[FOR SALE] 1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S 4-speed at Barrett Jackson Vegas

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of the bidding crowd and their consumption or not.

The builder did convert a tired S into a presentable ride. Even though many parts are not correct and the desiscion to paint half the inner fenders black is something not usually seen you have to tip your hat to the price they got!

Bet if any of us thought we could get that return we would all be trying.

Well I have been to Barrett Jackson in Orange County and also enjoy watching it on tv between commercials. I will say it's more entertaining than a typical car show. With that said it hard for me not to feel like they use more smoke and mirrors than a Vegas magic show.

The Barracuda, I seen it at spring fling that's about all I will say about it. :D

Agreed!

And the pics of this paticular car were obviosly taken prior to presentation I would assume!

Hey guys - yes, the car wasn't perfect - and was advertised as such in the auction catalog. The ralleye wheels did come on the car - so I kept them on - and painted them black instead of body color because I liked it. The aluminum radiator was taken out and the original re-cored and put back in. Yes the ORIGINAL NUMBERS MATCHING BLOCK was re-sleeved and built to put back in the car - what is wrong with that.... it was done professionally, and is as good as new with a dyno sheet to prove it right at stock specs. The interior does have a ton of original parts - I didn't post pics cause I simply didn't have time. The inner fenders were cut by the P.O. to clear headers that were on the car. I went to great lengths to find original manifolds.

The larger question here is why do some think that a $43k hammer price is bad for the hobby? Everyone who has this car just got a bump in value of theirs. These are under-appreciated cars as you all know - and they will rise in value more over time. There were some other very original mopars there that should have gotten more and didn't - look at the results.... someone stole the Mr. Norms Demon, and I watched a 11,000 mile roadrunner with a fresh restoration hammer for easy $25k less than it should have.

Also, remember that $43k hammer price has another 8% taken off for me (BJ charges the seller that - then get's 10% on top from the buyer) - Plus a $1500 entry fee, + transport, + the car wasn't registered since '83 so there were DMV fees - + the $18k in parts + a ton of labor. I did not make a ton money on this car - I rescued it and sold it to a guy who's going to have a blast driving it as I did post resto for a while.

My specialty is restomods - but I knew this was a rare car, so I didn't go there. The purists here are lucky I didn't hack it up more!

Let's just all have fun. Cars are cars, people are people - it's all good.

To the guy asking about the inner fender cutting - PO did it, but if you want it done, bring it by and we'll do it (at the risk of bumming out the purists here).

I also sold a 73 dart restomod and lost my *** a bit - but got a ton of TV coverage and my shop mentioned several times on tv - along with thousands of very positive comments on the build quality and paint.

Keep an eye out for the very unpure build I'm about to take on with a '69 roadrunner 383 4 speed. Car is too far gone for restoration, so I look forward to a bunch of pissed off purists - and some really happy restomod fans.

Happy driving.

-Geoff from Alloy Motors

Good response Geoff.

I like to see the values go up. After knowing the true cost of bringing these cars back, I welcome it even though I do not consider selling mine.

A bunch of members enjoy these for their affordability and do not want to get priced out of the hobby they love so much!

I applaud you for getting good money for the car. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.Like any of us would turn down the money ?
I think it is great that our A bodys are getting more respect,and look forward to them going up in value.

The problem really only comes from un-informed buyers... people see 47K or whatever for a improperly done car, and then assume there rusty pile is worth close to that, so then the guy looking to pay FAIR money for a project, is left out in the cold, because he aint gonna be able to pay big money for that rustbox in joe blows barn. Then, the guys who build cars nicer and more correct, are also let down when there car pulls nowhere nere that money, because they didn't go through all the hype BS.... There are a ton of guys on here that spend a ton to build a car RIGHT, that cant get half what they spent, with there labor figured at 0........ so what does that tell ya?

Now with that explained, you tell me how THIS kind of auction helps the hobby? the guys trying to buy and restore a car in his own garage, like most FABO members? the guys who are trying to enjoy his project without thinking of flipping it for a quick profit?????:sign3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back