installing a QA1 K-member and front suspension system I bought last November...
Still, if I can get the intake, I may play around with it with my 3x2 Promax modded Holley carbs for now.
moselyme seems to have had that setup on a stroker motor since 2014 but hasn't run the car yet, which is a very nice late 60s Barracuda that had just been painted in 2014. I'm having conversations with him, but I'm craving info on how the EFI system works with that manifold.

-
Back