1968 vs 1969, 1970 dart values

-

Hwy145

Reaction score
i apologize if this has been discussed, but as I look for my dream dart, I’m curious as to why Hagerty values the 1968 so much lower than later years.
According to Hagerty, a 383 equipped ‘68 Dart has less value than a comparable 1969, or even ‘70 340 swinger.
I’m just curious to know what I’m “missing.”
Thanks in advance...

I've had all three and now own a 69 SB Dart. My advice is if your looking to buy, get the one YOU like the best.

I've had all three and now own a 69 SB Dart. My advice is if your looking to buy, get the one YOU like the best.
Thanks for the response. This is my problem-
1968 is my favorite, by far. I’ve found the right color, engine, transmission, and condition. It’s everything I want. I would guess it’s a high number 2 car. They are asking quite a bit above number 1 condition, according to Hagerty, which it typical on the internet. I’m sure there is wiggle room, but I don’t want to insult them by bringing up Hagerty’s numbers. I’m not buying for investment, and I don’t mind paying a premium for the right car.

1968 is my favorite, by far. I’ve found the right color, engine, transmission, and condition. It’s everything I want. I would guess it’s a high number 2 car. They are asking quite a bit above number 1 condition, according to Hagerty, which it typical on the internet. I’m sure there is wiggle room, but I don’t want to insult them by bringing up Hagerty’s numbers. I’m not buying for investment, and I don’t mind paying a premium for the right car.
Then do it. As long as you won't kick yourself in the future for paying too much. I paid more than I should have for my 70 Swinger but when I sell it the loss will just be the cost of having years of fun and enjoyment. That can and does come at a price.

That is one sweet 70 swinger though. If that happens to be the Blue one you had at Mopars in the Park this year.

Definitely worth a premium, and will bring top dollar when you ever part with it. When building them you can easily put more money in the cars than they are worth too. Worth lots to have a car you can turn key, Go, and Enjoy.

One Mint Car . . .

I find as the baby boomer are done with toys as they are now (classic cars, harleys etc) the values just aren't there. Buy a car for a reasonable price, that you love and not as a investment

Be ready to walk away! IMHO

I like 69's more than 68's or 70's. Having said that, the 68 is MUCH more expensive to rebuild due to one year only parts and the Hagerty values don't make sense in that regard. They just use what real sales have been made to make their values...

Haggerty values the 69 GTS at $47,500 max. That's for #1 Concourse condition. I surpassed that value, and mine is not concourse.
So, I'm a firm believer in getting what you like and enjoy making it what you want.

If my 4 month search helps...I think you need to ask yourself ONE question; Do I want to buy a car that I can't tinker with for fear of losing value or one that I can mod into something I really want but don't want to pay someone else to build?

Once you have that answer, you know which market to play in and can shop accordingly. As far as "insulting" on offers, if you do your diligence in the market and make a reasonable offer the worse someone can say is no. There are two types of sellers...."make me sell" and "I have to sell". Find out who you are dealing with.

Good luck and remember, the chase is part of the fun...no reason not to enjoy it!!

i could never own a car that was too nice...i can even keep a white T-shirt clean more than 10 min

Go after the year of car you want, I prefer 69 dart's, but everyone has there own preference and all that matters , is what you like as the buyer. I see more 69's around here and I've owned 67, 68, 69, and 70's there all great car's, just hold out one will come up. Just be willing to travel, I drove almost 6 hours to get mine, and I never regret it!

may be because of number of vehicles made between the years, you could get a 340 swinger in 69 and had to get a GTS in 68 to get the 340. I also prefer the 68 GTS over the 69. I also believe Hagerty values are too high, I use old cars report price guide. it uses selling prices for a basis and not insurance values.

if you are worried about values, look for rare options on the car with documentation, fender tag and build sheet, like disc brakes, floor console shift, interior light group and for the 68 the center grill piece that is stupid rare. stuff like this will make the car more desirable.

I would have an expert appraiser that specializes in mopars also inspect and verify the car including its condition. I would also NOT pay a premium for the car as I rarely if ever see cars sell at auction for the values posted by the experts or the prices listed in some adds.

-
Back