1969 Cuda Wiper Motor Connections for aftermarket motor

-
The wiper motor that you bought is a factory style 2 speed wiper motor, entirely different beast than the Three speed/variable speed model. The 2 speed motor has a plug at the end of the wires from the bulkhead connector that plugs into the spade connectors, plus you would need a ballast resistor (not the same kind as the ignition ballast resistor, but looks similar and smaller) or it really can't work (it is mounted over the gold strap). I seem to remember that you also have to use a 2 speed arm for the motor as opposed to the 3 speed arm on your current wiper motor. It is not a simple thing to switch motors because the entire system is different. Oh, yeah, you also need a 2 speed switch...
I am not upgrading, stock variable switch has built in resistor. I found something on for B bodies only, "The motor is the exactly the same. The switch determines if the motor runs with 3 speeds or variable speeds and did on all mopars till the intermittent function was introduced" Some motors had an external resistor on the motor, I am using the stock variable switch which has the resister internal and a provision output for the washer motor when you push in on the switch. It will work I just need to identify the spade connectors.

As you face the motor installed in the car. standing in front of the car, there are 2 horizontal spades on the left, stacked, and there are 2 vertically oriented spades on the right, stacked. The upper horizontal is green, and the lower horizontal is blue. The lower vertical is red. The upper vertical is brown with a white tracer and goes to the right side terminal of the resistor. The other terminal on the resistor carries a solid brown wire from the bulkhead connector. The bulkhead connector takes the 4 solid color wires in the following order from top to bottom: brown, red, green, blue.

I am VERY curious to see if your logic regarding the resistor is correct and you can therefore make the 2 speed motor behave as a variable speed motor by using the variable resistor in the variable motor switch in place of the low speed resistor on a 2 speed motor. Please let us all know and how you wire this. I think if you just bypass the resistor (hook the brown wire out of the bulkhead to the top vertical spade, and used a 2 speed switch, you would just end up with both speeds being the high speed. If you figured out the wire that is hot on high speed and it was hooked to the variable speed output that would allow you to control the input but it isn't clear to me how the 2 speed motor will react (thinking about lamps that won't operate on a dimmer switch). So let us know!

Here are some pics that I hope will help. If you ask around on here somebody might have the plastic plug cover for the 4 wires at the motor from a scrap harness and that would help keep them from arcing to each other. I tried my "parts harnesses but they must all be off 3/variable speed wiper cars because that whole sub harness is gone (attached to the wiper motor I suppose.

DSC01286.JPG
DSC01293.JPG
DSC01288.JPG
DSC01289.JPG
DSC01290.JPG
DSC01291.JPG

DSC01292.JPG

I have a mess with 69 Barracuda, the previous owner screwed up all the wiring, nothing worked and all the fuses blew instantly. I found wires swapped out in the body harness, the fuse box, Dash, no heater cables and A/C Heater vacuum control hoses incorrectly. The Wiper motor was one of the problems, the wires going into the motor had all the cloth insulation had disintegrated shorting out at the motor internally.

