1968 paint single stage?

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 68 barracuda with origanal paint. First off is it single stage? second i want to blow in a few spots. What is a good paint to use to do this job. Does ppg make a paint for this. And would i need a primer. i just need to make ar last a few yeara untill i can pay for a good paint job. thanks

Yes, the original paint is single stage. Acrylic enamel I believe.

Now what you are talking about is doing blends on a 40 year old single stage. I paint but that's beyond my knowledge level. When I have asked this very same question to long time painters, they told me to just repaint the car because it will never look right. lol

Like i said. Full paint not in budget. Thanks

Just clear the whole car and save the Patina. They triple there value in Texas when this is done. As said by the professionals it took since 1968 to get that look why ruin it. The money you save on paint you can put into air ride. You will then be able to do doughnuts in the dirt. You need to Watch Fast-n-Loud

Even if you had the exact same paint, which I think may be laquer (you can take some laquer thinner and rub a bit under your rocker or other discreet area to see if any color comes off) you would never be able to match the color fade. If you're not down to bare metal you won't need primer, just scuff it and spray

If it is laquer, newer paints have had issues with bonding but this is just a bandaid temp solution anyway so I wouldn;t worry about it

Hey guys i have a 68 barracuda with origanal paint. First off is it single stage? second i want to blow in a few spots. What is a good paint to use to do this job. Does ppg make a paint for this. And would i need a primer. i just need to make ar last a few yeara untill i can pay for a good paint job. thanks

Darren,

You car has a single stage "Thermal Set Enamel " paint on it. Not an acrylic enamel such as the aftermarket or refinish paints. The TSE paint won't dry unless it receives a sufficient cure (prescribed bake time @ a prescribed temperature).

You can use an acrylic enamel to refinish the vehicle if you wish. I suggest you use a top brand paint as they last much longer than the cheaper brands. PPG, Dupont, or BASF will be your best brands to use..

PM me if you have any more questions I would be glad to answer them for you.

sscuda
:glasses7:

Even if you had the exact same paint, which I think may be laquer (you can take some laquer thinner and rub a bit under your rocker or other discreet area to see if any color comes off) you would never be able to match the color fade. If you're not down to bare metal you won't need primer, just scuff it and spray

If it is laquer, newer paints have had issues with bonding but this is just a bandaid temp solution anyway so I wouldn;t worry about it

Rob,

GM was the only OEM to use "Thermal Set Lacquers" in the 60"s 70's and early 80's. Ford and Chrysler used TSE's from the 40's on up to mid eighties.

Yes, matching a faded colour is a stretch. Compounding the entire vehicle will help but it can be done if you have a good painter with an eye for colour matching.

A complete paint is the easiest route.

Rob,

GM was the only OEM to use "Thermal Set Lacquers" in the 60"s 70's and early 80's. Ford and Chrysler used TSE's from the 40's on up to mid eighties.

Yes, matching a faded colour is a stretch. Compounding the entire vehicle will help but it can be done if you have a good painter with an eye for colour matching.

A complete paint is the easiest route.

That's very interesting and good to know, I painted an older Camaro a while back and it was laquer, thermal set laquer apparently. Interesting that the different companies used different paints.

Darren,

You car has a single stage "Thermal Set Enamel " paint on it. Not an acrylic enamel such as the aftermarket or refinish paints. The TSE paint won't dry unless it receives a sufficient cure (prescribed bake time @ a prescribed temperature).

You can use an acrylic enamel to refinish the vehicle if you wish. I suggest you use a top brand paint as they last much longer than the cheaper brands. PPG, Dupont, or BASF will be your best brands to use..

PM me if you have any more questions I would be glad to answer them for you.

sscuda
Thanks Rob i will cotact you if i go that route. Darren

Just clear the whole car and save the Patina. They triple there value in Texas when this is done. As said by the professionals it took since 1968 to get that look why ruin it. The money you save on paint you can put into air ride. You will then be able to do doughnuts in the dirt. You need to Watch Fast-n-Loud

I love the show fast n load. They did that dodge truck with just the clear. My car is a 68 barracuda formula s 383 4 speed. It came from california. All matching numbers. One day i want leave it. the next day i want to paint the car. Cant make up my mind. My last car i just sold was a 68 dart with mint paint. so it is hard to drive around a car with 40 year old paint after owning the dart. thanks

That's very interesting and good to know, I painted an older Camaro a while back and it was laquer, thermal set laquer apparently. Interesting that the different companies used different paints.

GM used that **** because it flowed out so well in the bake cycle. Their finishes were consistently better than anyone else`s.

If I recall the GM St. Therese plant and GM Saltiilo, MX plant were the last to convert from the old lacquer system. Both plants jumped to low solids polyester BC- CC systems. (similar to the BASF Diamont)

Man, that crap gave my in-plant tech service guys fits and me too. If the final finish repairs (repaints) weren`t baked properly the stuff hazed over within hours. It also created field problems as well.

That`s it for the history lesson. :cheers:

I love the show fast n load. They did that dodge truck with just the clear. My car is a 68 barracuda formula s 383 4 speed. It came from california. All matching numbers. One day i want leave it. the next day i want to paint the car. Cant make up my mind. My last car i just sold was a 68 dart with mint paint. so it is hard to drive around a car with 40 year old paint after owning the dart. thanks

Darren,

If you choose to do a repaint I suggest you check out Boot Hill Restorations in Erin, ON. Of all the aftermarket paint and body shops I`ve been in they are by far the best I`ve seen. If I was to ever let anyone paint a car for me it would be them. They run a first class operation, no corners are cut. FYI - They are not cheap either.

Good luck with your car.

sscuda

-
Back