1968 SS Dart in progress

-
Sweet ride. I went the easy way and bought my 69 440'car 90% done. It's a blast to mash the gas and go.
Thanks a bunch Stephenf. Do you have a thread? I would love to check out your car :) I posted some new pics of my current cooling system and I was able to use a factory B body fan shroud. Looks factory. I am really happy with the cooling and the looks of it :)

SAM_0767.JPG

SAM_0768.JPG

20151017_135959.jpg

132068dodge,
I've been following your thread for a couple years now, and I've started my on lo23 project. I've got a question on how the outer wheel well is attached to the radiused quarter panel? Thanks.

132068dodge,
I've been following your thread for a couple years now, and I've started my on lo23 project. I've got a question on how the outer wheel well is attached to the radiused quarter panel? Thanks.
Hello Ishore. You need to bend a 4 foot long by 2 1/2" piece of 16 gauge steel to 90* and use a shrinker/stretcher to form the inner wheel lip of the outer quarter skin. That will provide rigidity and the necessary surface area to weld the inner wheel well to. When you initially create your cutout, leave approximately 2-3" of inner wheel housing overlap to provide enough material to heat and bend and finally weld to the lip you created and welded to the inside of the quarter panel. Another option is to do it exactly like the factory did (if you are going for an absolutely authentic cosmetic recreation) and create the inner fender lip structure solely from the inner wheel well and bash the outer quarter skin over that. It looks crude and imperfect but that is how they did it at Hurst. Attached is a picture of the crude way from an actual LO23 car in the shop for a ground up restoration.

20160709_120048.jpg

-
Back