OK guys I got it working It was only a $42.00 dollar gamble and my theory proved true. I was able to find a schematic showing the newer style connectors for a 2 speed motor. I just needed to know which spade connectors were for F1=Red, F2=DK Green, P=Blue and A=Brown. It doesn’t matter which motor you have. Control is done in the circuit wiring, fixed or variable resistor (internal to switch or external at Motor) There are the 4 basic wires above. In the schematic for the 2 speed you see there are 6 connectors. I only used 4 because the other 2 are for the fixed resistor. My resistor is still in the A brown circuit, it’s just moved further up the circuit and located in the switch and in my case variable. Any motor can be made variable by adding a variable resistor in the Brown wire A (Armature) so it limits the current through that circuit. I only had the 4 wires, so as you see in the schematic I ignore the top 2 connectors and connect the brown wire directly to where they have that jumper (Red)V3A-18BR. If you wanted to make yours variable you would wire it with just the 4 wires and installing a variable resistor (Rheostat, like a headlight dash dimmer) at the dash coming out of the switch. But you must calculate the wattage needed. I bench tested this cheap motor at full 12 volts and it drew 3.3 amps at 30 Watts, at the slowest variable position it drew 1.3 Amps at 15 Watts. This is a cheap smaller motor so Stock might be 2 or 3 time more. You need to measure the current to determine the wattage needed. (Voltage x Amps= Wattage and for resistance V= I x R or V/I= Résistance. My OEM switch has an internal variable resistance of about 9 ohms based on the current and voltage reading. You also need to make sure that the switch housing is grounded because F2 use that for ground, P gets power when the switch is off, this allows the motor to continue to park position until the internal motor contacts are opened by the cam inside the gear box.This cheap $42.00 motor is just temporary for me because I don’t want to spend 500 bucks for a OEM rebuilt. I fabricated a new harness with 2 feet of the 4 colors and crimped the Male ends that insert into the OEM Harness, this allows me to keep the original wiring that is factory soldered/motor intact for later reinstallation after rebuilding it. I had no need for a motor mounted resistor because mine is integral to the switch. Basically the switch has 2 output pathways one way give full 12 voltage, when you switch to the second position this send power to the Resistor at the motor limiting the current to the motor either fixed or variable. If you do want to go variable you probably need 9 or 10 ohm and the wattage will depend on the current draw of the OEM motor. Volts (12) x Amps) At least a100 watts I estimate. you can find the resistors on Ebay
Thank you everyone for your help.

69 Barracuda variable schematic.jpg
1969 barracuda Motor and switch.jpg
1969 Barracuda wiper variable switch.jpg
both Motors.jpg

Last edited:
Now I can get back to work to reinstall all the instrument cluster and all controls. Everything now works!!! This wiper motor issue was holding me up because you have no access unless you drop most everything. I think I have the entire schematics of this car in my head!!!! lots of work, despite having an engineering degree in electronics it was still a pain. If you have any electrical or AC/heater control questions on an A body Mopar. Send me an Email
69 barracuda dash in process.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a 2 speed switch, minus washer output that I had in my Mopar junk box. Same 4 wires #5 pink is 12 Volts. W socket is empty because this switch has no washer output. I could make this 2 speed switch a variable if I wanted to.
2 speed mopar wiper switch.jpg

Last edited:
The wiper motor that you bought is a factory style 2 speed wiper motor, entirely different beast than the Three speed/variable speed model. The 2 speed motor has a plug at the end of the wires from the bulkhead connector that plugs into the spade connectors, plus you would need a ballast resistor (not the same kind as the ignition ballast resistor, but looks similar and smaller) or it really can't work (it is mounted over the gold strap). I seem to remember that you also have to use a 2 speed arm for the motor as opposed to the 3 speed arm on your current wiper motor. It is not a simple thing to switch motors because the entire system is different. Oh, yeah, you also need a 2 speed switch...
Your wrong, see my post I made it work.

let's try again - the 3 and variable speed system are the same except for switch, and the 2 speed system, which is the wiper motor that you bought, is a different system. You can't just hook it to your 3/variable speed switch

Matt shows you the wiring for the 2 speed motor above, but the arm that attaches to the motor is different and you can't use your switch on a 2 speed motor - they are wired differently. The switch and your new motor are incompatible
I made it work, read my post

your wrong, made it work. Read my post

Your new repop motor is a replica of a factory 2 speed wiper motor. You will need these items to make it work correctly

2 speed wiper switch
2 speed wiper motor crank arm
Low speed resistor
2 speed crank arm bushing and clip
2 speed wiring sub harness (or wire your own)
Mechanical foot washer pump (or electric switch)

If you can wire it as a V speed wiper post the schematic. That would be a great idea if it can be done.

Matt
Nope, read my post. no such thing as a variable motor. All done in the wiring, switch and resistor

Your new repop motor is a replica of a factory 2 speed wiper motor. You will need these items to make it work correctly

2 speed wiper switch
2 speed wiper motor crank arm
Low speed resistor
2 speed crank arm bushing and clip
2 speed wiring sub harness (or wire your own)
Mechanical foot washer pump (or electric switch)

If you can wire it as a V speed wiper post the schematic. That would be a great idea if it can be done.

Matt
Made it work without changing anything

Last edited:
Thats cool that you were able to do that. We are keeping the wiper on my kids car as a 2 speed, and I modded the foot pedal to be an electric washer switch. It plugs in at dome/flasher circuit, and we will repin the electric washer wire at the switch plug into a single connector after I unpin it. Different ideas is what makes fabo great. Heres pix of what we did

20210305_133015.jpg

20210305_130022.jpg

20210305_123819.jpg

20210305_123823.jpg

Last edited:
Thats cool that you were able to do that. We are keeping the wiper on my kids car as a 2 speed, and I modded the foot pedal to be an electric washer switch. It plugs in at dome/flasher circuit, and we will repin the electric washer wire at the switch plug into a single connector after I unpin it. Different ideas is what makes fabo great. Heres pix of what we did

View attachment 1715702486

View attachment 1715702487

View attachment 1715702488

View attachment 1715702489
That looks pretty clean. I like the bracket

I have a mess with 69 Barracuda, the previous owner screwed up all the wiring, nothing worked and all the fuses blew instantly. I found wires swapped out in the body harness, the fuse box, Dash, no heater cables and A/C Heater vacuum control hoses incorrectly. The Wiper motor was one of the problems, the wires going into the motor had all the cloth insulation had disintegrated shorting out at the motor internally.

OK guys I got it working It was only a $42.00 dollar gamble and my theory proved true. I was able to find a schematic showing the newer style connectors for a 2 speed motor. I just needed to know which spade connectors were for F1=Red, F2=DK Green, P=Blue and A=Brown. It doesn’t matter which motor you have. Control is done in the circuit wiring, fixed or variable resistor (internal to switch or external at Motor) There are the 4 basic wires above. In the schematic for the 2 speed you see there are 6 connectors. I only used 4 because the other 2 are for the fixed resistor. My resistor is still in the A brown circuit, it’s just moved further up the circuit and located in the switch and in my case variable. Any motor can be made variable by adding a variable resistor in the Brown wire A (Armature) so it limits the current through that circuit. I only had the 4 wires, so as you see in the schematic I ignore the top 2 connectors and connect the brown wire directly to where they have that jumper (Red)V3A-18BR. If you wanted to make yours variable you would wire it with just the 4 wires and installing a variable resistor (Rheostat, like a headlight dash dimmer) at the dash coming out of the switch. But you must calculate the wattage needed. I bench tested this cheap motor at full 12 volts and it drew 3.3 amps at 30 Watts, at the slowest variable position it drew 1.3 Amps at 15 Watts. This is a cheap smaller motor so Stock might be 2 or 3 time more. You need to measure the current to determine the wattage needed. (Voltage x Amps= Wattage and for resistance V= I x R or V/I= Résistance. My OEM switch has an internal variable resistance of about 9 ohms based on the current and voltage reading. You also need to make sure that the switch housing is grounded because F2 use that for ground, P gets power when the switch is off, this allows the motor to continue to park position until the internal motor contacts are opened by the cam inside the gear box.This cheap $42.00 motor is just temporary for me because I don’t want to spend 500 bucks for a OEM rebuilt. I fabricated a new harness with 2 feet of the 4 colors and crimped the Male ends that insert into the OEM Harness, this allows me to keep the original wiring that is factory soldered/motor intact for later reinstallation after rebuilding it. I had no need for a motor mounted resistor because mine is integral to the switch. Basically the switch has 2 output pathways one way give full 12 voltage, when you switch to the second position this send power to the Resistor at the motor limiting the current to the motor either fixed or variable. If you do want to go variable you probably need 9 or 10 ohm and the wattage will depend on the current draw of the OEM motor. Volts (12) x Amps) At least a100 watts I estimate. you can find the resistors on Ebay
Thank you everyone for your help.

View attachment 1715701738 View attachment 1715701739 View attachment 1715701740 View attachment 1715701741

single speed to variable, same 4 wires
1 speed to variable.jpg
1 speed to variable.jpg

here's a picture of Matt's electric washer foot actuated momentary switch set up in my completed 70 dart interior

DSC04485.JPG

OP - now that you have had some time to live with your 2 speed to variable speed rewire, how is that working for you?

-
Back